Yikes x3!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This all happened within the space of around 10minutes!

Car overtakes a bus coming the other way, which was moving at the speed limit, but obviously the cager is more important. I swerved to the left, right in at the curb as the cager went screaming past. It was ok though because he was on his horn the whole time :ohmy::ohmy:!:tongue: The bus driver had obviously clocked me and jammed his brakes on, presumably to try to get the cager to pull in before he splattered me. He shouted a "Are you ok mate? Bloody idiot!" I just nodded and kind of waved a *thank you* and he shouted "Ok, take care of yourself, there's a hell of a lot of pr*cks out tonight" before driving on.

He wasn't wrong.

The next encounter was an impatient driver coming up alongside me in a LHT lane, then accelerating hard and untertaking me to go straight ahead.

The final one isn't car related, other than a nice old lady stopped to let me cross the road onto the cycle path that takes me to my house. Some poor cyclist went down the slope of the shared path quite fast, you can really open it up down this stretch because there is a clear sightline to spot any peds, but it twists a bit to make it exciting at speed.

I remember thinking *sucks teeth* thats a bit fast for these conditions. The path is narrow, and the tarmac is lumpy, and is often damp / slimy, tonight it also had some leaves on it. She made the first two bends and had a bit of a moment on the final bend, but stayed on. There was a group of three peds at the junction of the path, and she slowed and moved to the left, but they didn't move at all. Bloody blokes cockwaving :ohmy::ohmy:! Her tyres slipped off the edge of the path and she went down.

The idiots just roared with laughter and carried on going. They moved for me. Yeah, such big men to push a girl off the path, but politely move out of the way for a bloke in a hoodie. W@nkers.

The poor girl was pretty upset, she was covered in mud and leaves and a little banged up but ok.

The girl wasn't going at excessive speed by any means, faster than I would take the descent, but she was on an mtb not a roadbike, and she slowed down in plenty of time for the peds.

Grr, hope everyone else has a better trip than me tonight!

PrettyboyTim

Jacomus, I think you need to get a bike camera!

Tynan

Veteran
you can argue that if she wiped out then she was going too fast

slippery leaves are bastards, did for me once on a sweeping bend once

Nasty. :tongue: There is very little respect out there.

I must admit I probably would have got mouthy with the idiots laughing at the girl on the bike. It would probably be the wrong thing to do but I don't know if I could help myself.

As the others have said a camera would have caught these b'stards on video and I would have taken it to the police. I bet they are already known.

Tynan

Veteran
reading it again, what crime have they committed exactly?

sounds like they on a shared use path and so presumably have priority and didn't get out of the way, had they seen her?

domtyler

Über Member
I'm with Tynan, I'm struggling to understand what it is they did wrong. Unless you are being serious when you said that they literally pushed her off the path, which is not the impression I got from your first account. If you went to the police what exactly would you say?

bonj2

domtyler said:
I'm with Tynan, I'm struggling to understand what it is they did wrong.

What they did wrong is, they just weren't very nice. They didn't do anything illegal, but that doesn't mean they didn't do anything wrong, does it.

Tynan

Veteran
did they see her coming? it sounds like they might not have

'wrong' is almost meaningless as used

bonj2

Tynan said:
did they see her coming? it sounds like they might not have

'wrong' is almost meaningless as used

the way the OP's worded it sounds like they did... why else would it be 'bloody blokes cockwaving'

'wrong', i was differentiating between legally wrong and morally wrong. i.e. just the fact that it's not legally wrong doesn't imply it's not wrong at all.

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

They saw her coming, she was lit, and when she braked down to sensible passing speed I heard her brakes squeal against the wind rushing past me as I came down the slope.

They did push her off the path by not moving out of the way at all, and butting her with a shoulder - just like the twunts do on the pavement, try to steam through you braced to hit you. To proove what a big man they are.

Tynan, you seem to have a bit of a speed fixation at the moment. She was probably doing 5mph or so. Her tyres slipping off the edge of the path did the same thing as if you were to slip your tyres off a curb at a very shallow angle. The bike toppled out from under her, and she fell over.

What was even more wrong is that whilst they were perfectly happy to be all aggressive when they thought the victim wouldn't strike back, but when I appeared in a hoodie, hood up, despite the 3 vs. 1 odds they politely moved out of the way. Very tough. Very tough indeed.

Bonj - The vids I have made are only my digital camera attached to the bars with judicious amount of electrical tape. I'm getting an ATC2000 for xmas

Tynan said:
reading it again, what crime have they committed exactly?

sounds like they on a shared use path and so presumably have priority and didn't get out of the way, had they seen her?

:tongue: They laughed and did nothing when someone had an accident! That is more than enough crime for me to think they are low lifes. Would you laugh at someone who did this near you. I reckon you wouldn't and you would help.

Tynan

Veteran
first mention of her final speed, fine, as for fixation, it's the main cause of accidents isn't it, for all vehicles

you said she took it too fast, nearly lost it on the bends, and then did lose it, fact remains that she rode straight into a pedestrian, regardless of how arsey they were being, the fact that they actually shoved her over is only in your last post

laughing at someone falling off their bike is not a crime, sorry but it's not

I wouldn't laugh and I'd help, of course I would, so what

yeah they were objectionable idiots but you have to deal with and allow for all hazards, wet leaves included

I never trust dedicated cycle lanes, let alone shared use ones, strictly road me, granted my route allows it

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

Tynan said:
first mention of her final speed, fine, as for fixation, it's the main cause of accidents isn't it, for all vehicles

you said she took it too fast, nearly lost it on the bends, and then did lose it, fact remains that she rode straight into a pedestrian, regardless of how arsey they were being, the fact that they actually shoved her over is only in your last post

laughing at someone falling off their bike is not a crime, sorry but it's not

I wouldn't laugh and I'd help, of course I would, so what

yeah they were objectionable idiots but you have to deal with and allow for all hazards, wet leaves included

I never trust dedicated cycle lanes, let alone shared use ones, strictly road me, granted my route allows it

They didn't actively shove her off the path, but braced and walked into her on purpose.

These guys were prime tossers of the highest magnitude. The girl did nothing worng. End of story.

I prefer to use roads not cyclepaths too, but this shared path is too good not to use, certainly for inexperienced cyclists as the other option involves a very long ride along a road covered in speedbumpss, with cars parked on both sides, through the middle of a council estate, followed by a large RAB, a dragstrip and another large RAB.

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I remember thinking *sucks teeth* thats a bit fast for these conditions. The path is narrow, and the tarmac is lumpy, and is often damp / slimy, tonight it also had some leaves on it. She made the first two bends and had a bit of a moment on the final bend, but stayed on. There was a group of three peds at the junction of the path, and she slowed and moved to the left, but they didn't move at all. Bloody blokes cockwaving :tongue::angry:! Her tyres slipped off the edge of the path and she went down.

The idiots just roared with laughter and carried on going. They moved for me. Yeah, such big men to push a girl off the path, but politely move out of the way for a bloke in a hoodie. W@nkers.

The poor girl was pretty upset, she was covered in mud and leaves and a little banged up but ok.

The girl wasn't going at excessive speed by any means, faster than I would take the descent, but she was on an mtb not a roadbike, and she slowed down in plenty of time for the peds.

Grr, hope everyone else has a better trip than me tonight!

Top Bottom