Years break....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its nice for people to read that all is not lost if you have time off the bike...
As good as 2 years for me after chest and lung problems. Once I decided I would get going again at 57...it was torture, finding the mojo, struggling along, a fraction of my old self...but the truth is you just need to percivere. I could go almost as fast as I always did...just not for anywhere near as long as I used to.
I always knew commuting is the best thing, regular mileage so ive rebuilt a bit this year, now commuting 15 miles a day, a few days a week plus occasional 20 milers in the weekends
50 miles, which was just a regular ride, seems a long way off yet...but thoroughly enjoying getting some fitness back, this last few weeks especially. I can average 15 mph over 20 or 30 miles, despite my meagre mileage over the last 2 years and a slightly resticted lung on one side.
I dont think you ever lose the desire...cycling is a funny thing, you may struggle sometimes, you may give up for a while, but its part of you.

OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
Its nice for people to read that all is not lost if you have time off the bike...
As good as 2 years for me after chest and lung problems. Once I decided I would get going again at 57...it was torture, finding the mojo, struggling along, a fraction of my old self...but the truth is you just need to percivere. I could go almost as fast as I always did...just not for anywhere near as long as I used to.
I always knew commuting is the best thing, regular mileage so ive rebuilt a bit this year, now commuting 15 miles a day, a few days a week plus occasional 20 milers in the weekends
50 miles, which was just a regular ride, seems a long way off yet...but thoroughly enjoying getting some fitness back, this last few weeks especially. I can average 15 mph over 20 or 30 miles, despite my meagre mileage over the last 2 years and a slightly resticted lung on one side.
I dont think you ever lose the desire...cycling is a funny thing, you may struggle sometimes, you may give up for a while, but its part of you.
Amazing, keep going !

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom