York-Humber Bridge-York. A flat(-tish) imperial century, 3rd September, 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was hoping to make this but the date change means it clashes with our family holiday. Hopefully next year. Hope you get good weather for it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was hoping to make this but the date change means it clashes with our family holiday. Hopefully next year. Hope you get good weather for it.

That's a shame, but there is always the chance that a rail strike or appalling weather will cause it to be put back another week so keep your eyes on the thread just in case.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Provisional list of riders:
More riders welcome! :hello:

I have put a skinny rack on the singlespeed bike that I will once more be using for this ride. I have a cheapo Lidl pannier which I want to use to carry my stuff so I can do without my usual backpack. (The backpack is okay for shortish rides but I would rather carry a pannier on longer rides.) The pannier was tending to flop into the spokes of the rear wheel on its test ride so it needs stiffening. I have a cunning plan which involves a sawn-up plastic tea tray... :whistle:

In case it affects anyone's travel planning, the bridge is having maintenance work done over the coming month, and will have contra-flows and some restrictions on the main carriage way on the weekends, which could have some minor impact on the footway.

It's due to close overnight on the 17th Sept, although this could change depending on the weather.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

In case it affects anyone's travel planning, the bridge is having maintenance work done over the coming month, and will have contra-flows and some restrictions on the main carriage way on the weekends, which could have some minor impact on the footway.

It's due to close overnight on the 17th Sept, although this could change depending on the weather.

Thanks. We haven't exactly had a rush of interest from 'the south', but you never know! :okay:

I think I’d like to have a go. What time do you start?

Jameshow

Veteran
I'm be up for it if we get back from Devon on the Friday.

Need to find some tools as my tool kit is at my parents.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think I’d like to have a go. What time do you start?

I'm be up for it if we get back from Devon on the Friday.

Need to find some tools as my tool kit is at my parents.
Great!

Don't forget that the ride taking place on the 3rd depends on there being no rail strike that day. Also, if the forecasts were absolutely dire then I would prefer to put it back a week. Final decision on that would be on the 1st or 2nd. If you would be travelling by train, don't buy your tickets until then, just in case.

I could make an early start from Todmorden (just before 07:00!) and that should give me a choice of 3 trains to get me to Leeds in time for 2 trains to York, for around 09:00. I suggest what we did last time which was to start from Station Rd at the front of York railway station at 09:15. Last time everybody was waiting for me in a cafe at the station. If you wanted to do that this time then you would have to arrange that among yourselves and let me know where you will be.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PS - @Jameshow - I should be cycling in the Exeter/Crediton/Okehampton/Exmouth areas at various times from the 21st August to the 29th. If you have a bike down there, would be somewhere in that area, and fancied a Devon meet-up, let me know.

Jameshow

Veteran
PS - @Jameshow - I should be cycling in the Exeter/Crediton/Okehampton/Exmouth areas at various times from the 21st August to the 29th. If you have a bike down there, would be somewhere in that area, and fancied a Devon meet-up, let me know.

Yes I do but it's an old slick tyred Steel Fusion MTB.. The Labrador ment any change if taking a road bike down has one out the window!

I tend to get out early doors before the kids / wife get out perhaps a jaunt over Dartmoor?

Jameshow

Veteran
Great!

Don't forget that the ride taking place on the 3rd depends on there being no rail strike that day. Also, if the forecasts were absolutely dire then I would prefer to put it back a week. Final decision on that would be on the 1st or 2nd. If you would be travelling by train, don't buy your tickets until then, just in case.

I could make an early start from Todmorden (just before 07:00!) and that should give me a choice of 3 trains to get me to Leeds in time for 2 trains to York, for around 09:00. I suggest what we did last time which was to start from Station Rd at the front of York railway station at 09:15. Last time everybody was waiting for me in a cafe at the station. If you wanted to do that this time then you would have to arrange that among yourselves and let me know where you will be.

If there were rail strikes and we live in relative close proximity W York's we could take my van and a car for 10 friendly riders!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I tend to get out early doors before the kids / wife get out perhaps a jaunt over Dartmoor?

Ah - I tend to be a later riser, especially on holiday! :whistle:

I am probably going to catch a train over to Okehampton and ride from there one day, but I think that it wouldn't get me there until...

Oh, excuse me while I enjoy a 'WTF MOMENT'.... :eek:

I just went to check the train times from Exeter St Davids to Okehampton and this is what I got!!!!

WTF NR.png

I think that the NR database/website has some gremlins at work! :laugh:

If there were rail strikes and we live in relative close proximity W York's we could take my van and a car for 10 friendly riders!

It's nice of you to offer but there might be others coming from elsewhere by train.

I didn't realise that you are normally in West Yorkshire! Which bit?

Top Bottom