XL Road Bike (Commuter)

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by MartinQ, 24 May 2018.

1. MartinQ

MartinQ Über Member

Hi, After the insurance company has finally given sent a cheque after the accident, I'm looking for a cheapish XL road bike to act as a commuter. Not really too bothered about make etc, but probably in the price £200-300, and as I'm 6'4", it has to be XL and in reasonable condition.

biggs682 likes this.
  2. @biggs682

biggs682 and MartinQ like this.
  3. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Thanks @smokeysmoo

@MartinQ retro or more modern ?

IMG_20180512_061846684.jpg

I have this 24 1/2" R.e.w Reynolds late 70's mostly campagCamp fittings . Nice condition and great to ride and own .

IMG_20180506_072923120.jpg

Then this mid 90's Ribble 653 Reynolds frame full campCampag and it's a 59cm frame .

Let me know if you want any more information.

FishFright and MartinQ like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    MartinQ

MartinQ Über Member

Probably more modern, although the Reynolds does look rather nice.
    What's the spec on the Ribble?

biggs682 likes this.
  5. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

You after drops or would you consider flat bars?

6. biggs682

The Ribble is Reynolds 653 and has done hardly any mileage as original owner rode it on a few rides then left it in his mates shed till earlier this year when i got it and its done about 200 miles since , campagnolo athens rims on campagnolo athena i think hubs and a Campagnolo 8 speed Avanti ergo group set .Tyres are new as originals had perished . Please note the saddle , lights , garmin and under saddle bag SHOWN IN BOTH PICS NOT INCLUDED IN SALE BUT A Saddle will be

7. OP
    OP
    MartinQ

MartinQ Über Member

Probably drops, but would consider flat.

8. OP
    OP
    MartinQ

MartinQ Über Member

What size tyres (25, 28, ...) does it have? 59 frame might be too small, I think I had a 60 a few years back and that felt small, although frames do differ. What are you looking for on it?

biggs682 likes this.
  9. biggs682

I Think 23's but will check lunchtime . Got it on gumtree fro £350 https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/...s-653-frame-loaded-with-campagnolo/1298089141 but open to offers

10. OP
    OP
    MartinQ

MartinQ Über Member

Sounds like it might be a touch small, a bit more than I was looking at and I'd have to replace the tyres (23s tend to be too narrow to be used on a commuter in the winter with my size - 25 at a push, 28 preferable). Let me know, but I may have to pass.

biggs682 likes this.
  11. biggs682

hey no probs i doubt 28's would fit under the rear caliper but will confirm what size are on now

12. biggs682

@MartinQ 23 on the front and 25 on the rear , looks like 25 would fit on the front so unsure why i fitted odd sizes

MartinQ likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    MartinQ

MartinQ Über Member

Hi, Thanks for checking but its probably not going to be quite right. Sorry this time :-).

biggs682 likes this.
  14. biggs682

hey no issues at all , if i get anything else i can let you know

MartinQ likes this.
  15. brucers

brucers Veteran

I have this Wilier that I would let go for 200? Entry level speck but zips along quite nicely and in excellent condition as hardly used, just a few marks from storage.

Attached Files:

• wil.jpg
      wil.jpg
      File size:
      231.2 KB
      Views:
    biggs682 and MartinQ like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice