yet further drool..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

I find that very sad, yet strangely understandable...

Oh Lordy. I remember seeing an example for the first time in it's box in the window of a bike shop in Soho around 1985 and I've wanted one ever since. I couldn't not use it if I owned it though, even if only rarely, bike parts are meant to be on a bike not secreted away in a cupboard.

I actually know in my mind the exact frame I would build for that group-set and have a mental list of all the other parts. I'm that sad.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
The word SAD springs to mind, however it did remind me of the story told to me a few years ago about a train driver who drove over night freight trains, late one night he came to a red light and so had to stop, he found he was stopped in a station, and having the call of nature, stepped down from the cab only to find a train spotter on the platform drooling over his .. erm ... engine, they exchanged a few words, like nice train, eh yes, would you like to have a look while I go to the toilet, ..... eh sure thanks.
Driver returns from the toilet only to find the guy in front of the cab giving himself a hand shandy over his train!:ohmy:

Abitrary

They are things of rare beauty and I am very jealous.

And more jealous of how some people can have such a limited horizon and still feel even vaguely content.

mondobongo

Über Member
To me its wrong. It should be on a bike a very special build probably but neverless built up and being used its what it was made for. Keeping it in a box in a cupboard is wrong it should be free to roam the roads uphill and very fast downhill.

gratts

Driver returns from the toilet only to find the guy in front of the cab giving himself a hand shandy over his train!

Immature giggles.
:ohmy:

Mr Pig

mondobongo said:
To me its wrong. It should be on a bike.

If that is true then all sets ever made should be on bikes, being worn out. The eventual result would be that none would survive in new condition to show future generations how well crafted these products were. And that's what it's about, preserving beauty.

This is my all time favourite product. A product so clever and perfect in its execution that it was a revolution, it still is. The Rega RB300 tonearm.

rega_rb300_l.jpg

Art and literature are not even the best forms of human expression. Without the filter of practical application removing the dross, these subjective forms of expression constantly sustain truly poor exponents. Engineering, on the other hand, doesn't suffer fools lightly. Try throwing together a heap of meaningless crap and babbling rubbish about it in engineering and you won't be around for long.

Great engineering is just as much a message about the mind and heart is its creator as any oil painting. As such, I believe that great engineering deserves to be preserved. It is this innate understanding that compels those of us who recognise mechanical genius not to pull the sticky tape off boxes of bike parts!

Mr Pig

Landslide said:
Regardless of how beautifully engineered it is, without its purpose it is neutered, much as the above tonearm would be without music.

Sure. But there are thousands of examples of these products in the world. There is no need to wear out every one.

I agree, it is the purpose that makes these objects works of art. They are not flights of fancy, babblings of some dreamer who has no grasp on the real world. They are the work of individuals who would rather apply their brilliant minds within the constraints of a practical application, a far harder discipline.

A painter can do whatever he likes, it may not even turn out the way he intended, but who can say his work is right or wrong? It's totally subjective. In engineering your solutions have to be right or it's very obvious. Sure, there is always a degree of subjectivity in how a practical design is assessed by the user but it still has cold, real world, parameters to satisfy. In my opinion it is far harder to produce works of true genius within these constraints. It's true art. Most of the people who call themselves artists are just masturbating!

Top Bottom