Yawning Steel dropout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi looking for some suggestions on how to gently close up this yawning dropout, Not quite sure what caused it, but powering up hill while under the influence probably didn't help.

Yarning Dropout.jpg
The Mech is a twisted mess and the top jockey wheel has shattered teeth, when I came to a sudden halt I was two or three gears from bottom and the chain had crossed the freewheel to jam against the spokes.

This occurred out of the blue, I don't remember shifting the levers or any other contributory factors.

I am thinking of using an adjustable wrench to straighten the mech hanger, but how to best close up the dropout?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Does it have a wheel adjustment screw? It looks like it does, from shape of the drop out. I would remove paint from the drop out and determine of there is a crack in the drop out. If the drop out is cracked, it could be welded, filling in the hole where the wheel adjustment screw was (tig), or you hay have to replace the drop out. Then, the derailleur hanger will have to be re-aligned. If there is no crack in the drop out, you may be able to close the gap gradually and carefully with those selfsame adjustable pliers, as the steel is usually mild steel and fairly malleable, but you run the risk of harming the drop out even more. The best way to do this would be to take this to your LBS and see what they can do for you. Otherwise, care and patience may save the day

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Thanks for the input guys. I removed the adjustment screws when I got the frame, as they had 'had it', it does not appear to have any cracks and in any case probably would not be worth the expense of getting it welded if it did. I have just tried a front axle in the hanger thread which is to small, however I have got a pair of Cyclus alignment tools which looks to fit the thread.
Dropout Two.jpg

Where to start applying incremental forces and whether it's worth putting the one adjustment screw I do have into the dropout?
Gonna take this one slowly.

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
The hammer on the block was one thing, the round file was quite another!
Dropout three.jpg

Hopefully I've done enough and not to much. Bar some further slight adjustment and more leverage on the hanger.

Top Bottom