York-Humber Bridge, Saturday, 13th July, 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You are right about the climb along the A1077 being a nasty one, but it's an awful lot simpler.

The left turn off the A road is a fun descent, and fairly safe being straight, having good visibility with few junctions/driveways or other hazards.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Agreed, and by that time of the morning there is a bit of fast traffic. I think it'll depend on the weather: if it's been raining the road and hill would be better overall. But a decent bit of dry weather would mean the hundred yards of path would be dry.
I'm still having nightmares from the Bognor ride when we took the usual route across the Gurkha Bridge and all the bikes were caked in mud after heavy rain. But it was safer than that road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just remembered that hill on the A1077 - it was a bit of a pig on singlespeed! IIRC the worst bit of it was a couple of hundred metres at 12%, and there are a couple of other little climbs between Flixborough and South Ferriby. It was definitely harder than the climb that I put in to Swanland last year and the traffic is much heavier.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
All very helpful. If anyone happens to be in the area and could do a short recce that'd be very helpful. On the actual ride I'll take a vote.

I'm hoping to get over that way for a ride on Tuesday (weather permitting) so I'll report back & I'll try to remember to take some photos :okay:

& back on the OT any particular routes you'd like checking for your ride @ColinJ ?:okay:

Venod

Eh up
I have ridden the footpath past South Cliff Farm, its a bit rough and I wouldn't consider it suitable for a group of riders, especially weary ones.

This is my favourite route (red line on map) to and from the bridge south of the river, you can approach it from various routes at the western end, but there is a sharp rise near Horkstow Hall buts its not long, there is a bit of track at the side of the River Axholme leading to Horkstow Suspension Bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horkstow_Bridge

Picture1.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That looks a nicer route, but I have just measured the worst part of Horkstow Hill to be 750 metres at 9.3%!

... & back on the OT any particular routes you'd like checking for your ride @ColinJ ?:okay:
I think we have established that the TPT towards the bridge is a bit rough but ok in the dry, not great in the wet? (You could confirm that if you like.)

I'd also like to know what the cyclepath is like from the bridge over the A63 at Melton, to North Ferriby. I can't see it on Streetview but it is supposed to be there somewhere! We could just stick on the road and go round that double roundabout between Melton and North Ferriby but I'd prefer not to.

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I have ridden the footpath past South Cliff Farm, its a bit rough and I wouldn't consider it suitable for a group of riders, especially weary ones.

OK thanks, getting off for a hundred yards and pushing might be better than slogging up that hill though.
Horkstow Suspension Bridge
Wow that's a real beauty! I had no idea: that's definitely worth making a detour for.
Trouble is: now there's a decision to be made - go over the Special Bridge or do the flat bit with the added attraction of Comedy Off-roading?

Venod

Eh up
I'd also like to know what the cyclepath is like from the bridge over the A63 at Melton

The cyclepath is a good tarmac surface, it passes under the road near the south roundabout, at the Hull end you can ride on the path at the side of the A15 slip road, Motel to Motel then onto the minor (yellow) road at the North end of Humber Country Park.

Picture2.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Nothing to a Tod dweller.
Not easy on my singlespeed bike's 52/19 gear though! :okay:

Wow that's a real beauty! I had no idea: that's definitely worth making a detour for.
Trouble is: now there's a decision to be made - go over the Special Bridge or do the flat bit with the added attraction of Comedy Off-roading?
It looks good doesn't it - see Wikipedia article. I can't believe that someone nearly destroyed it with a 23 ton lorry!

The cyclepath is a good tarmac surface, it passes under the road near the south roundabout, at the Hull end you can ride on the path at the side of the A15 slip road, Motel to Motel then onto the minor (yellow) road at the North end of Humber Country Park.
Thanks - It sounds like that might be a good option for us.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It looks like there is a cycleable ramp on and off the A63 bridge? That would be essential for @Pale Rider because there is no way that he'd want to carry his e-bike up and down steps!

That's true, although I'm confident I can get to the bridge one way or another.

Better to stick together, but I could go solo for a mile or two and rejoin you at the cafe.

Going back to the Friday's ride for a moment, the little suspension bridge is well worth a visit.

I wouldn't have known about it, but in a previous excursion, @EasyPeez led me over it after we'd left @Supersuperleeds.

He was on his way back to Leicester, but the wuss jumped on the train a bit before having only done about 500 miles that weekend.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It looks like there is a cycleable ramp on and off the A63 bridge? That would be essential for @Pale Rider because there is no way that he'd want to carry his e-bike up and down steps!

I have been over the bridge in question & there is a cycleable ramp on either side, can't cycle it too fast though, the turnings as it zig zags up/down are quite tight :okay:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
That's true, although I'm confident I can get to the bridge one way or another.

Better to stick together, but I could go solo for a mile or two and rejoin you at the cafe.

Going back to the Friday's ride for a moment, the little suspension bridge is well worth a visit.

I wouldn't have known about it, but in a previous excursion, @EasyPeez led me over it after we'd left @Supersuperleeds.

He was on his way back to Leicester, but the wuss jumped on the train a bit before having only done about 500 miles that weekend.

I rode all the way back to Leicester after the Spurn Point ride, it was the York-Humber Bridge ride were we got the train, but you can blame @13 rider for that :rolleyes:

Top Bottom