England : North Yorkshire York - Humber Bridge - York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin,

If there is a ride on the 15th July I would have to give the Humber Bridge ride on the 22nd a miss as with being away separately this weekend it would mean I was 'disappearing' on my bike for 3 consecutive Saturdays all day. I'll see what has transpired regarding rides and dates fixed when I return from being away this weekend and l'll be in touch.
I had a feeling that would be the case but as you can imagine, trying to coordinate so many rides and cater for so many riders' agendas is tricky. If you have to miss the Humber Bridge ride, I would be happy to do it with you later in the year as one of our Thu or Fri rides.

ColinJ

Decision time. Come on chaps - time to bite the bullet. Col's doing his hardest to keep this ride alive, so the least we can do is show some decisiveness.

How about the 22nd. Reading back through the posts, it seems that is a date most can make????? (Although I could equally do the 15th or 29th as a fallback position if necessary).
You are right - decision time! I have been getting squeezed by holiday arrangements, family visits, and other rides PLUS if I am travelling by train I will also need to make bike reservations

So - I've made my own decision and hopefully a number of you will make the same one ... I'll be doing the ride on the 22nd. If my train is on time I will actually be about 35 minutes early so I wouldn't mind setting off before 09:00 once everybody has gathered, but certainly let's try not to be later than that?

Who will join me on the ride on the 22nd? :whistle:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've been quietly lurking on this thread to see if I can join you guys for some of the ride. I'm working on 22nd, but finish in Hull at 2pm, what's your anticipated departure time from the Humber Bridge? I might just be able to make part of the return journey :okay:

ColinJ

I don't think we will get to the cafe before 2 pm and we will probably stay for about 45 minutes so I reckon if you head straight for the cafe after you finish work then you should find us still there, or you would encounter us coming over the bridge towards you.

In case it isn't obvious, we are talking about the Waters Edge Country Park visitor centre cafe on the eastern side of the bridge.

ColinJ

Oh - @doughnut and @Starchivore - this isn't officially my ride, but I did say that I would 'tag' you in any ride threads that I am involved in, so consider yourselves tagged! :okay:

doughnut

Veteran
Thanks for the nudge Colin - always appreciate it. Unfortunately, I wont be able to make this one - I have talked my wife into going on a bike tour, so we are off cycling from Durham to Edinburgh over about 5-6 days (Coast+Castles route up to Berwick, then continuing up the coast rather than following the official C+C route). On 22nd I think we will be doing the Harry Potter thing at Alnwick Castle before heading up to Seahouses.

ColinJ

Thanks for the nudge Colin - always appreciate it. Unfortunately, I wont be able to make this one - I have talked my wife into going on a bike tour, so we are off cycling from Durham to Edinburgh over about 5-6 days (Coast+Castles route up to Berwick, then continuing up the coast rather than following the official C+C route). On 22nd I think we will be doing the Harry Potter thing at Alnwick Castle before heading up to Seahouses.
Ooh, that sounds good! I'm still planning to do the Bay Way this summer with a friend of mine if we can agree on the dates. (Non-cyclist so we would be taking 4 days rather than whizzing round in 1 or 2!)

doughnut

Veteran
The Bay Cycleway is excellent - my favourite route. We were going to do a trial 2-day tour from Glasson to Grange then back again next day, but that fell through. If you get good weather it will be great.

My wife has never cycled more than 40 miles in a day and only ridden more than 30 once, so the Coast and Castles planning still has some work needed - currently day 4 is 67 miles and I haven't told her yet. Might need an extra B+B booked in the middle of that one ^_^

You are right - decision time! I have been getting squeezed by holiday arrangements, family visits, and other rides PLUS if I am travelling by train I will also need to make bike reservations

So - I've made my own decision and hopefully a number of you will make the same one ... I'll be doing the ride on the 22nd. If my train is on time I will actually be about 35 minutes early so I wouldn't mind setting off before 09:00 once everybody has gathered, but certainly let's try not to be later than that?

Who will join me on the ride on the 22nd? :whistle:

Good stuff, count me in, so long as the forecast is dry.

I'll meet you in Howden. Do you anticipate being there around 10.30-11am?

I'll PM you my mobile number now and if you don't mind reciprocating that'll allow us to keep each other abreast of any delays/mishaps.

Cheers,

Andy

ColinJ

Good stuff, count me in, so long as the forecast is dry.

I'll meet you in Howden. Do you anticipate being there around 10.30-11am?

I'll PM you my mobile number now and if you don't mind reciprocating that'll allow us to keep each other abreast of any delays/mishaps.

Cheers,

Andy
That's great, Andy.

I checked my tracklog from last year and it took us 1 hour 40 minutes to get to Howden so with a start at 09:00, 10:30 -10:45 would be about right. A puncture might delay us until about 11:00, but hopefully that wouldn't happen. So if you aim to get there at 10:30, you shouldn't have too long to wait.

Wait for us somewhere obvious. How about here on the A63 ...? (I am not sure what that memorial (?) is but it is easy to spot from the road.)

Howden meeting place.jpg

If you arrive in Howden early and don't want to stand around waiting, then you could head north up the B1228 towards Sutton and meet us coming towards you.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Include me in, please.

Well done to @ColinJ for getting this ride back on track, looks like we shall have a decent squad.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing @Littgull and hopefully his new Thorn tourer - me and him will be able to bore the rest of you rigid when we discuss Rohloff gear ratios.

I've done this ride five times now, but still cannot picture the meeting point (above) for @EasyPeez.

We certainly pass the Press Association building on our right, so must pass the streetview linked by Colin, but I've no recollection of it.

I will get to the Minster closer to 8.30am, it would be handy if we could get away as soon as we are all assembled.

A bit of early concentration on getting the job done should see us get to lunch in good time.

I hope the called for pace is not putting anyone off, there really isn't a hill for the first 50 miles, so if ever there's a ride where you can make a bit of speed, it's this one.

And there's always the option of calming down a bit after lunch, or jumping on the train on the north side of the bridge.

All we need now is reasonable weather.

Top Bottom