Y'know corn beef tins....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arch said:
How else would we make corned beef hash?
Agree with you there Arch:smile:.

colly

Re member eR
Was it Fray Bentos that had a load of well dodgy corned beef back in to 70's ? 60's??
So dodgy in fact I think it had something to do with typhoid.

mmm yummy.

Arch

Married to Night Train
colly said:
Was it Fray Bentos that had a load of well dodgy corned beef back in to 70's ? 60's??

mmm yummy.

Isn't it normally botulism in dodgy tinned stuff? I think typhoid is air and water borne, rather than food....

Not that it makes much difference, I guess, if you've got either...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
colly said:

mmm yummy.
Interesting fact of the day... "Fray" (Spanish) means "brother" as in monk. So Fray Bentos = brother bentos.

oh yeah, and "Fray" is pronounced like the English "fry"

Dave5N

Über Member
Fnaar said:
Interesting fact of the day... "Fray" (Spanish) means "brother" as in monk. So Fray Bentos = brother bentos.

???

'interesting'??

Jesus man, you need to get away from that sociology department a bit more

rikki

Legendary Member
Over The Hill said:
Do you really trust an Argentinian to put some nice meat in a tin for a Brit?

A Bulgarian lady who worked for me told a wonderful story about working in a canning plant while a university student in Bulgaria, and the extra special attention they gave the cans designated for "export" to mother Russia.

Also heard a story about Tibetan rice harvesters collecting very small stones [about the size of a rice grain ;)] to include in the rice being sent to the Han Chinese, and feeling self-satisfied at the thought of a broken tooth.

I'm sure that the Argentinians think that the meat going in the cans is cr&p anyway [given the availability to them of real cuts of real meat] and consider the product punishment in itself.

Always looking for a bargain my dad bought a case of cheap corned-beef from a stall in the Suk in Bahrain. The first tin we opened had shards of bone, lumps of gristle and a patch of cow hide in it. I dread to think how they made it, it really looked like they had put a cow in a blender. Bleh.

Renard

Arch said:
Isn't it normally botulism in dodgy tinned stuff? I think typhoid is air and water borne, rather than food....

Not that it makes much difference, I guess, if you've got either...

...except that botulism is invariably fatal.

Maz

Guru
Fnaar said:

Interesante. No lo sabía.
I'd heard of hermano for brother, but I guess fray is used in the religious sense.

Fnaar said:

= Friar Bentos perhaps!

Corned Beef in spanish =
Beef is the well knows slang for the English (Germans call us roastbeefs) and corned means to trick or as we use the word conned.

So they take all the bits that the rest of the world does not want - bones brain eyelids bumhole etc and cut it up to a point where it becomes unrecognisable and shove it in a funy shaped tin. As the tins come out the factroy some are given a Corned Beef Label and sent to the UK while the remainder are given a Cat Food label and sent to the rest of Europe.

redjedi

Über Member
Over The Hill said:
= Friar Bentos perhaps!

Corned Beef in spanish =
Beef is the well knows slang for the English (Germans call us roastbeefs) and corned means to trick or as we use the word conned.

So they take all the bits that the rest of the world does not want - bones brain eyelids bumhole etc and cut it up to a point where it becomes unrecognisable and shove it in a funy shaped tin. As the tins come out the factroy some are given a Corned Beef Label and sent to the UK while the remainder are given a Cat Food label and sent to the rest of Europe.

Stop it!!!

You're making me hungry B)

Top Bottom