Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Last night we went to the cinema, then for a drink, so I left my car at work.
This morning we rode in th pick it up. Had we have gone the direct way it would have been 6 miles, but we went via a Great Shelford and it turned into 18 miles.

We were on solos too. I couldn’t be bothered to put the tandem on the car...
1C19B167-C1A1-4390-A9E4-DB4B0217A836.jpeg

Coming out of Harston toward Newton the barriers on the train track came down
CCB2EF03-2E2F-43D5-AA94-D1C8EEA5729C.jpeg

We had our usual bet. Jo said train from Cambridge...... wrong!
C18FED62-1E68-4A7E-9684-ABE82EA6F1EA.jpeg

It came from London.

So, 18 miles and Strava isn’t playing ball.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
One of my regular routes today to rack up some miles having missed out on a couple of decent riding days. I went round the edge of Shrewsbury to Montford Bridge, Shrawardine, Pentre, Melverley, Prince's Oak, Westbury, Nox, Exford's Green and back via Hunger Hill and Lyth Hill.

Quite blustery out but not too cold. There were a few minor showers about so I did get drizzled on for a bit. The first half of the ride was mostly into the wind so progress was fairly sedate. Reaching Crew Green (after Melverley) I had the first of a few stretches with the wind helping which was a lot nicer and I got some good cruising speeds going. As is often the case, the stretch from Westbury to Nox was favoured and I spent most of the 3 miles doing around 25mph.:hyper: Later on I got a good run into the dip by Westley and hit a new top speed for the knockabout bike of 37.5 mph.

Good to see a fair few other cyclists out and about, and a nice mix too from the serious club chain gang to those just out for a gentle potter round.

33.3 miles today at 13.8 mph average and, as mentioned above, that 37.5 mph maximum.^_^

DSC0007322.jpg

Sunshine and threatening cloud en route between Shrawardine and Pentre.

DSC0007323.jpg

The Royal Hill.

DSC0007326.jpg

Getting blown about a bit at Crew Green. Fortunately I'm turning left at the end of this road.

DSC0007327.jpg

Another shower rolling across Pontesford Hill.

Katherine

Guru
Club ride cancelled because of the 45nph winds that were forecast. So I managed 17 miles before it got too strong, about 20mph I think, but it was raining too. A bit of a workout into the headwinds and I managed not too get blown off in the sidewinds. Despite an average speed of 10mph, I did get a PR on the return with a tail wind.
Still not done a CC challenge distance ride but I did get an entry for the photo comp and went to Astley Green and Boothstown to get me started on the new ABC challenge.

C R

Guru
Today I was going to attempt getting up the Wyche Cutting and go round to British Camp in the Malverns. Weather was quite mild, but a bit breezy.

Out at ten to seven. When going Malvern way I follow the southern link road and then turn for Bransford. It is a nice route, with a bike path all the way along the busy link road. The problem is that the bit of path between the Carrington bridge and the Powick roundabout is not very good, quite narrow and bad surface. To avoid that section I went Diglis park way, over the river using the new cycle/pedestrian bridge, and then out to the Malvern road in Lower Wick. Much nicer ride. Then to the Powick roundabout to rejoin the link road path.

Once turning towards Bransford the wind was head on, so even down the hill I was having to put some effort to keep my speed. Luckily the road is sheltered once the ramp for Bransford starts, so didn't have to contend with the wind. The sky was starting to clear at this point, and I could see my destination ahead.
IMG_20190113_073818266.jpg

So onwards to Leigh Sinton, and then left towards Malvern Link. I took the ascent easy, as I wanted to be sure I would have energy left for the second bit. After Malvern Link the road levels iff a bit going through Great Malvern, and then the climb starts again before turning for the Wyche. I stopped here for a breather and a nut bar, admiring the abbey
IMG_20190113_080622682_HDR.jpg

As I was setting off again two cyclists in road bikes went past. I followed them, and managed to stay with them for about a third of the way, but I had to drop a gear, and they slowly pulled away. I eventually dropped to my lowest gear, and just spun my way to the top, which I reached without dismounting. The reward was this view of the Severn valley south of Worcester
IMG_20190113_082247207_HDR.jpg

Then across the cut was Herefordshire
IMG_20190113_082446112.jpg

Up to here the hill was shielding the wind, but on the west side riding towards the A449 along Jubilee drive the wind was somewhat annoying at times.

This section is substantially flat, with a small climb to the A449 at the end. The cafe had just opened, so I had a coffee to celebrate the achievement. I wasn't expecting the cafe to be open, so had had a nut bar earlier, otherwise I would have had a slice of cake too.

Once refreshed set off down the A449 back towards Malvern, and then a right for Upton via Welland. This section of the road runs straight down the hill, and I managed a 25mph average down to Welland.

From Upton the way back was the usual Earls Croome, Kinnersley and Wadborough way. Down past Norton church and past Norton Barracks the wind was against me, so the last stretch was quite hard work.

Weather was really mild, and I was slightly overdressed. Loads of other friendly cyclists around today.

Really chuffed with my achievement. Next challenge is going all the way from Leigh Sinton without stopping.

35.3 miles at 12.8mph, and 1600 feet of climbing according to mapmyride.
IMG_20190113_175736.jpg

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
It's been a while... 167 days to be precise :sad:

Well I know some don't count virtual rides as real rides but stick with me because this was an important one!

Today I rode my bike on the turbo trainer for a 15 minute session. It's been the first time I've been able to get on my bike since the end of July last year when I last rode in the real world (this was for Crohn's & Colitis UK at the Prudential RideLondon 100)

Shortly after, I became seriously ill and ended up unable to walk, After an extended stay in hospital including sepsis I was discharged and had a few weeks at home but then became acutely ill again and was readmitted via A&E and had major surgery. I now have a stoma and have spent the last few months recovering - something not easy when you have previously been active and generally well.

Today I achieved something that I have only dreamed of for the last few months - riding my bike again. Yes, I know it was only on a turbo trainer but I sat on my bike and turned the pedals and actually felt a step closer to normal again.

So here it is, all 15 minutes and 3.48 virtual miles. Here's to many more.

PS I wish I looked as good as my Strava Avatar!!

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 18.01.23.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 17.31.56.png

colly

Re member eR

Well I know some don't count virtual rides as real rides but stick with me because this was an important one!

Today I rode my bike on the turbo trainer for a 15 minute session. It's been the first time I've been able to get on my bike since the end of July last year when I last rode in the real world (this was for Crohn's & Colitis UK at the Prudential RideLondon 100)

Shortly after, I became seriously ill and ended up unable to walk, After an extended stay in hospital including sepsis I was discharged and had a few weeks at home but then became acutely ill again and was readmitted via A&E and had major surgery. I now have a stoma and have spent the last few months recovering - something not easy when you have previously been active and generally well.

Today I achieved something that I have only dreamed of for the last few months - riding my bike again. Yes, I know it was only on a turbo trainer but I sat on my bike and turned the pedals and actually felt a step closer to normal again.

View attachment 446942

View attachment 446941

Sounds like you have been through the mill a bit. Lets hope you continue to make progress.

C R

Guru

View attachment 446942

View attachment 446941
Well done, just keep turning those pedals.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

View attachment 446942

View attachment 446941
Well done and I wish you all the best for continued improvement.:thumbsup:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I always feel guilty what with my lack of photos. Truth is, I don't like stopping. Don't do cafe stops or more than the occasional picture of something I consider worth stopping for! Never mind stopping, I haven't felt much like riding since the Summer. I got out on Christmas Day for a quick ride and decided to do another today.
As a few have mentioned, it felt warm, (I had to take my hat off mid ride!) but was also very windy. Most of the first part was into this wind and as I was on the mountain bike, I really felt it. My road bike really isn't suited to mud as it tends to block up the fag paper clearances.

Whilst heading towards Brewood, I saw a very bright light very low down. This turned out to be one of those mobile kayak things on wheels. Full fairing and looks incredibly fast; velo-something? Wouldn't mind a go in one of those!

I maintained slow but steady progress into the wind and looked forwards to turning the corner only to be hit by more headwind! How does it manage to do this? I did eventually pick up better conditions and speed picked up.

I was still a lot slower than I remember but this bike is heavy! Solidly engineered to say the least! 25 miles in one hour 45 minutes. By a quirk of fate, I saw that recumbent thing again on nearly the same bit of road but we were going in the opposite direction. I bet he had been further than me though!

Here is a picture of the bike:

image.jpeg

It is a 1990 Saracen Kili Flier Comp. This chain and cassette must have got 15000 miles on them, probably more!

image.jpeg

The bars area are a proper throwback. The stem is a Softride. It is better than a Flexstem (I like those as well) as it is built around a spring with a parallelogram built around it. This means the bar angle doesn't change as it suspends down. It gives a very smooth ride.

The bar extensions are Profile Durrango Cross Country bars. I got them when the Worlds came to Plymouth back in the early 90s. Now that was a good day!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

View attachment 446942

View attachment 446941

Welcome back:okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

View attachment 446942

View attachment 446941

Great to hear that you're back in the saddle @Buck

Keep those pedals turning. :okay:

Top Bottom