yet another newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stange

Getting popular this cycling lark!

I will be returning to road bikes after a gap of about 15 years (i'm 36ish). I used to a have a Raleigh Kellogs Pro Tour bike which I loved but got rid off in a fit of pique a few years ago, I'm now in the market for the new one. I'll be taking advantage of my the RidetoWork scheme, which for me is linked to Evans, so I should have a reasonable variety to look at. This will be in January. It will be a road bike (I've got a vey heavy MTB which I've used about 10 times and just don't like) and my budget should be in the region of £650.

To be honest, my interest has been sparked by reading alot about cycling and also watching a lot more on the telly (ITV4 has been great this year). Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself.....

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hi Stange and welcome.

Warning - cycle accessories and constant upgrades can seriously damage your bank balance :biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

Stange, Hello and welcome:smile: If I recall the C2W scheme allows you to spend upto 1k on bike and associated equipment.

As you say at least at Evans you get a half way decent selection of bikes, pity you couldn't start your scheme now, as they will be selling off last years 2008 models at reduced prices.

If you are intending to use it in all weathers, just make sure you can fit full mudguards and that there is a boss mount on the rear seat stay for a pannier rack.

You will get lots of advice on here, drop in to the cafe, it's where most new posters introduce themselves.

Once again, welcome to CC a very Friendly (or friedly) place, if you want clarification just ask, it's a longish story involving Cycling Jerseys.:biggrin:

OP
OP
S

Stange

Yes, I can spend up to £1k on the bike and related "safety" equipment....

The bike that is really catching my eye at the moment is the Trek 1.5 but, I'm aware that there are probably better equipped bikes out there for the same money, and I doubt if I'll get a 1.5 in January.......

OP
OP
S

Stange

since my last post I've been keeping a close eye on the Evans website, as the time for my purchase is drawing nearer. They've got the new Trek 1.5, which is nice but not as nice as the 2008 model, and they've got a new Felt F95 Garmin replica, which has really turned my head, it's cheaper and I think, better specc'd. hmmm.....

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
:angry: to the mad house. Pull up a saddle and stay a while. What ever :bicycle:you end up with just make sure you enjoy it. Have fun :smile:

Stange said:
Getting popular this cycling lark!

I will be returning to road bikes after a gap of about 15 years (i'm 36ish). I used to a have a Raleigh Kellogs Pro Tour bike which I loved but got rid off in a fit of pique a few years ago, I'm now in the market for the new one. I'll be taking advantage of my the RidetoWork scheme, which for me is linked to Evans, so I should have a reasonable variety to look at. This will be in January. It will be a road bike (I've got a vey heavy MTB which I've used about 10 times and just don't like) and my budget should be in the region of £650.

To be honest, my interest has been sparked by reading alot about cycling and also watching a lot more on the telly (ITV4 has been great this year). Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself.....

Top Bottom