Yikes!! Giant rat at work today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiger10

Über Member
.25 requires an FAC though, if they're going to have enough power to be hunting effectively. Otherwise they're not much use for anything more than plinking at short range.

Nah 12 ft/lb is perfect for rats, FAC gets a bit too destructive.???...???¥

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Rats & mice outside, live and let live. Rats in the house - the cat will deal pretty smartish. That said we only had a mouse problem in the house after the cat occasionally brought in half-stunned mice which recovered.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Hi.
Today at work I had the shock of my life after coming across this humongous rat. No word of a lie this thing must of been around 2ft long from nose to tail. I was walking through our warehouse checking some stock and " as bold as brass " this monster of a rat came out and ran straight past me. It was also very unusual in colouring. It was like a smokey grey/ blue colour and looked quite striking. I must of looked a right wally as my 6"2 frame was seen by my workmates running out of the door screaming like a big Jessie. Later on ,the pest control man was on site and showed me all his expertise on how to take this rat down. It didn't take him long to see where it was residing in the building. Foot prints( which where massive incidentally) in the dusty corners led him to where it was nesting and low and behold there was a load of fibre glass insulation that it was using for a bed.. He,s set a good amount of traps to catch the fearsome beast .
Living in a rural area I,ve seen my fair share of rats on farm yards etc but nothing as big as this,
Even my cat would of thought twice of tackling this one :=0
Otter, deffo - bet it was dragging a salmon along too.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
On the rat theme the cat was busy a couple of days back. One dead rat brought upstairs. A dead mouse by the back door and a live mouse played with then released in one of the bedrooms. That wasn't the only night spent hunting this week, nor does it take account of any eaten ones.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Bloody cat has brought another live rat itno the house. Not content with a significantly larger rat than normal she's brought it (live) upstairs from the basement and i her wisdom,intead of dealing with it has let it loose in the kitchen. Mrs PP reliably informa me the rat is now under the cooker. Bloody cat better focus o the job in hand and deal with it, that's what I say

Bloody cat has brought another live rat itno the house. Not content with a significantly larger rat than normal she's brought it (live) upstairs from the basement and i her wisdom,intead of dealing with it has let it loose in the kitchen. Mrs PP reliably informa me the rat is now under the cooker. Bloody cat better focus o the job in hand and deal with it, that's what I say

I know it's bad, but I'm sitting here laughing... :blush:

Never had it with rats, but have had rabbits let loose in the house. :whistle: That invariably gets... interesting.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I know it's bad, but I'm sitting here laughing... :blush:

Never had it with rats, but have had rabbits let loose in the house. :whistle: That invariably gets... interesting.

My cousin is a bit of a mad catwomen and has four burmese and talks about regulalry finding "rabbit trousers", so you can seem my disapointment with the carrying in of live rats.

My cousin is a bit of a mad catwomen and has four burmese and talks about regulalry finding "rabbit trousers", so you can seem my disapointment with the carrying in of live rats.

*FOUR* Burmese... Oh dear... :crazy: :surrender: Bet you she's kept on her toes... :whistle:

I've had live pigeons let loose in the house (messy) and one grass snake as well. :blush:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have no strong view on cats either way, but the widely held notion they are responsible for declining bird populations is inaccurate - according to the RSPB.

Cats kill birds, but as the RSPB points out that isn't quite the same thing.

They did a survey a few years ago which found there was just as much bird activity in an area with lots of cats as there was in a similar area with very few cats.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...-garden-birds/are-cats-causing-bird-declines/

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
When we lived in Bulawayo, my friend's cat was adept at bring in the local wildlife. We spent many a happy hour attempting to catch large bats in the bedroom and extracting lizards from the laundry basket.
Also, the distinction between rat and mouse is somewhat different. If it is outside, it's a mouse but if it's in your house, it's a rat.

Top Bottom