Yet another reason I’m glad I’ve got a decent camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

If this is the shoulder check how much can you actually see BEHIND you, that is the purpose of a shoulder check, this just appears to be a cursory glance to your side.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If this is the shoulder check how much can you actually see BEHIND you, that is the purpose of a shoulder check, this just appears to be a cursory glance to your side.

View attachment 526832
My interpretation is that that may be the bars (and therefore the bike) moving off line as he shoulder checks. Either that, or the shoulder check came beforehand and involved the bike making no deviation from its line whatsoever.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The chap enjoys drama, He looks for it, he creates it, he uses it for fuel to create more drama... The more we entertain it, the more he'll get off it...
It always pays to provide clarification on certain issues for the less experienced cyclists on the forum and those looking to improve their roadcraft. I comment on peoples videos as a way of learning from them in order to improve my own cycling.

Plus some things are downright dangerous and need correcting lest others take bad advice and come a cropper.

what you need now is a broom handle taped to your handlebars with the camera mounted on the end...oh and get yourself a foldable wooden ruler to check vehicle distance from you, and get some red and yellow cards.....3/10 for effort though.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It always pays to provide clarification on certain issues for the less experienced cyclists on the forum and those looking to improve their roadcraft. I comment on peoples videos as a way of learning from them in order to improve my own cycling.

Plus some things are downright dangerous and need correcting lest others take bad advice and come a cropper.
No I understand. It is admirable to do so. But this guy knows. After his last forum video upload effort, he'll not listen, claim everyone is wrong and bow down to his superior self. It's a waste of time. Spare your efforts and time for those willing to learn/ take advice.

winjim

Smash the cistern
No I understand. It is admirable to do so. But this guy knows. After his last forum video upload effort, he'll not listen, claim everyone is wrong and bow down to his superior self. It's a waste of time. Spare your efforts and time for those willing to learn/ take advice.
Oh yes, I know that he won't admit his mistakes or learn from them, that's been apparent for a long time, years in fact. But in the past couple of weeks he's posted wrong and potentially dangerous advice on at least two occasions, one mechanical and one relating to roadcraft. These were things that absolutely needed correcting in case anybody hurt themselves.

I agree we shouldn't be trying to convince the OP, that's futile. We should be trying to teach the less experienced, the novices, potentially lurkers who may be reading the forum. Some of them will be those you mention who are willing to learn.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Upload it to your local police close pass web page if you think it warrants it. See what they say.

snorri

Legendary Member
You appear to cycle very close to the verge, I know the camera can mislead, how far are your wheels from the verge?

Edit...... I see others have questioned your road positioning but you haven't commented.

Last edited:
Oh! Come on! I think some of your negative comments are really unkind - the OPs last post got to sixteen pages, that’s got to be a good effort, based on nothing😂 I’m waiting to see how far this runs, even more of a non story, so I’ll put a fiver on it making six pages🙈🙈

boydj

Legendary Member
I have to agree that your default road position is too close to the edge of the carriageway. This just invites close passes. Further out and drivers have to make a positive move over to the other lane to overtake properly.

The other point I'd make is that the close passing vehicle is driving too close to the vehicle in front and his/her vision is therefore limited somewhat and probably saw the cyclist too late. I find this kind of close pass happens fairly frequently and there's not a lot the cyclist can do about it, but a stronger road position would at least leave a bit more room to move away from the close pass.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The other point I'd make is that the close passing vehicle is driving too close to the vehicle in front and his/her vision is therefore limited somewhat and probably saw the cyclist too late.

Which video were you watching?
There's 2 vehicles in this video. One in the opposite oncoming lane and the van doing the pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom