Yet another little gem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
its a riddle jim? what does it mean?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
That means that for my not inconsiderable weight, I'd have to be pumping out a fair few watts to get me up an incline.

I've only done one graduated fitness test, and I wimped out at 300W but that was after 40mins of incremented steps.
Sounds about right from my very limited experience?

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

The acid test.

Took a ride to the Severn Valley and Kinver on Saturday to try some 12%, 14% and an 18% gradient.

My Dawes is geared up to tackle a 16% according to the mythology.

Riding the flat on the way over there, I was cruising at about 15.5 mph against a 7 mph ish headwind. I will use CTC's PowerCalc for the sums so anyone can double-check my results. Power roughly 225 Watts tops.

I rode the hills seated on the saddle, at a RPE of about 6 out of 10, breathing steady but not overly labouring.

On the 12%, speed dropped to 6 mph, for 360 Watts. On the 14%, speed dropped to 5.2 mph for about the same power output. On the 18%, I couldn't stay in the saddle , stood up and struggled up the hill at 4.5 mph, and my power output went up to 380ish Watts.

My bodyweight was 89 kg. The successful climbs in a seated position using gearing calculated by myself were done at 360 Watts output. 360/89 = 4.04 Watts/kg.

So lo and behold, Jimbo has 4.04 W/kg. Marginally above a 'Half decent cyclist'.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Strangely enough, when I'm in the gym on the upright bike displaying 380 - 400 Watts, my heart rate is at 170 - 175ish BPM.
Which is 220 minus my age ( MAX ).

When I really push on the gym bike, my HR goes to 185 - 190.

Which just goes to show 220 minus age is a 'safety' warning and NOT maximum.

PK99

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Strangely enough, when I'm in the gym on the upright bike displaying 380 - 400 Watts, my heart rate is at 170 - 175ish BPM.
Which is 220 minus my age ( MAX ).

When I really push on the gym bike, my HR goes to 185 - 190.

Which just goes to show 220 minus age is a 'safety' warning and NOT maximum.

It is not even a safety warning - it originated when two cardiologists going to a conference did a quick literature rewiew and collated the results of a number of studies of age/max heart rate measurements they came up with a y = mx + C graph as a best fit. It was never intended to be definitive and never inteneded as an exercise guide

220 - age, adjusted for weight and +/- 20% might get closer

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

PK99 said:
It is not even a safety warning - it originated when two cardiologists going to a conference did a quick literature rewiew and collated the results of a number of studies of age/max heart rate measurements they came up with a y = mx + C graph as a best fit. It was never intended to be definitive and never inteneded as an exercise guide

220 - age, adjusted for weight and +/- 20% might get closer

Yes, I agree.

As far as the commercial 'Personal Training' industry is concerned ( Virgin Active et al ), it is a point where they prefer their clients to ceiling, for legal reasons :biggrin:

NickM

Veteran
Since I am no Lance Armstrong (10 mile PB 21:37) and could manage about 5.3W/kg maximal aerobic power when at my best, I reckon 3.5W/kg would be a pretty modest result.

Top Bottom