XML-T6 Torch or "Bike Light"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
C&B only offer a months warranty btw and you can get the same torches from China which is where they get them or buy the very same on ebay by UK sellers although these sellers are based in china anyway?? I myself have been looking at these myself on the bay however I got my batteries out of old laptops, at least I know they are decent brand ie Sanyo and Samsung. Apparently some of these ultrafire batteries are rubbish and its pot luck what you get!
Thanks – means it's probably just as well going down the eBay route, but I take your point about batteries. Torchy's Test that HovR linked to above seems to confirm that they can be a really mixed bag! :huh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think this is a case of 'never being happy with what you have' I know as I'm just the same :rolleyes:

When I ran a Cat-eye I thought it was great, then moved up to the Hope vision 1, then added another Hope to make the symmetrical look on the bars.
Now I have the Moon500 and the Hopes are just back up/flashers on the commute.

I am already looking with interest at the Lezyne Mega drive 1000 lumen lights :stop:

You are worse than me.

fossyant

PS ordering from China can take some time so if you need them, go for a UK seller. You can't go far wrong with two torches. I ordered a cheap 3x T6 light in September, wasn't posted till early October and still hasn't arrived.

HovR

Über Member
PS ordering from China can take some time so if you need them, go for a UK seller. You can't go far wrong with two torches. I ordered a cheap 3x T6 light in September, wasn't posted till early October and still hasn't arrived.

Where did you order from? I've found that DealExtreme take far longer to post than most eBay sellers from China/Japan - Most of these arrive within two weeks.

potsy

Rambler
You are worse than me.

I even cleaned the bike yesterday, somebody has to keep the standards up in S Mancs while you are having a rest :tongue:

Mr Mac, are the lights you are looking at off road ones?
I only ask as if you are wanting to aim them down the road it could be very dazzling to oncoming drivers.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Mr Mac, are the lights you are looking at off road ones?
I only ask as if you are wanting to aim them down the road it could be very dazzling to oncoming drivers.
None of these budget lights have a road-friendly beam pattern, and dazzling other road users is something that concerns me greatly, even with my Moon.

To be honest though, the parts of my commute where I need the extra lighting power are the parts where I don't really see oncoming traffic anyway, so the idea to point one torch/light a bit further up the road than I currently point the Moon won't bother anyone - plus I can toggle it off when I'm mixing it with traffic like a 'high beam'.

Up until now I've been in the "magicshine lights (and clones) are dangerously anti-social" camp, but increasingly it seems a bright light will not only help me see but also be seen - like the UFO I mentioned a few posts back :whistle:

Yes, I'll point it down enough not to blind and/or adopt the second light high-beam principle. Also when I do get my hands on a CREE LED torch/light, I'm going to make it a personal project of mine to find out how to turn it into something truly road-worthy on a budget... frankly it amazes me that Magicshine themselves haven't created a road version of their 808.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Here's a link to a Wide Angle Lens, which converts the all-round beam to a wider, shallower beam so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic.

Looks like the kind of thing I will need for a light on my 'bent ... ^_^

Milo

Guru
Tbh I have the same light and yes while the beam pattern is a bit poo I rarely find myself needing to use the high beam. I just keep it on low and keep it pointed down. I have never had any complaints about it being dazzling and have looked at it from a distance and been happy.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I bought one of those lights from dealextreme last year which threw out 900lumens ish. I recently bought 2x Ultrafire WF502 torches with 28650 batteries and charger from a uk supplier on ebay which performs better than the one from dealextreme.

fossyant

Just a heads up about lights from HK or China. There has been a restriction on battery powered items leaving the country from mid October until about the 8th Nov. This is due to some local elections. This is from the seller, and I have heard similar news via a MTB site concerning the delays.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I had a Cree XML T6 from China and it was an awesome light. Unfortunately, the seller sent the wrong adaptor for use in the UK - something for which they may, as individual sellers - have clued up on now..? Given that I was in an intense period of training, I bought a Magicshine because I couldn't be arsed to wait the few weeks for the right adaptor. When it came I sold the Cree but I've no doubt to it's brilliance given the money they cost having used it once or twice before the power died and I had no way of charging it thereafter! Might be worth bearing in mind - and I mean...send the right adaptor, please!

fossyant

The Chinese lights ship with a US plug. Best off buy an adapter from the local supermarket that is fused. The ones they send from China aren't fused.

Top Bottom