XP Pro or XP Home full edition, not OEM?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

CC Addict
Are you still after a copy of XP? I'm sure I have an OEM one here. Not machine specific either.

I know this used to be the case with 2000/XP, but i'm not sure with Windows 7....

Can you buy Windows 7 and use it's licence to allow you to run Win XP?

OP
OP
beanzontoast
2Loose said:
Regarding Dual booting, don't bother unless running a virtual machine has already been tried..

Get a copy of Virtual Box (free) and run that directly from within Windows. That way you can run a proper copy of Windows XPMeNT9895Dos etc. from an icon on your desktop, either full screen or inside a window.

You will of course still need a proper copy of whatever operating system you want to use and it will not mess about with bootloaders and therefore reduce the chance of breaking the existing OS.

Thanks for this suggestion. I've never tried running a virtual machine but am up for giving it a go. Have used dual booting before, mostly with Linux, so I know it can cause issues sometimes!

numbnuts said:
This stinks Microsoft have bought out windows 7 and it is "not fit for purpose" as it can’t use old software, if that’s the case there should be a warning saying so on the box/computer:angry:

Not a effing again?

Had this after Windows 98 and it still goes on.:biggrin:

Im still on XP...I tried Vista and hated it...plus nothing worked and it was memory hungry...never tried se7en.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
hackbike 666 said:
Not a effing again?

Had this after Windows 98 and it still goes on.:angry:

Im still on XP...I tried Vista and hated it...plus nothing worked and it was memory hungry...never tried se7en.

Yeah, I hated Vista too - I stuck with it for months before pulling the plug. Windows 7 behaves better than Vista IME. Daughter has it and she likes it a lot. I have a foot in both worlds, old and new, so to speak. I think people who haven't known XP or Vista and who aren't tied to older versions of software will take to Windows 7. It's a familiarity thing in part.

Beanzontoast, if this idea is specifically for graphics intensive stuff (your flightsim for example) then I don't think the XP in a virtual machine would give as good performance as a proper dual boot. Reasoning is that the vm creates a virutal graphics adaptor which tends to have less functions than a gaming capable gpu. ATI/Nvidia drivers are useless in a vm.

Still, it costs nothing to try it out and see if it is acceptable...

OP
OP
beanzontoast
2Loose said:
Beanzontoast, if this idea is specifically for graphics intensive stuff (your flightsim for example) then I don't think the XP in a virtual machine would give as good performance as a proper dual boot. Reasoning is that the vm creates a virutal graphics adaptor which tends to have less functions than a gaming capable gpu. ATI/Nvidia drivers are useless in a vm.

Still, it costs nothing to try it out and see if it is acceptable...

I've looked at a couple of You Tube vids about Virtual Box since yesterday and have come away with the same feeling. Still might give it a try for fun just to see how other apps run on it ;).

... and meantime, still looking to find a full legit version of XP Pro or Home from somewhere without it costing an arm and a leg. Ever the optimist! :biggrin:

beanzontoast said:
I've looked at a couple of You Tube vids about Virtual Box since yesterday and have come away with the same feeling. Still might give it a try for fun just to see how other apps run on it ;).

... and meantime, still looking to find a full legit version of XP Pro or Home from somewhere without it costing an arm and a leg. Ever the optimist! :smile:

I use it (in full screen mode) to play a couple of old strategy games that don't work on win7, but they certainly don't require a lot of fps. I certainly don't notice any slowdown playing movies or using office or surfing in it either. That said, I wouldn't play any shooters or fps dependent games in it either.

Good luck finding a legit copy of XP.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
classic33 said:
XP Pro Upgrade gives a full working version. even from Windows 95.

That's what I call an upgrade!

Now looking like one of the Ebay people is going to accept a personal cheque after all, so my search may be over. Thanks for all the advice folks. Much appreciated. :ohmy:

classic33

Leg End Member
beanzontoast said:
That's what I call an upgrade!

Now looking like one of the Ebay people is going to accept a personal cheque after all, so my search may be over. Thanks for all the advice folks. Much appreciated. :laugh:

Offer made still stands if you need it.

Top Bottom