X35 range extender bottle cage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I now have 2 bikes with the Mahle X35 system, but only one range extender battery and cage. Obviously I can unbolt the cage from one bike and bolt it on the other, but to avoid the hassle does anyone know if spare ebikemotion X35 range extender cages are available anywhere? I've scoured the internet without success.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is THIS the right one? :whistle:

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

That's the one - well done. I thought I'd looked at Orbea, as one of my bikes is a Gain, but I must have missed it. I can see why you are whistling!
Given the extortionate cost of the X35 extender I suppose it is only to be expected.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I found a solution:
cargo 2.jpg
- a Blackburn Outpost Cargo Cage

cargo 1.jpg

- it worked so well and IMO looks so much better than the awful plastic Mahle version that I bought a second one, and sprayed it black to match my Orbea Gain.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

@youngoldbloke Off topic sorry but what model is your Gain? I spy a full length mudguard.

It's a 2018 alloy D30 - the early D30 was Tiagra equipped. IIRC 105 wasn't available until 2019. I think a number of changes to the alloy Gain frame design have been made since then. Standard SKS guards, I'm running 28mm tyres and there is lots of clearance. I reckon much wider tyres would fit OK. BTW the band you can see on the seat tube just above the bottom bracket is a Dogfang chain catcher. However I can't recall ever needing it!

Dadam

Thanks. Yes the fitting lugs/holes were present on the 2018 model but for some reason on the 2021 model (mine), they deleted them. This caught me out. Currently running Raceblade XLs but they are missing that bit that keeps crud off the BB.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I forgot to mention that If you buy a Cargo Cage to use with the range extender you will also need to purchase a couple of longer straps - the ones supplied aren't long enough. I bought them from MDN Supplies. 400mm x 25mm.

Top Bottom