Xiaomi Redmi Note 9T -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Hell yes - the amount of time she's on there!

Seriously, sounds like an Android One device (Mi A3, maybe?) would suit - I don't know why it isn't more sought after because it's just not full of carp.

Thanks Bonefish, think I may take a look at one. The Redmi Note 10 looks to cover most things although a bit more expensive.

The Moto G8 Power I am currently using, although only a couple of years old is really getting on my nerves now. It won't Bluetooth pair with my Cycle Computer and has now started to just shut itself down and restart when it feels like. It did it yesterday during a 5 mile run so I lost the run on Strava.

Edit. The cycle computer pairs with other older phones I have so not the Cycle computer at fault.

I've been looking for a cheap android as close to £100 as possible for work use with a reasonable camera. Work phone but they're cheapskates.

Samsung bloatware is much complained about but ime they simply get the hardware right and a lot of the software side too. Over the years I've owned top end phones from Samsung and LG. I've owned mid range from honor (Huawei before android issues) and Samsung. The Xiaomi phones, redmi, poco, realme sub brand, etc, are all reasonable. The cameras are either one good back camera and the rest are mediocre or they're simply mediocre. Samsung generally have decent cameras and all of them are OK but just the main one.

One more thing, android one on paper sounds a very good idea. It's about budget pixel like near vanilla OS in budget hardware from other suppliers who don't want to develop their own OS skin over the stock android. So they use Google skin version, a different OS skin to pixel phones but close.

This sounds good but there are a few issues. This was a Google plan to get their ideas of android into budget handsets without developing the hardware. They were only interested in high end back then. Now there's a mid range pixel. Google are now not promoting android one and most hardware brands that use it such as Motorola and Nokia are either moving away or not putting out newer models at the usual rate. Google too has put out less than encouraging trade press releases and comments. Not exactly supporting the OS skin. Trade thoughts are it is being quietly dropped. Not least because the latest updates are falling behind schedule.

IMHO avoid android one phones because no-one knows what's going to happen. It's a bit like when Huawei got blocked by Google android, things were too up in the air.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
I've been looking for a cheap android as close to £100 as possible for work use with a reasonable camera. Work phone but they're cheapskates.

Samsung bloatware is much complained about but ime they simply get the hardware right and a lot of the software side too. Over the years I've owned top end phones from Samsung and LG. I've owned mid range from honor (Huawei before android issues) and Samsung. The Xiaomi phones, redmi, poco, realme sub brand, etc, are all reasonable. The cameras are either one good back camera and the rest are mediocre or they're simply mediocre. Samsung generally have decent cameras and all of them are OK but just the main one.

One more thing, android one on paper sounds a very good idea. It's about budget pixel like near vanilla OS in budget hardware from other suppliers who don't want to develop their own OS skin over the stock android. So they use Google skin version, a different OS skin to pixel phones but close.

This sounds good but there are a few issues. This was a Google plan to get their ideas of android into budget handsets without developing the hardware. They were only interested in high end back then. Now there's a mid range pixel. Google are now not promoting android one and most hardware brands that use it such as Motorola and Nokia are either moving away or not putting out newer models at the usual rate. Google too has put out less than encouraging trade press releases and comments. Not exactly supporting the OS skin. Trade thoughts are it is being quietly dropped. Not least because the latest updates are falling behind schedule.

IMHO avoid android one phones because no-one knows what's going to happen. It's a bit like when Huawei got blocked by Google android, things were too up in the air.

Good investigation Time Waster, a lot better than I would do!!

My problem with Samsung is having witnessed my wife's Samsung Tablet is many apps she wants to download on to it, it won't let her presumably because Samsung have a version or similar app and they obviously want to to use their version.

Have read about similar issues with Samsung Smart TV'S.

You can uninstall apps, even Samsung ones. Samsung store I think can also be ditched.

I use a Samsung galaxy A70, its been pretty good so far but the current versions of the cheaper models are probably better than this mid range Samsung from 2-3 years ago. I've left a lot of Samsung apps on, it often gives me an option if which app to use for a particular requirement and gives the option to always use one app instead of the Samsung one. Once "always" has been chosen the other app or apps don't get offered.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I looked at Xiaomi/Realme and other brands when choosing a mobile phone recently. The reason I was slightly put off was bloatware, although I realise it is nothing on the magnitude that a Samsung is. I also wanted 5G, not that I can get it here, but may as well future proof as I keep phones for a long time. I previously had Cubot phones that are totally bloatware free and great for the money but not 5G. I ended up getting a TCL 20 5G, it's 6.67" and a decent spec, and really good for the money, got NFC, fast. I paid £165 for a 256GB one. I just can't say anything bad about it. It has a tiny bit of bloatware, but really it doesn't bother it all. TCL make tv's etc, they are Chinese. If 6.67" is too big the TCL 10 5G is 6.53" I think and similar spec. I've had Moto G's before, but think TCL and Cubot are better phones and better value for money.

It's went up since I bought it. Still good for £200.

TCL 20 5G

TCL 10 5G very good value at £150 for a decent 5G phone. I slightly wish I had got this one as I find 6.67" just a touch too big.

Isn't TCL the parent company of Nokia? If so the reason they've got reduced bloatware, perhaps, is that their android one. Check to see if time got three or two years guaranteed OS support/updates. If three then if the rumours are true they won't all happen ad Google quietly drop android one.

Personally I don't have a problem with bloatware as you're free to remove a lot of what you don't work. Besides even Samsung bloatware hasn't caused me any issues. It's all opinion though. At least Samsung hardware is reliable and their cameras and camera app works well IME.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I think your right about the Nokia thing. I think most peoples issues with Samsung, is not bloatware it is the price you pay for the branding. The Chinese phones are much higher specced for the price. There's no way I could've got a fairly fast phone, with a 6.67" screen, 6GB ram, NFC, fingerprint sensor, 5G, face unlock, dual sim, or single sim and SD card for £165 from Samsung. The camera is pretty good too. If it breaks it didn't really cost that much anyway. You could argue that the Chinese are maybe spying on us with their cheap phones (or expensive Huawei), but that maybe originated from Apple or Samsung, wouldn't surprise me with the amount of disinformation in the mainstream news these days.

The only really reason I suggested TCL is the 5G in a medium specced phone for a keen price. If that's not needed, there's a vast amount of budget Chinese or branded phones available.

Samsung are getting cheaper. I read somewhere that they are the biggest screen manufacturer and supply most of the main phone brands, including apple! Chips are often the same brand. Memory is not as much a big deal where it comes from. Samsung have their own Chips as well as using other brands on cheapest phones I think. You'll probably not notice much difference between phone Chips across similar price brackets.

There are benefits to spending a bit more for a Samsung but most people don't look much further than price, memory and perhaps chip. Generally the camera and camera app is better on Samsung. For me that's a benefit bit I'll still end up getting a Chinese one for work use primarily to save the £40 or so over a Samsung phone.

Top Bottom