York-Humber Bridge-York Saturday, June 9th, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hmmm.....
I have the week before July 9 off, so travelling up is doable. However, clashes with the Brighton FNRttC, so I'll do that instead. I will be crossing the Humber anyway (on the night ride...). July 14 is out, I'm off on the Fridays Tour in France...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmmm.....
I have the week before July 9 off, so travelling up is doable. However, clashes with the Brighton FNRttC, so I'll do that instead. I will be crossing the Humber anyway (on the night ride...). July 14 is out, I'm off on the Fridays Tour in France...
Stu - it is JUNE 9th and July 14th. Have fun in France!

As promised, a suggested route from Pocklington into York - just shy of 20 miles, fairly flat and virtually all on country lanes.
It's a dead easy route and could be an ideal way to add those extra miles on that might be required?
The only "busy" bit will be a couple of hundred yards or so of the A166 in Stamford Bridge to get across the river - but there is a pedestrian bridge if you don't fancy taking the road bridge.
That said...the route in York is a bit sketchy - I've relied on Garmin Connect to choose a suitable route from NCN 66 (around mile 17) to York Station - I don't know central York too well, especially not on a bike, so happy to be corrected here.

View attachment 403893

Just a suggestion, not a deal breaker if it's used or not.
GPX also attached.
I used cycle.travel to find a cycle path (NCN 66) through Stamford Bridge, bypassing the town centre. I can see the ends of it on Street View and it looks good. Then the cyclepath continues next to the A166 before turning turning left down Scoreby Ln and going cross-country to Dunnington.

I managed to find the extra distance already. In fact the proposed route currently totals 103 miles so we don't really want to be adding to it, but thanks anyway, Dave.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Stu - it is JUNE 9th and July 14th. Have fun in France!

I used cycle.travel to find a cycle path (NCN 66) through Stamford Bridge, bypassing the town centre. I can see the ends of it on Street View and it looks good. Then the cyclepath continues next to the A166 before turning turning left down Scoreby Ln and going cross-country to Dunnington.

I managed to find the extra distance already. In fact the proposed route currently totals 103 miles so we don't really want to be adding to it, but thanks anyway, Dave.
Typo...meant June 9!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Might be able to do 14th July although a bit worried I might be too slow.
We will probably average 12-13 mph while moving but as long as we only take around an hour for breaks we could get away with averaging just over 11 mph and still be back in York for 7 pm. Obviously if we stop for more than an hour then we would need to ride faster to make up for lost time.

I don't think you would struggle with 12-13 mph anyway, would you? Maybe if we got a killer headwind on the ride, but even then we would expect a lovely tailwind in the other direction.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Speaking of breaks, I liked the 'splash and dash' stop we had at Tesco in Goole on the old route.

We won't be going through Goole this time, so I wonder if there's a similar stopping opportunity in Howden?

It's not critical, but it does give everyone an early target, and I imagine any lady riders would appreciate the guaranteed availability of a toilet.

Julia9054

Guru
We will probably average 12-13 mph while moving but as long as we only take around an hour for breaks we could get away with averaging just over 11 mph and still be back in York for 7 pm. Obviously if we stop for more than an hour then we would need to ride faster to make up for lost time.

I don't think you would struggle with 12-13 mph anyway, would you? Maybe if we got a killer headwind on the ride, but even then we would expect a lovely tailwind in the other direction.
No.
Just feeling a bit "winter legs" at the moment!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

No.
Just feeling a bit "winter legs" at the moment!
I know the feeling, but you have nearly 2-3 months to find your "summer legs"! :okay:

Speaking of breaks, I liked the 'splash and dash' stop we had at Tesco in Goole on the old route.

We won't be going through Goole this time, so I wonder if there's a similar stopping opportunity in Howden?

It's not critical, but it does give everyone an early target, and I imagine any lady riders would appreciate the guaranteed availability of a toilet.
I wouldn't mind a quick stop there, but not as long as we were spending at Goole. Locals - is there anywhere suitable?

I don't want a panic ride to get back into York at the end of the ride in time to catch the train home. We had that kind of thing on the Llandudno ride last year and it was very stressful. I didn't have time to buy food at the chippy. Littgull and alibaba got back very late and were so desperately hungry that they took a chance and ran to a takeaway near the station. The train had been in for over 5 minutes before they returned with the food and it departed shortly after we boarded!

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Some riders who did the ride in the past couple of years or who showed interest in doing it ... @middleagecyclist, @StuAff, @Slioch, @Oldfentiger (I hope your bad leg is sorted by then!), @Kestevan, @gbs, @EasyPeez, @SpuddyJones, @doughnut (if your broken bones have healed and you are doing long rides again!), @Starchivore - come on down! :hello:

Rider lists so far ...

June 9th option (6-9 riders):
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull
  • DCLane
  • Pale Rider
  • Supersuperleeds
  • 13 rider
  • NorthernDave?
  • Jody?
  • Soltydog? (some of the way)

July 14th option (5-9 riders):
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull
  • Pale Rider
  • Supersuperleeds
  • tallliman
  • Buck?
  • NorthernDave?
  • Jody?
  • Soltydog? (some of the way)
Not much in it at the moment. We'll see how the numbers stack up as we get nearer to June. I would like to fix the date by mid-May.

I’d love to do this ride again. It makes a refreshing change to the hilly stuff near my gaff.
Dunno about the dates yet but will put my vote in when I know, so put me down as a probable for both.
I’m hoping that my cramp problem won’t be an issue over the flatter terrain.
I will also try to convince Mrs OFT that this will be doable for her too, but not holding my breath on that one.

jongooligan

Legendary Member

Don't think so. There's a Co-op in Howden but it doesn't have a customer toilet.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Either Trump's cruise missile attack on Syria went seriously astray, or the image copyright information is not telling us when the aerial photograph was actually taken ...!

Howden aerial photo.jpg

:laugh:

Ok, that is a break sorted - we can make a quick stop in Howden. Let's try and keep it down to 15-20 minutes because we will have to make up the time on the road!

Howden facilities.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom