Xmas Decorations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I must be a right grumpy old granny as not only do I hate halloween & carol singers, I never ever put Christmas decorations up. Don't see the point if you don't have any kids and go elsewhere for Christmas. If I had my way I wouldn't bother with Christmas at all, but the last time I suggested that I opt out of Christmas my mum got upset.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I was in Huddersfield on Saturday with the youngest. He looked up at the xmas decorations and said "Dad, why are there presents in the sky?"

"Christmas decorations" I replied.

"But it's not Christmas, it's Halloween" he said with truly disgusted look.

He may only be 3, but he's been well trained ;)

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
The classier houses by me just leave them up all year, great to see a couple of manky old reindeer on the side of a house in July.
Saw the Xmas display in the Mander centre in Wolverhampton yesterday, truly grim, a bit of spray snow and a few bits of tinsel next to Spud-u-like.

Still, we have the grand switch-on at Merry Hill by Stavros Flatley to look forward to.

Lizban

Should be banned until 1st Dec. And then only if it is a retail outlet that can PROVE that it will increase sales. If they can't same rules as a domestic setting apply.

All domestic settings should be banned from any until the weekend before Christmas - If Christmas is on a Sunday that's what the saturday is for.

Rant over (for now)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Hugo15 said:
Went out to play with the kids this afternoon and a bloke down the road was up a ladder putting Xmas decorations on the outside of his house. WTF?

His progress was slowed somewhat by 3 six year old girls telling him what a plonker he was ;).

....can you be certain he wasn't taking last year's down?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
As I live on my own so I don’t put up any decorations, I just don’t see the point, Christmas is more about the children than the real meaning these days. Every year I have to go to my sisters, it’s all very nice, but I would sooner go the church come home have a breakfast and go out for a bike ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was always told by my dear departed mother, Put the tree & decs up 12 days before the 25th and take down 12 days after. E'r indoors gets a little miffed when I refuse to put them up any earlier. And she cant do it because the tree & decs are in the loft and she will never go up there.

Lizban said:
Should be banned until 1st Dec. And then only if it is a retail outlet that can PROVE that it will increase sales. If they can't same rules as a domestic setting apply.

All domestic settings should be banned from any until the weekend before Christmas - If Christmas is on a Sunday that's what the saturday is for.

Rant over (for now)

ianrauk said:
I was always told by my dear departed mother, Put the tree & decs up 12 days before the 25th and take down 12 days after. E'r indoors gets a little miffed when I refuse to put them up any earlier.

+1 I was brought up with the same rules ;)

and the same response from the other half tbh.

darkstar

The majority of the people who are putting lights up this early generally make a bad job of it and they end up making their house look like Blackpool on a bad day. I like simple white lights outside put up 12 days before christmas personally :evil:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Lizban said:

Rant over (for now)

How bloody miserable. Only put decorations up to make profit...

I'd happily see no decorations until the beginning of December, after that, anything goes. It's all supposed to be fun, you know. I love putting the tree up and all that. I love walking along a street on a miserable evening and seeing the lights on trees sparkling inside rooms. It's not hurting anyone.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
No decorations until after daughter's birthday is celebrated on the 11th... must be down by the 6th January or we're all doomed....

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Aperitif said:
Way to go vern.

Cheers ;)

Aperitif said:
Light relief - everyone needs it. Christmas is like Diwali without the fireworks. The New Year - ugh! Bang bang bang! Fireworks everywhere - all in the worst possible taste.

Sky lanterns for the New Year for me. As much as I like a good bang the New Year, in my opinion, deserves a gentle contemplative start. Mine are due to be delivered any time now so I can have quite a few trial runs :rolleyes:

Top Bottom