Xmas present from me to me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Rover

The Rover

Guru
Not the best of pics as the blue is slightly darker. I haven't used it yet apart from a quick spin around the cul de sac but it looks fantastic and the LBS have done a great job of fitting the extras/upgrades.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
:training:Nice bike!

I've also just joined the CAADX club by treating myself to a CAADX 105 Disc from EBay.

The seller had only ridden it once, decided it made his bottom hurt and didn't touch it again! It was the 2016 model (only a month old) and still had the manufacturer's wax on the chain and sprockets and little knobbly bits on running down the centre of the tyres.

I was the only bidder and got it for the starting price of £650. Well chuffed!

I've changed the tyres to 35C Marathon Plus and fitted some SKS Chromoplastic mudguards, as I'm going to use it for a winter commuter.

Where did your LBS mount your left-rear mudguard stay as I can't see from the picture? I ended up manufacturing a small right-angle bracket and attached to rear calliper mount.

I've also bought a rack the same as yours but haven't fitted it yet.

Took it out for a shakedown 32 miler yesterday and absolutely loved it. These CAADX frames are amazing for smoothing out the bumpy bits and the 35C tyres probably help a lot as well. I reckon these bikes are probably the perfect winter commuting machine.

Not impressed with the factory wheels so don't blame you for changing them. I gave all the spokes a pluck and don't think I found 2 of equal tension. On the first hill of yesterday's ride, as soon as I got out of the saddle I could hear the unmistakable sound of unwinding spoke twist. I'm going to get them into my Truing Stand after a couple of hundred miles for a good stressing and re-tension session. I also felt they made the bike look like an advertising hoarding so have removed the monstrous decals with the help of a hair drier and the bike looks much better for it.

As far as gearing goes, I found myself in my Granny-Gear far more often than usual as my road bike (Merida Ride) goes up to 32 teeth on the rear cassette. I must admit, I like having a couple of cogs to spare on the steep stuff but suppose I'll just have to 'Man up'. :training:

The disc brakes don't stop me as well as I would have expected them to, but assume they will improve somewhat as the pads bed in. At least they should stop me the same wet or dry.

Anyway, best of luck with your new bike - I'm sure we'll enjoy them both immensely. :cheers:

Graham.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Very nice !
I am not allowed a new bike so i am stealth upgrading , new wheels, carbon seatpost etc ........

I have a rigid mtb i would like to change to drops , i just need a road front mech, bars and some 8x 3 shifters and i might consider it as a permanent commuter .

OP
OP
The Rover

The Rover

Guru
:training:Nice bike!

I've also just joined the CAADX club by treating myself to a CAADX 105 Disc from EBay.

The seller had only ridden it once, decided it made his bottom hurt and didn't touch it again! It was the 2016 model (only a month old) and still had the manufacturer's wax on the chain and sprockets and little knobbly bits on running down the centre of the tyres.

I was the only bidder and got it for the starting price of £650. Well chuffed!

I've changed the tyres to 35C Marathon Plus and fitted some SKS Chromoplastic mudguards, as I'm going to use it for a winter commuter.

Where did your LBS mount your left-rear mudguard stay as I can't see from the picture? I ended up manufacturing a small right-angle bracket and attached to rear calliper mount.

I've also bought a rack the same as yours but haven't fitted it yet.

Took it out for a shakedown 32 miler yesterday and absolutely loved it. These CAADX frames are amazing for smoothing out the bumpy bits and the 35C tyres probably help a lot as well. I reckon these bikes are probably the perfect winter commuting machine.

Not impressed with the factory wheels so don't blame you for changing them. I gave all the spokes a pluck and don't think I found 2 of equal tension. On the first hill of yesterday's ride, as soon as I got out of the saddle I could hear the unmistakable sound of unwinding spoke twist. I'm going to get them into my Truing Stand after a couple of hundred miles for a good stressing and re-tension session. I also felt they made the bike look like an advertising hoarding so have removed the monstrous decals with the help of a hair drier and the bike looks much better for it.

As far as gearing goes, I found myself in my Granny-Gear far more often than usual as my road bike (Merida Ride) goes up to 32 teeth on the rear cassette. I must admit, I like having a couple of cogs to spare on the steep stuff but suppose I'll just have to 'Man up'. :training:

The disc brakes don't stop me as well as I would have expected them to, but assume they will improve somewhat as the pads bed in. At least they should stop me the same wet or dry.

Anyway, best of luck with your new bike - I'm sure we'll enjoy them both immensely. :cheers:

Graham.

Thanks for the write up Graham, sounds like you got an absolute bargain. I'll have a look at the mud guards when I get chance and put up a picture. I've also got askium wheels on another bike and they're spot on at my level. Looking forward to getting out on it!

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
Changed it from 46/36 to 50/34 as that's what I have on my other bikes and suits me for the riding around here.

Not planning to take it off road then? Missing the point a bit IMO

D

Deleted member 1258

Very easy on the eye and just the sort of ruffty-tuffty hooligan machine that would appeal to me (if I were looking :whistle:).

Enjoy. My only question, and this isn't a criticism of your choice because it will probably work very well for you, but why the 28mm tyres? I commute on a set of Schwalbe 35mm Road Cruiser tyres (these are apparently closer to 37/38mm I have been told) and I don't feel they hold me back at all in the speed stakes and they are VERY good on the crap road surfaces we often encounter when commuting all year round and in the dark. Crashes through anything without fear of damage and I was chuckling to myself when reading THIS RECENT POST about pot holes. Call that a pot hole, would barely register on my 35c's.

I'm on 700x25 Bontrager AW1 Hard Case Lites and was surprised when I went back and looked at the pothole in daylight, it felt a lot bigger than than it was when I hit it.

avsd

Guru
A very nice bike with good sensible upgrades. It should make a great commuting bike. I hope you put many happy miles on it.

PS I also hope you have the health to enjoy it after you tell the 'wench' :laugh:

OP
OP
The Rover

The Rover

Guru
A very nice bike with good sensible upgrades. It should make a great commuting bike. I hope you put many happy miles on it.

PS I also hope you have the health to enjoy it after you tell the 'wench' :laugh:

The wench was fine, she can see the benefits especially since a work move has meant I can commute which in turn has contributed towards over a stone in weight loss since May. It's been difficult to get out this week but I did manage a hilly 40 miler last week the day after the worst of the flooding up here.
The bike was perfect and the 28mm tyres dealt with the crap on the roads with ease.
This picture is at the top of sheep house in Rivington if any knows it.
image.jpg

image.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The wench was fine, she can see the benefits especially since a work move has meant I can commute which in turn has contributed towards over a stone in weight loss since May. It's been difficult to get out this week but I did manage a hilly 40 miler last week the day after the worst of the flooding up here.
The bike was perfect and the 28mm tyres dealt with the crap on the roads with ease.
This picture is at the top of sheep house in Rivington if any knows it. View attachment 114749

View attachment 114748
Looks good!

Rivington is one place 'locally' that I have not yet cycled to. I may have a go, and if I do I will be coming back up the Sheep House Lane climb.

Top Bottom