Yet another reason I’m glad I’ve got a decent camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Oh good, another non-event.

30 pages of non event coming up :whistle:

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
In this case I think this was an unacceptably close pass.
There was no reason the van couldn't have moved fully across into the other carriageway and given the OP some decent room.
That’s exactly it. I get close passes ( within 3 feet ) all the time. I don’t really give a monkey’s about most of them, indeed a lot of them are just because of an error in timing, from the motorists. The ones that bother me, are ones like this one. I clearly pointed out I was moving out to avoid the pot hole(s), and despite that, and there having been nothing in the other carriageway to prevent the driver giving me enough room, they still squeezed me. That really annoys me.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
What's the point of a shoulder check if you don't act on the information it gives you?
The shoulder check was to try and see what the driver was going to do, given that I was clearly signalling my intention to avoid the pot holes, nice and early. The driver didn’t do what anybody in their right mind would have expected them to do ( wait a second, or at least give me the room I was obviously going to need ). In fact they did quite the opposite of what I’d expected them to do. Hence my annoyance.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
But he has right of way
Quite right. I was signalling a move, and I was in front, and this was at normal road riding speed, I had to make a decision based on what I’d have expected a competent driver to do, and I had to do it before the potholes.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What use is the camera if the number plate cannot be made out? I really can't see that this film is of any use because it appears that you have left lube or vaseline on the lens and the number plate cannot be made out. So we're looking for a blue van :dry:

Drago

Legendary Member
Left hand curve - move further out, allows you an earlier view of what's ahead and makes you more visible from the roadside clutter. It also discourages close passing at an inappropriate spot.

That said, it doesn't justify the bidder driving like that.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What use is the camera if the number plate cannot be made out? I really can't see that this film is of any use because it appears that you have left lube or vaseline on the lens and the number plate cannot be made out. So we're looking for a blue van :dry:
I managed to find the exact spot where the number plate just about becomes visible. But i have to be honest, ive seen far better quality from an action camera...

Still, it serves no purpose posting it here... Better to post it here perhaps? https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

Let the relevant authorities decide...

winjim

Smash the cistern
The shoulder check was to try and see what the driver was going to do, given that I was clearly signalling my intention to avoid the pot holes, nice and early. The driver didn’t do what anybody in their right mind would have expected them to do ( wait a second, or at least give me the room I was obviously going to need ). In fact they did quite the opposite of what I’d expected them to do. Hence my annoyance.
Well. I have no evidence that you were signalling. I have no evidence that you were trying to avoid a pothole, indeed the combination of your camera and my phone screen doesn't provide high enough resolution for me to properly make out any imperfections in the road surface. I need to take that on faith.

What I do see is you shoulder checking as you drift off your line and closer towards the path of the van, pretty much as it passes. So what was the shoulder check for? You say you get close passes 'all the time' and then you say that the van driver did the opposite of what you'd expect them to do. So which is it and why did you not, as you saw the van approaching, hold your line until it had passed?

I know what I think happened.

Edit: I don't think I do see a shoulder check. That's a handlebar mounted camera isn't it? All I see is the bars/bike move.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The fundamental issue to my mind is in this clip you're riding so far to the left it invites a close pass. The wobbly shoulder check doesn't help.

On the basis of this clip I would ride one metre from the verge on this road. This forces drivers to overtake on at least the crown of the road. Good road positioning prevents a lot of problems. If things go wrong you have a metre to dive in to. You've only got the verge as an escape route.

The other clip shows you too close to the verge as well.

Personally I can't see why people use cameras. It simply spoils the ride. I prefer to shout you w***** and carry on enjoying myself. A guy who rides with us has his bike cluttered with front and rear cameras, batteries, chargers and God knows what else. He never seems to be happy.

I do like the little camera that senses a vehicle approaching from behind. That does seem very useful, though I wouldn't buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom