Yoga will improve your riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
@Heltor Chasca sounds like me been searching for a slow hobby for years. :wacko: You're so right about groups being mostly female. I use to go to Pilates class at the gym but it felt all wrong so no longer go. Someone set up an all male Pilates group near me as a safe place for men to talk about mens health and wellbeing. I'd go but he's priced out most inc me it's a shame as it's only accessible for ones who can afford high fees.

I'd love to try Yoga but not many classes round me guess it's youtube for me just need the time :smile:

@AlexS once you're ready and you really want to learn how to teach with community and social focus. It's not too many miles away from you Northern collage is the place to go it's teacher training like no other. They do basic though to PGCE. I did my PGCE at Northern I loved every minute such a magical place.

The only problem with learning this stuff from u tube is that you are not observed.

We often have structural imbalances in our bodies. Eg one shoulder stiffer than other, one leg extends more than the other, often an acquired habit.

Without someone to observe that this is happening, these problems stay the same, or are possibly worsened.

It 'feels' like you are stretching same amount each side, but visual evidence supplied to teacher shows otherwise

Hands in adjustment, and repeated 'show and tell' from a knowledgeable teacher is invaluable.

Not to say that utube can't support and encourage practice, but a real life class with a real life teacher is irreplaceable.

Shame your local men's class is so prohibitively expensive.. Otherwise it sounds like a great thing.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
The only problem with learning this stuff from u tube is that you are not observed.

I partly agree with this, I have always maintained that yoga is individual - in that everyone's bodies feel different etc. I have always gone more on how I have felt, rather than the technique. Although form is very important ultimately. I would always say to get a mirror so you can see how you look vs on Youtube.

As you say, most people's bodies are one-side inclined. I would always say if you are new to yoga to just enjoy the time and stretch your body with simple exercises, then target areas. Listen to how everything feels and what feels good.

tom73

Guru

We often have structural imbalances in our bodies. Eg one shoulder stiffer than other, one leg extends more than the other, often an acquired habit.

Without someone to observe that this is happening, these problems stay the same, or are possibly worsened.

It 'feels' like you are stretching same amount each side, but visual evidence supplied to teacher shows otherwise

Hands in adjustment, and repeated 'show and tell' from a knowledgeable teacher is invaluable.

Not to say that utube can't support and encourage practice, but a real life class with a real life teacher is irreplaceable.

Shame your local men's class is so prohibitively expensive.. Otherwise it sounds like a great thing.

Yes I know it's not the best idea nothing can beat a good class and good teacher as with most things. It's a start though have to see how it go's :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I partly agree with this, I have always maintained that yoga is individual - in that everyone's bodies feel different etc. I have always gone more on how I have felt, rather than the technique. Although form is very important ultimately. I would always say to get a mirror so you can see how you look vs on Youtube.

As you say, most people's bodies are one-side inclined. I would always say if you are new to yoga to just enjoy the time and stretch your body with simple exercises, then target areas. Listen to how everything feels and what feels good.

To a certain extent yes..
Listen to your body.
But sometimes we have to go through a certain amount of difficulty or work to achieve a better alignment or good results.

After all sitting on the sofa eating ice cream 'feels' good.. Doesn't do so much in the long run.

Anatomy and physiology are fairly standard.. Two arms two legs trunk spine etc.

Individual bad postural habits, and stiffness, acquired unconsciously take a bit of correction.

If you stay in 'the comfort zone' then these won't change.

You may not be aware of many of the unhelpful things you are doing

I'm almost proprietorial about some of the bodies that have been transformed through good yoga practice, in my classes

Of course it's the owner of said body, that's done the work.

But there's a wealth of knowledge and effective good practice to draw on, in a wel thought through teaching system.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
To a certain extent yes..
Listen to your body.
But sometimes we have to go through a certain amount of difficulty or work to achieve a better alignment or good results.

After all sitting on the sofa eating ice ream 'feels' good.. Doesn't do so much in the long run.

Anatomy and physiology are fairly standard.. Two arms two legs trunk spine etc.

Individual bad postural habits, and stiffness, acquired unconsciously take a bit of correction.

If you stay in 'the comfort zone' then these won't change.

You may not be aware of many of the unhelpful things you are doing

I'm almost proprietorial about some of the bodies that have been transformed through good yoga practice, in my classes

Of course it's the owner of said body, that's done the work.

But there's a wealth of knowledge and effective good practice to draw on, in a wel thought through teaching system.

Again, I agree - there has to be a certain amount of pushing the limits to really feel the stretches. I can definitely tell I'm more flexible and less stiff at the end when I repeat the exercises I did at the beginning, that's when I know it's working! I have definitely become more aware of postural issues since my job is 70/30 sitting to moving around and then I have my training on top of that.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Again, I agree - there has to be a certain amount of pushing the limits to really feel the stretches. I can definitely tell I'm more flexible and less stiff at the end when I repeat the exercises I did at the beginning, that's when I know it's working! I have definitely become more aware of postural issues since my job is 70/30 sitting to moving around and then I have my training on top of that.

Sitting (including driving) is the scourge of the modern day back..

Selfishly it keeps me in work, fixing them.
But our bodies are designed to move, far more than, most of us do.

The yoga also sorts out crooked bits that have come about as a result of too much farm work..

Speaking of which..

Chicken houses to move :angel:

Last edited:

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Some of my cycling friends are quite keen on Yoga.
I searched on some of the yoga forms described in this thread and the closest is an hour away on the bike, however Hatha is available locally. Got to be worth a go.

Absolutely! Just have a go....it really is very versatile and in time, you can explore other forms of yoga and do it at home....I love garden yoga hehe x

Absolutely! Just have a go....it really is very versatile and in time, you can explore other forms of yoga and do it at home....I love garden yoga hehe x
Thanks for the encouragement :-)
The garden yoga I'll be doing this morning is putting in a base for a new shed - lots of space for bicycles ;-)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I used yoga and pilates when recovering from a back operation and still continue with pilates now, both in a class and at home. It amazed me the difference that it made not just to my back, but my whole body and general well being. I dropped the yoga as I just did not get the spiritual side of things and the classes were only on when I was at work.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I used yoga and pilates when recovering from a back operation and still continue with pilates now, both in a class and at home. It amazed me the difference that it made not just to my back, but my whole body and general well being. I dropped the yoga as I just did not get the spiritual side of things and the classes were only on when I was at work.

That's the difference, Pilates was formulated by Josef Pilates to assist injured soldiers with their rehab...it definitely is better for strengthening - that is the most obvious difference between the two disciplines. It's fantastic you are keeping it all going though!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's the difference, Pilates was formulated by Josef Pilates to assist injured soldiers with their rehab...it definitely is better for strengthening - that is the most obvious difference between the two disciplines. It's fantastic you are keeping it all going though!

Depends on what form of yoga.

Pilates is rather core-centric.

Has a rather compartmentalised approach.
Yoga done well gives very strong 'core' but strong and flexible everything else as well.

Mind and body and breath working together

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Simple explanation of what this means please.

Never quite known.

I do remember someone once telling me that they needed to work on their core and my mind wandered in certain directions.

It focuses on strengthening the abdominal, and back muscles..

Yoga works more on the whole body, strength and flexibility balanced, and breathwork, and relaxation techniques too.

That's not to suggest pilates isn't perfectly valid form of bodywork that might suit some people better.

Any of it done properly, has got to be better than nothing.

No need to elaborate on the contents of your mind though .. There might be children reading this..

Top Bottom