Yet, yet another gem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
yep, having spoken to Rapha about the glaring gap in their range, they'll now be producing the Rapha corset:biggrin: Made from the finest whalebone and covered in sealskin, they actually let you choose, and club, your own seal

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

rich p said:
You can be very patronising,as I've mentioned before, which I find a bit of a turn-off TBH.

A string of 'z's can be very sarcastic.

It appears there are people here who want to know about the dreaded wind.

I've also got some data from Jaguar's vehicle test dept concerning tyre widths, road surface texture and tyre inflation pressures.
I don't think I ought to publish it as it would come across patronising to RandoChap.
The argument will be whether it applies to bicycles or just Sports cars.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Panter said:
Depends how fast you're going surely?

Now there's logical thinking.

It applies to the speed most CTC and Audax UK members ride.

To be honest, 3 mph is a rounded up figure for quick mental arithmetic. 2.8 to 2.9 in reality.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
So, an average of around 15mph maybe? with a loss of just under 20%. I imagine that as headwind speed increases, that reduction wouldn't be linear, or would it?

I would imagine a 5mph headwind wouldn't slow me quite that much but then I'm no waif of a rider :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
I'd guess that the statement will need an awful lot of qualifiers to be of any use?

5mph isn't much of a wind is it, granted I've never really ever tried to measure winds

I like jimbos body of work in case he needs reassurance

tyred

Legendary Member
Surely there are many things which would alter it such as tight or baggy clothing, race bike or a sit up and beg with wide handlebars, what gears you have available to you....

Bigtwin

Tynan said:
I'd guess that the statement will need an awful lot of qualifiers to be of any use?

5mph isn't much of a wind is it, granted I've never really ever tried to measure winds

It certainly does. Depends on how big you are and how fast you are going, for a start, and what you are wearing, given the squares rule and all that.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Tynan said:
Which is exactly what it has in common with every other jimboalee pronouncement. Usually by four pages later he's "clarified" what he meant to say and it turns out to be something completely different.

I mean, yes, call it a "gem" if you like, but so is mollusc mucus

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Wind.jpg

It was ( for a fair few years before I became a cyclist ) accepted that a 5 mph headwind slowed them down by around 3 mph.

Bigtwin

jimboalee said:
It was ( for a fair few years before I became a cyclist ) accepted that a 5 mph headwind slowed them down by around 3 mph.

As was the efficacy of witch-dunking, predicting the future via the burying toads, and assuring one's self that the planets orbited the earth.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Jimbo, I personally love the fact that you have taken the trouble to load all this up for us, but your initial statement may only be true for Audax riders. What about a broad shouldered fat bloke wearing baggy clothes on a XC bike? It may be a fashion show to some, but to be honest I ride for serious fun, if such a statement can be made. Therefore, if it's windy I know I'll be knackered.

Keep it up though, seriously, because whether they like it or not, even a commuter/leisure cyclist should understand how much more effort they'll have to put in to get to the office/pub in a force 8. Without figures and tables, knowledge is nothing.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
:biggrin:eh cubist, that's me. don't forget the co-efficient centripetal forces as I go around corners on my deep mud tyres with big knobbles. How can any of this be a general figure? There seems to be far far too many variables. Wind most of the time isn't constant anyway, it varies in strength and direction. surely even the incline / decline of the surface being cycled on would effect this. what about road material and smoothness. what about camber? surely even the barometric pressure would effect this as well? tyre pressures? but if there is general calculation for a fat bloke with no hair on xc lightweight bike who had a shoot before set off then let me have it, because when i cycle into a headwind it feels a bloody lot slower than 3 mph:blush::biggrin::blush:

Top Bottom