York-Humber Bridge-York Saturday, June 9th, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
I can do June 9th not the July date . A few logistics to sort out how to get there probably have to drive up. But Leicester Cyclechat should make an appearance

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I can do June 9th not the July date . A few logistics to sort out how to get there probably have to drive up. But Leicester Cyclechat should make an appearance

I was thinking of taking the Friday off work and riding up, staying in a premier inn or similar in York, stay Saturday night and ride back Sunday

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here is my attempt at the outward leg for you all to review. It uses NCN 65 in various places where it makes sense to, and elsewhere the quietest roads that don't involve major detours

Here's a rough map (and elevation profile):

York to Humber north of river.png

Description:

York railway station, NCN 65/TPT from the racecourse to Moor Ln, Deighton, Escrick, Skipwith, South Duffield, Hemingbrough, NCN 65/TPT, Barmby on the Marsh, Asselby, Howden, Kilpin, Laxton, Yokefleet, Faxfleet, NCN 65/TPT, Broomfleet, Ellerker, then criss-crossing the A63 through Elloughton and Melton to North Ferriby, Hessle, Humber Bridge, Waters Edge Country Park visitor centre cafe in Barton-upon-Humber

Distance approximately 80 km (50 miles).

I apologise for the extreme lumpiness of the route. I tried to keep the climbing down as much as possible, but couldn't avoid a few metres (feet) here and there ... Opinions please! :okay:

I've attached a gpx file for this proposed outward leg.

Attachments

• York to Humber Bridge.gpx
    73.3 KB · Views: 107
If I make it, can the route pass Elvington to see the Victor? Last time I was up near York (and stopping) was 1991 I think.....

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Please take heed, those of you who have done the ride before ... As self-appointed CEO for this year's ride, I have decreed that it will start from the front of York railway station instead of the Minster! :okay:

I'm hoping that the big changes to the route go down well. It is still a good flat route, but this time we will get 2 crossings of the bridge for the price of 1!

If I make it, can the route pass Elvington to see the Victor? Last time I was up near York (and stopping) was 1991 I think.....
Aaargh - we went that way the past 2 years but this time I wanted to steer clear of the B1228 because of a few unpleasantly close overtakes in the rain in 2017! :laugh:

If you are making a weekend of it, couldn't you nip over there on the Friday or the Sunday? :whistle:

JEEEEEEZ - I just searched for information on the Victor and found THIS!!!!!! :eek:

Jody

Stubborn git
Is this ride open to all? If yes what kind of pace are you expecting.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ride is open to all.

In the past, we've cracked on a bit on the flat bits - which is a lot of it - but no one is out to break any records.

The pace also tends to drop after lunch as the climbing and general fatigue kicks in.

Someone may have the average speeds for earlier years, but my guess would be about 12/13mph.

Taking an hour for lunch, we are normally back by about 7pm.

That was much later one year due to torrential rain and a mechanical or two.

Reasonable train bail out opportunity at Brough station near the bridge.

Jody

Stubborn git
Excellent. I will keep an eye on this thread nearer to the date. That type of pace looks good so weather/kids/commitments and all the rest permitting I might see you there.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Is this ride open to all? If yes what kind of pace are you expecting.
It is open to everyone who is confident of being able to ride 100 (nearly) flat miles. It is about as easy a route as you could find so it is an ideal opportunity to get a long ride in.

I would suggest that you had previously done a ride of at least (say) 65 miles and been okay with that. We don't want people to exhaust themselves trying to step up too much distance in one ride. It might well be possible to complete the ride even if you had only ridden 30-40 miles before but it wouldn't really be sensible. Of course there is still plenty of time to build up endurance for this ride if anybody needs to do that!

As for speed ... I normally don't put any emphasis on speed but most of my rides are very hilly so they tend to be slow. This one will need to be a bit quicker because it is longer. Not crazy speeds, but a reasonable 'steady' pace as I mentioned in one post earlier ...

As @Pale Rider suggests, maybe 12-13 mph with an aim to get back into York no later than 7 pm. Littgull and I will have tickets booked for a particular train (probably 7:45 pm) so we can't afford to be getting back late and we need to have some time in reserve for any pesky mechanicals. (I got 2 punctures on the run back a couple of years ago.)

I will have the route on my GPS. I would like at least a couple of riders to have their own means of navigating so we could potentially split into 2 groups if we had to. We did that in 2016 to let faster riders go on ahead.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Some riders who did the ride in the past couple of years or who showed interest in doing it ... @middleagecyclist, @StuAff, @Slioch, @Oldfentiger (I hope your bad leg is sorted by then!), @Kestevan, @gbs, @EasyPeez, @SpuddyJones, @doughnut (if your broken bones have healed and you are doing long rides again!), @Starchivore - come on down! :hello:

Rider lists so far ...

June 9th option (6-9 riders):
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull
  • DCLane
  • Pale Rider
  • Supersuperleeds
  • 13 rider
  • NorthernDave?
  • Jody?
  • Soltydog? (some of the way)

July 14th option (5-9 riders):
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull
  • Pale Rider
  • Supersuperleeds
  • tallliman
  • Buck?
  • NorthernDave?
  • Jody?
  • Soltydog? (some of the way)
Not much in it at the moment. We'll see how the numbers stack up as we get nearer to June. I would like to fix the date by mid-May.

Slioch

Guru
Yes, count me in again please. I'm ok with either of the proposed dates.

This is familiar territory for me, so I'll have a look at the proposed route options later on when I've got some time, and see if I can add anything intelligent to the mix, although at a quick glance it looks pretty good.

As the self-appointed CEO for this ride @ColinJ, you have accountability for sorting out a dry day for a change please. None of this "Oooh, aren't the thunderclouds above the Humber Bridge impressive" nonsense we've had previously. ^_^:sun::cheers:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As promised, a suggested route from Pocklington into York - just shy of 20 miles, fairly flat and virtually all on country lanes.
It's a dead easy route and could be an ideal way to add those extra miles on that might be required?
The only "busy" bit will be a couple of hundred yards or so of the A166 in Stamford Bridge to get across the river - but there is a pedestrian bridge if you don't fancy taking the road bridge.
That said...the route in York is a bit sketchy - I've relied on Garmin Connect to choose a suitable route from NCN 66 (around mile 17) to York Station - I don't know central York too well, especially not on a bike, so happy to be corrected here.

003.JPG

Just a suggestion, not a deal breaker if it's used or not.
GPX also attached.

Attachments

• COURSE_17961697.gpx
    77.6 KB · Views: 39
Top Bottom