Xmas present from me to me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Rover

Guru
Ive been looking at Cx bikes recently as a few of the lads at work commute on them. Today I decided to go a bit further than looking and bought a cannondale cx with tiagra from the LBS. I'm upgrading the wheels to askiums with some 28mm gp4 seasons, mudguards and rack. He's changing the gearing to match my other bikes and making some other tweaks. The roads on my commute are pretty grim so I'm hoping this bike will cope better.

I'm not the giddy type when getting new stuff but I'm quite looking forward to picking it up on Wednesday and the LBS have thrown a lot of the extras in.

image.jpeg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Very easy on the eye and just the sort of ruffty-tuffty hooligan machine that would appeal to me (if I were looking :whistle:).

Enjoy. My only question, and this isn't a criticism of your choice because it will probably work very well for you, but why the 28mm tyres? I commute on a set of Schwalbe 35mm Road Cruiser tyres (these are apparently closer to 37/38mm I have been told) and I don't feel they hold me back at all in the speed stakes and they are VERY good on the crap road surfaces we often encounter when commuting all year round and in the dark. Crashes through anything without fear of damage and I was chuckling to myself when reading THIS RECENT POST about pot holes. Call that a pot hole, would barely register on my 35c's.

OP
OP
The Rover

The Rover

Guru
It's a fair point about the tyres, I was going to go with 32mm but listened to feedback from colleagues who use the same roads and thought I'd get away with the 28mm. I'll give them a go and see how I get on. Ive got 25mm gp4 seasons on another bike and I'm size they size up larger? The next dilemma is telling the wench!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Very easy on the eye and just the sort of ruffty-tuffty hooligan machine that would appeal to me (if I were looking :whistle:).

Enjoy. My only question, and this isn't a criticism of your choice because it will probably work very well for you, but why the 28mm tyres? I commute on a set of Schwalbe 35mm Road Cruiser tyres (these are apparently closer to 37/38mm I have been told) and I don't feel they hold me back at all in the speed stakes and they are VERY good on the crap road surfaces we often encounter when commuting all year round and in the dark. Crashes through anything without fear of damage and I was chuckling to myself when reading THIS RECENT POST about pot holes. Call that a pot hole, would barely register on my 35c's.

Ditto - 35mm Marathon Deluxe here.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's a nice looking bike. How much did it cost,if you don't mind me asking?
Google suggests £900 odd

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/cannondale-caadx-tiagra.html?gclid=CJ2vhtvO7ckCFUeVGwodKVUAHw

Xmas presents to oneself are definitely the way to go. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought a CAADX a few months ago - they are fun bikes!

Stick with the bigger tyres. You said yourself that you bought it because your local roads are 'pretty grim' so why immediately try to reduce the advantages offered by your sturdy new bike?

I have 35s on my bike and they roll well when I put enough pressure in them. but I have the option of lowering the pressures and tackling some rough(ish) stuff.

These bikes are halfway between a road bike and a mountain bike so to me it makes sense to use tyres which are halfway between road tyres and mountain bike tyres as well!

PS Here's mine ...

caadx-first-ride-rochdale-canal-towpath-jpg.94201.jpg

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ive been looking at Cx bikes recently as a few of the lads at work commute on them. Today I decided to go a bit further than looking and bought a cannondale cx with tiagra from the LBS. I'm upgrading the wheels to askiums with some 28mm gp4 seasons, mudguards and rack. He's changing the gearing to match my other bikes and making some other tweaks. The roads on my commute are pretty grim so I'm hoping this bike will cope better.

I'm not the giddy type when getting new stuff but I'm quite looking forward to picking it up on Wednesday and the LBS have thrown a lot of the extras in.

View attachment 113505

Where did you buy it from? Ewood Bikes?

OP
OP
The Rover

The Rover

Guru
Yes, it's my fifth bike from Ewood bikes. Without quoting figures I'm really happy with the deal I got especially when I take into account the wheel and tyre upgrade.

Cheers

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes, it's my fifth bike from Ewood bikes. Without quoting figures I'm really happy with the deal I got especially when I take into account the wheel and tyre upgrade.

Cheers

I like their new shop. It's a lot bigger than their old one across the road. It was nice to see the old Aqueduct pub put to good use, rather than it being boarded up, or worse knocked down!

Top Bottom