Years break....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sully

Über Member
Hi all, hope your all well, whats your thoughts, after completing the Nottm 100 last year I decided on having a break, 40 years old and was getting a few niggles, anyway story short I didn't get back on a bike..after lumping weight on and coincided with a few fellas doing a few miles on a Sunday morning, so tires and having spent an age trying to get into my bib shorts off I go, where we going with this I can hear you ask, well a Year out of the saddle with no riding at all and no means of keeping fit and I found it surprisingly easy, fair enough not massively far, fast or hilly but it was ok, 25 miles at 15 mph, so my question, is this some sort of muscle memory at work, I expected it to be torture !

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
No, its because your 40 and not 57 like me. Ive also broken both my arms, both knees and cracked 3 vertabrae in my neck. You dont stop riding at 40 because of a couple of niggles. My father in law is 84 and rides at least 15 km every day. He says it keeps him young. We should all follow his example.^_^

Katherine

Guru
Well done. I bet you're relieved. Keep it up now because it is much harder to regain fitness as you get older. Have you still been reasonably active, even though you weren't cycling?

OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
No, its because your 40 and not 57 like me. Ive also broken both my arms, both knees and cracked 3 vertabrae in my neck. You dont stop riding at 40 because of a couple of niggles. My father in law is 84 and rides at least 15 km every day. He says it keeps him young. We should all follow his example.^_^
Could it be due to having a half decent bike perchance. :becool:
nothing todo with having a good bike mate, bottom of the range G
Could it be due to having a half decent bike perchance. :becool:
The human body is a remarkable thing. Me=Stage 4 cancer 14 Chemo Cycles 2 Bone Marrow transplants... No bike for 2 years. Within two months I am already back riding with the club and feeling good.

Well done for returning to it, your body does not forget.

Enjoy.
Thanks all, forgot how amazingly supportive the cycling family are
Steve, just wasn't enjoying battering myself (too competitive) you stay safe after all you've been through mate
Nut, absolutely nothing todo with having a good bike mate, bottom of the range (steel) Giant
Dark Rider....your amazing mate, fair play to you and hope things are on the up
Katherine...did bugga all, well walked the dogs for 30 mins per day
Saluki my uncle is mid 80's and still cycling, back in the day he and my dad were very keen cyclists
Thank you ...Easy Tiger
;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The human body is a remarkable thing. Me=Stage 4 cancer 14 Chemo Cycles 2 Bone Marrow transplants... No bike for 2 years. Within two months I am already back riding with the club and feeling good.

Well done for returning to it, your body does not forget.

Enjoy.
Well done to both the OP and you!

I made a much quicker 'comeback' than expected after 8 months off my bike due to illness. My doctors were pretty impressed, but I think they are used to patients who just take their meds but don't make any significant lifestyle changes.

It did feel that my body 'remembered' that I had previously been a cyclist, but it still takes an effort to actually get fit again.

Illness & recovery for me has been from the age of 56 to 59 and it was scary enough and hard enough to convince me to avoid getting fat and unfit again!

Katherine

Guru
30 mins walking every day is really good for you and probably helped on your ride.

Are you going out for another ride again on Sunday?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A steel Giant is still a good bike, nowt wrong with old steelies fella ..........................I've got a few (8 but TBH one of them is an MTB the rest are all pretty quick)

Top Bottom