Y'know corn beef tins....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
colly said:
More puzzling is why 'they' persist with that health and safety nightmare of the key opening whatsit.
Can openers have been around for what 100 years ???
Early can openers, and most current ones, took the middle of the can end out leaving a rim that stopped the meat coming out. The key solved that problem. Modern tin openers that take the whole can end off would also work.

Also can openers haven't been around anywhere near as long as the tin can has.

Mr Pig

Night Train said:

Which is quite interesting if you think about it...

Night Train

Maker of Things
Mr Pig said:
Which is quite interesting if you think about it...
The very early tins were for feedign the military and soldiers could open them with a stab of a bayonet. The first tin openers were made with a long spike and a pivot point to mimic the effect of the soldiers bayonet.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Last week I had a meal in which tins conspired against me. I was trying to make my budget bolognaise, using corned beef instead of mince. first I was trying to open the tin of tomatoes, and my useless tin opened kept slipping and wouldn't grip the tin to turn it, and then the key derailled on the corned beef tin, and I had to unroll it, and re-roll it to get it open. I managed both in the end, but it was one of my more frustrating cooking experiences...

They just sit in my junk mail box until I click Delete:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Could it be anything to do with the tins stacking nicely? I know these days more and more tins are designed to stack well, but the old style round ones that are the same at both ends don't stack so well.

Doesn't explain why corned beef and not spam, I admit. Maybe it was just a corned beef canner who thought of it, and the spam people didn't care.

What about the old pear shaped tins of ham, can you still get them? We used to sell them at Iceland, and they were a right pain to stack, you couldn't put more than one layer on a shelf...

colly

Re member eR
Night Train said:
Early can openers, and most current ones, took the middle of the can end out leaving a rim that stopped the meat coming out. The key solved that problem. Modern tin openers that take the whole can end off would also work.

It's true that cans were produced and introduced before can openers and that might explain it but even before the advent of 'modern' can openers it has always been possible to take the whole lid off the can simply by using the opener so that the cutter acts on the side of the can rather than the lid.

Of course corned beef is obviously enhanced with a little bit of human blood to spice it up.

That's the real reason

I think they make it them all out of funny shaped tins so you think about why the tin is a funny shape and dont think about what bits of the cow are in the tin.

Most of this processed "meat" comes from Argentina. Do you really trust an Argentinian to put some nice meat in a tin for a Brit?

I am amazed that so many of you still buy the stuff. Thought it all stopped in 1970.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Corned beef tins!!! I took a piece of my thumb off many years ago whilst opening one of those beasties amd trying to get the "beef" to come out. I am sure there has been more blood spilt with these tins than any other foodstuff tins.:biggrin:

Top Bottom