X35 firmwear update.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lentilbake

Regular
UPDATE: (does anyone actually care about this ^_^).

Mahle came back and explained that:

Just on Thursday the IT team made a adjust in the patch, that's why the information is a little bit different iM2EM126 for the joystick, this doesn't change

Regarding the colours

Alternating green and red*: Generally all updates end this way. The red light on the GCU at the end of the process means that some task was ignored, not necessarily because of an error, it is because the bike does not need that specific task. The green light means that a task was applied successfully.

I was puzzled that the battery controller didn't update even after several attempts and they explained that:

All is ok
Is not a problem with the battery
The patch is made for all type of batteries that we have in the market, C, D, E, and F
The system will ignore the task that are not for the specific bike
The important thing is the firmware of the joystick.

So, there are different batteries even in very similar bikes.

So my next job was to carry out the update on my Ribble bike. The firmwares listed for my bike were exactly the same as on my wife's (Battery 45, Joystick iM2EM126, Smart controller 4107) but the battery information in the app says its some 8 months older (interesting, because I got my bike about a year after my wife's!) so I guess its a different version of the battery.

I ran the update exactly as described on the website with a freshly formatted pen drive and freshly copied installation files. The update finished with a solid green indicator on the GCU cable and when I checked in the app I had iM2EM126 and battery 51 firmwares, the smart controller stayed at 4107. Success!

Mahle also said that:

For the update is very Important:

1. pen drive or USB 32 GB or less
2. Format the pen drive to FAT32 before load any files. This is really important to do every time and for each bike
3. Unzip the files in the laptop or PC and copy and paste the files in the USB stick
4. leave in the pen drive just 17 files, no folders or additional files

5. Once you finish the update, Close app>shut off bike > turn everything on. Then pedal > Run a new diagnosis and verify if all works ok and f the firmware 126 is there

Just hoping now that the 'problems' I had with the bikes have been cured. Will report back.

Hope all this helps someone out there!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks for the very useful information. I'm going to save it for if and when I need it.:thumbsup:

Lentilbake

Regular
Well I spoke too soon. Disaster. I just ran the update one more time on my wife's bike to see if it would update the battery controller and the whole thing failed. The iWOC light is on permanently PINK and I can't read the pen drive on my PC (I think it's failed in some way). I also think the GCU cable may have failed as I've tried a new pen drive and none of the lights come on when I connect it to the power supply.

GUTTED! Don't know what to do, think I just bricked the bike and the GCU cable!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Well I spoke too soon. Disaster. I just ran the update one more time on my wife's bike to see if it would update the battery controller and the whole thing failed. The iWOC light is on permanently PINK and I can't read the pen drive on my PC (I think it's failed in some way). I also think the GCU cable may have failed as I've tried a new pen drive and none of the lights come on when I connect it to the power supply.

GUTTED! Don't know what to do, think I just bricked the bike and the GCU cable!

Oh dear, more questions to Mahle I suppose. Doesn't inspire confidence. It seems their updating procedures are in urgent need of updating.

Lentilbake

Regular
Definitely. I've taken the bike (which is stuck in Safe Mode apparently) to a local Mahle dealer who has a good technical contact at Mahle and hopefully they will find out how to fix it. I guess it will involve removing the battery power supply to reset the system in some way.

The GCU cable is definitely dead so that's going back for a refund.🙁

Top Bottom