WTF?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or you could glue your pens and paper to the table, all at awkward angles.:sad:

We had an English teacher at school who had a compulsion to straighten everything up on his desk for about 5 minutes before each lesson.

Kids have wonderful imaginations! ;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Rig up the draws so when one shuts, another one opens up. Then when he goes to close that one, they all open back up.

In a French company I spent some time in, whenever everyone came in, they all used to go around shaking hands with everyone, everyone. You spent the first half hour shaking hands, the next drinking coffee, did some work, drank coffee, went for lunch, drank coffee, did some work until 5. At 5 if you were on a Cadre contract you had to stay 'till 7ish but it was mostly drinking coffee. In exchange for this extra time drinking coffee, you got an extra weeks holiday due to the fact the maximum working week was 35hrs in France (I think it's changed now). Most peculiar, i don't know if that was just the company I worked for or whether it's common. I have to say they did work hard in-between and a deadline was a deadline.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
peanut said:
that sounds to me like the actions of a man who is under considerable stress but is either unable to do anything about the situation or is putting off making decisions. I recognise the symptoms when I lost my business to the foot and mouth ,putting 26 employees out of work.
How strong is your order book ?

Maybe you should make him a nice cup of tea....these are worrying times for small businesses.:sad:

summerdays said:
Perhaps he has OCD, and then when he's more stressed he is less able to control it.

As soon as I started to read this, I thought as Peanut did. However amusing it might be to "wind him up", please resist the temptation. Just carry on as normal, and let him behave as he feels necessary. This reads to me like OCD.

He sounds like he is under considerable stress, and this is his attempt to exert some control over his environment. I know that it is your office, but he is the Director. If it is "driving you mad", just think how he feels, he is only in your office for a few minutes, but he has the compulsion all the time. I can imagine he does this and then feels that he can tackle the more important issues back in his own office.

If he is on the point of losing his mental stability, it may not take very many more small shoves, and he will take a very, very long time to recover.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Speicher said:
As soon as I started to read this, I thought as Peanut did. However amusing it might be to "wind him up", please resist the temptation. Just carry on as normal, and let him behave as he feels necessary. This reads to me like OCD.

He sounds like he is under considerable stress, and this is his attempt to exert some control over his environment. I know that it is your office, but he is the Director. If it is "driving you mad", just think how he feels, he is only in your office for a few minutes, but he has the compulsion all the time. I can imagine he does this and then feels that he can tackle the more important issues back in his own office.

If he is on the point of losing his mental stability, it may not take very many more small shoves, and he will take a very, very long time to recover.

Speicher. This thread was just a bit of harmless fun. It is getting on my nerves but there you go. What I might do is go AWOL to the loo when it's visiting time. ;)

I wouldn't dream of taking the p*ss out of my gaffer really, he's always been ok with me although he can be a very nasty bastard to others. :sad:

NickM

Veteran
Crackle said:
...I have to say they did work hard in-between and a deadline was a deadline.
Tut. That post was going so well. Why did you have to spoil it?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
snapper_37 said:
Speicher. This thread was just a bit of harmless fun. It is getting on my nerves but there you go. What I might do is go AWOL to the loo when it's visiting time. :biggrin:

I wouldn't dream of taking the p*ss out of my gaffer really, he's always been ok with me although he can be a very nasty bastard to others. ;)

Yes, I realised that the contents of the post was harmless fun, I suppose I may have over-reacted :sad: and mistakenly thought that you might exacerbate the situation. As you suggest, going AWOL might help.

NickM said:
Tut. That post was going so well. Why did you have to spoil it?

If I told you I was the only one who never met the deadlines and could run rings around them when explaining setbacks, complications and difficulty, would it improve :sad: In fact I believe I set a bit of a trend much to the frustration of one of the directors.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Maybe he's just trying to be 'around', visable if you like:wacko::sad:. When I was in management positions we had all kinds of BS training courses etc on how to lead/assert/motivate etc...one of the big NO NO's of good management/leadership is the closed door, behind big desk syndrome. Being 'amoungst the troops' is where it's at from a leaders point of view. Trouble is some people just can't do that naturally, so they get edgy, self concious, confused etc...in short they out of their zone, so they 'leak' and you get the type of behaviour he seems to be demonstrating. What a could manager/leader wants/needs is to be one of the troops..to be accepted on that level...it's toughy sometimes.

I'd ask him if he's ok with everything....or go have a beer after work if he's that kind of a guy...more relaxed ..less walls of hierachy in the way...

But then again he could just be a wackjob:laugh:.

Top Bottom