York-Humber Bridge, Saturday, 13th July, 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will run the Humber Bridge ride again this year since I seem to have adopted it and nobody else has volunteered before me... :okay:

For those of you who haven't done it before - it is a very flat 100 mile route from York to the Humber Bridge and back. A cafe stop at the visitor centre on the south side of the bridge and probably another couple of short stops to break up the outward and return legs. Steady, chatty pace.

I was going to suggest 6th July but I discovered that it is the FNRTTC ride from York to Hull on the 5th/6th and it would be odd to run a similar ride just a few hours behind that one. If you like night riding, do the FNRTTC ride. If you prefer a daytime ride, do this one. If you like both types of riding, love the area, and have time on your hands, you could always do both of them! :laugh:

Last year's route change was favourably received apart from the climb to Swanland so we will generally stick to the 2018 route, but we have made changes to avoid the climb. Once again, we will use cyclepaths where possible to get out of York and back in again, and quiet roads for most of the rest of the route.

We will have a brief stop at the co-op in Howden on the way out. You can refuel there if you want to and there are public toilets nearby. NB There was some confusion last year because apparently there are 2 co-ops in Howden! I mean the one in Charles Briggs Avenue.

We will cross a bridge over the A63 and then use a mix of roads and cycle paths to get to North Ferriby. If the weather has been okay leading up to and during the ride then we take to the Trans Pennine Trail for scenic views of the Humber bridge and the river. If the trail looks likely to be in poor condition then we will use an alternative route - Ferriby High Road and some cycle paths. Coming back we will probably take the High Road variation.

We cross the bridge to the Waters' Edge visitor centre cafe at Barton Waterside, then cross back over the bridge for our return leg.

There is very little climbing involved on the way to the bridge, and what there is is easy. On the way back we just nick the fringes of the Yorkshire Wolds between Welton and South Newbald. That is a bit lumpier but I didn't have a problem on singlespeed last year, so you should be okay too. The last 80+ kms (50+ miles) are as flat as you could possibly want!

We can have a brief stop somewhere on the return leg if anybody needs one.

Rough map (out shown in red, back in orange):

york-humber-bridge-route-2019-jpg.jpg

I'd hope to average (say) 18 kmph (11 mph) including stops, which really shouldn't be a problem on such a flat route unless we got a very windy day. It wouldn't matter if we were a little slower, but I do have to catch a couple of trains to get home so I wouldn't be happy with taking 12+ hours for the ride! We will just set a nice steady pace and nobody will be dropped.

The total distance is 164 kms (102 miles). If you have ever comfortably finished a ride of at least 3/4 of that distance then we will get you through this one too!

I have attached separate detailed GPX files for the outward and return legs.

My train should get to York just before 09:00 so let's aim to set off from the front of the railway station at 09:10.

Express interest below...

Attachments

• Humber Bridge to York via Stamford Bridge 2019 no Swanland.gpx
    12.8 KB · Views: 21
  • York to Humber Bridge 2019 - TPT from North Ferriby.gpx
    16.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Slioch

Guru
Bugger. I missed this ride last year for some reason, and I'll miss this one too because I'll be in Amsterdam. Grrr :angry:

There is an alternative "flat" route that avoids Swanland. I don't have time today but I'll post it up in the next couple of days for consideration.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Bugger. I missed this ride last year for some reason, and I'll miss this one too because I'll be in Amsterdam. Grrr :angry:
Sorry... I have given up offering a choice of alternative dates because I only end up having to choose between 2 or 3 equally popular ones and I still end up disappointing people!

There is an alternative "flat" route that avoids Swanland. I don't have time today but I'll post it up in the next couple of days for consideration.
Cheers. I'd also prefer to avoid A-roads and busy roundabouts, where possible!

I know we looked at the TPT between North Ferriby and Hessle but I think it was ruled out because its surface was poor? If we did decide to use it, it would be just in time because I just found a notice on the Sustrans site saying that it will be closed 2 days later for 6-12 months, maybe longer, for safety inspections and remedial work by Network Rail.

The thing that annoyed me about that climb was the fact that I was blowing out of my rear going up it in the smallest gear I had and @ColinJ and @EasyPeez did it on fixed :laugh:
Singlespeed rather than fixed! It would have been easier on fixed because the problem on s/s is forcing the cranks through the dead spot at the top of each pedal stroke at the very low cadence on steep climbs. On fixed, the momentum of the bike would take care of that for you.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider can relax as unfortunately I can't make it this year as I'm on Holiday he wont have to curse me for riding too fast :okay:
Anyone who hasn't done it before it's a great day out

Moi? Get tetchy on a long ride?

Surely not.

Speeding aside, it's one of my favourite rides so I will aim to be there.

I think avoiding the hill is easy enough.

There's a roundabout a couple of miles shy of the bridge at which we took the first exit.

The second or third exit - which might even be signposted Humber Bridge for cyclists - will take us to the bridge.

Hopefully @EasyPeez will turn out - it's his manor so he could take on leading duties if required.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I know we looked at the TPT between North Ferriby and Hessle but I think it was ruled out because its surface was poor? If we did decide to use it, it would be just in time because I just found a notice on the Sustrans site saying that it will be closed 2 days later for 6-12 months, maybe longer, for safety inspections and remedial work by Network Rail.

I was going to warn you that it was closing for a long period, thought it was anytime soon, but luckily it's after this ride. I can ride the path & report back if you like? I'll ride it on 23mm tyres & if it's ok on them everyone should be fine :okay:
Sadly I'm working on late shifts all that weekend, so won't be able to make the start or finish, but will probably meet up mid ride & ride to/over the bridge with you guys then head to work :blush: I'm not too familiar with roads over that side of Hull, but willing to look at any alternatives to the route that you may have in mind :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Wish I could. Unfortunately it is Durham Miners Gala that day.
That's a pity.

Some of us will probably head out your way for another forum ride this summer so we will have to come up with a date when you are free.

That's a nice ride @ColinJ - I won't be joining you this time unfortunately - I simply don't have enough recovery yet - maybe next year
Somehow I had missed the exact details of what you had been through but I just searched and found them HERE. Yikes, you had a narrow escape and have obviously had a really hard time! I hope that you CAN join us next time. Good luck with the recovery.

I was going to warn you that it was closing for a long period, thought it was anytime soon, but luckily it's after this ride. I can ride the path & report back if you like? I'll ride it on 23mm tyres & if it's ok on them everyone should be fine :okay:
That would be handy - thanks.

Sadly I'm working on late shifts all that weekend, so won't be able to make the start or finish, but will probably meet up mid ride & ride to/over the bridge with you guys then head to work :blush: I'm not too familiar with roads over that side of Hull, but willing to look at any alternatives to the route that you may have in mind :okay:
Oh well, just make a mid-ride guest appearance then!

Slioch

Guru
Ok. Here's a suggested route that cuts out any of the larger hills around Swanland. I've just mapped the bit between North Cave and the Humber Bridge. I've done this route myself probably about 3 years ago, and it was all on tarmac or roadside cycle track which was all in reasonable nick, and not too much in the way of broken glass/debris/feral youths etc. Not sure what it's like now though. The A63 is a busy road, but for the short sections where this route runs alongside it it is all on segregated cycle track.

upload_2019-5-23_21-9-50.png

And here's a link to this map on RidewithGPS so you can zoom in/out.

Between Elloughton and Welton the Trans Pennine Trail/NCN65 takes a route to the north of the A63, but this includes an unnecessary hill which can easily be avoided by keeping to roads south of the A63.

When you cross the A63 at Melton you do so on a "footbridge" which has loads of ramps so you can ride up it without getting off, there's then a cycle track to the south of the A63 which takes you into North Ferriby.

When the road meets the A63 again at the Ferriby Interchange just to the West of the bridge, the route is beside the main road but on a separate cycle path which takes you around the interchange until you rejoin Ferriby Road which takes you to the Humber Bridge Country Park, from where you access the bridge.

Last edited:

Slioch

Guru
know we looked at the TPT between North Ferriby and Hessle but I think it was ruled out because its surface was poor? If we did decide to use it, it would be just in time because I just found a notice on the Sustrans site saying that it will be closed 2 days later for 6-12 months, maybe longer, for safety inspections and remedial work by Network Rail.

I've also ridden this route before in both dry and wet conditions. It's unpaved and can be a bit rough in places, and is just about ok in the dry if you're on skinny tyres, but if it's been wet then the surface, which is a white chalky kind of substance, can be soft in places and slippy. Do-able if you're on a mountain bike or a hybrid with wider tyres, but probably borderline if you're on skinnies. The white gunge also makes a right good mess of your pride and joy.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I’be been on a couple of these in previous years, and would always stick my hand up for another.
However, it’s the same weekend as the VeloRetro event in Ulverston which is always on my to-do list.
Your ride is on Saturday whereas the Ulverston rides are on the Sunday. I won’t have the stamina to do them both!
Bugger, can’t win eh Colin?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

On my maps I can see a cycle path next to the
I’be been on a couple of these in previous years, and would always stick my hand up for another.
However, it’s the same weekend as the VeloRetro event in Ulverston which is always on my to-do list.
Your ride is on Saturday whereas the Ulverston rides are on the Sunday. I won’t have the stamina to do them both!
Bugger, can’t win eh Colin?
Drat - I was going to tag you to make sure you spotted this thread!

Top Bottom