Yet more helmet BS; by Grant Shapps, Transport Secretary.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
In the interest of science I have conducted a few experiments over the last couple of years and have compiled the results .

Experiment number 1 riding a Longstaff trike conversion down hill and being ejected from the saddle and in to a lamp post at 20mph. Result multiple fractures of the shoulder blade and the top of the socket broken away requiring pinning, head injury's zero.

Experiment number 2 riding a bicycle at 25 mph and hitting subsidence whilst looking over your shoulder then being ejected over the bars. Result four broken ribs, a punctured lung, a fractured hip socket and spinal damage resulting in delayed onset Lhermitte's syndrome , head injury's small laceration to back of head .

Experiment number 3 riding a bicycle at approximately 12mph and being hit from behind by a car traveling at 30+ mph and being propelled 12-15 feet in to the air. Result laceration to back of head and laceration to elbow, head injury Subarachnoid haemorrhage (bleed on the brain).

Experiment number 4 riding a bicycle down hill at 33mph and losing traction on both wheels whilst cornering. Result a broken shoulder blade, 7 broken ribs 5 of them broken in two places resulting in a flail chest and a punctured lung with a bleed , head injury's small laceration to top of head .
Conclusion, no helmet was worn in any of these experiments and apart from number 3 no serious head injury occurred but I would argue that the forces involved in experiment number 3 would have far exceed the design parameters of a standard cycling helmet. To my mind body armour of some sort would have done more to mitigate serious injury in the majority of these experiments rather than a helmet which at best would have saved me a few stitches.
Fark me you're lucky to still be alive! You should try being a tad more careful:laugh: Admittedly no3 sound like the driver was completely at fault and bad luck on your behalf to be in the way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
In the interest of science I have conducted a few experiments over the last couple of years and have compiled the results .

Experiment number 1 riding a Longstaff trike conversion down hill and being ejected from the saddle and in to a lamp post at 20mph. Result multiple fractures of the shoulder blade and the top of the socket broken away requiring pinning, head injury's zero.

Experiment number 2 riding a bicycle at 25 mph and hitting subsidence whilst looking over your shoulder then being ejected over the bars. Result four broken ribs, a punctured lung, a fractured hip socket and spinal damage resulting in delayed onset Lhermitte's syndrome , head injury's small laceration to back of head .

Experiment number 3 riding a bicycle at approximately 12mph and being hit from behind by a car traveling at 30+ mph and being propelled 12-15 feet in to the air. Result laceration to back of head and laceration to elbow, head injury Subarachnoid haemorrhage (bleed on the brain).

Experiment number 4 riding a bicycle down hill at 33mph and losing traction on both wheels whilst cornering. Result a broken shoulder blade, 7 broken ribs 5 of them broken in two places resulting in a flail chest and a punctured lung with a bleed , head injury's small laceration to top of head .
Conclusion, no helmet was worn in any of these experiments and apart from number 3 no serious head injury occurred but I would argue that the forces involved in experiment number 3 would have far exceed the design parameters of a standard cycling helmet. To my mind body armour of some sort would have done more to mitigate serious injury in the majority of these experiments rather than a helmet which at best would have saved me a few stitches.

It's just yer head didn't hit anything. I can count 3 of 4 incidents where a helmet has stopped a scuffed head, and in one case concussion. The other was a broken spine and 4 ribs and my head went nowhere near anything.

Hit from side, OTB, head first into road, helmet damaged, slightly fuzzy head, broken ribs. OTB on MTB, helmet damaged and gouged on rocks, smashed up shoulder. Car hit from side, another OTB (bonnet this time) head slid down road but shoulder took impact.

A cut lip and thank goodness for a helmet is a bit silly.

At least when I broke my spine, I was most insistent I'd not hit my head and it was my lower back that was broken, as I lay motionless in the road - they listened once I showed them my lid, without a mark. :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There are some incidents where a helmet will mitigate or reduce injury
There are some incidents where it could potentially make your injury worse
There are some incidents where it makes fark all difference

We have insufficient information to work out which one Mr Shapps' spill falls into.

icowden

Veteran
The gentleman appears to have hit his face. How would not wearing a helmet have led to a more serious injury to his face?

OK - your face is located on the front of your head. It is perfectly possible to injure your face and damage your helmet due to the close proximity of the side of your head with the top of your head.

Your argument is fallacious. No-one has suggested this.

This is what he said:-

Big thanks to brilliant NHS staff @enherts QE2 & Lister Hospitals who patched me up yesterday, followed by a minor op on my lip today. Thank goodness for bike helmet, without which it could have been worse!”

You have not seen or understood the nature of his injury or had any details of the accident. You have not assessed the forces involved, how he fell, and what other injuries he may or may not have sustained. In his opinion if he had not worn a helmet he could have had worse injuries. This suggests to me that his helmet also sustained an impact.

Alex321

Veteran
In that case, perhaps you could come to Mr Shapps' aid with this one.

The gentleman appears to have hit his face. How would not wearing a helmet have led to a more serious injury to his face?

Who has suggested it might?

We know he had a small injury to his face. We have no idea what further impacts he may have sustained. You can't assume that because he has a cut lip, that was the only part of his head which impacted anything.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member

I'll happily wear a helmet and save those stiches.......

PS Note to self: Never cycle with unlucky PMarkey and his "science" based approach.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom