England : North Yorkshire York - Humber Bridge - York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If I read the thread correctly, that leaves @Slioch, and @ColinJ, plus me as I'm keen to do the ride.

I'm aware @EasyPeez is considering joining us for most of it, which would make four, and there always the possibility of a couple of late declarations.

Leading is no problem, since the three of us have done the ride before and know where we are going, and @EasyPeez has done thousands of miles on the patch so we would get lost before he does.

Colin doesn't drive, so he may have made non-refundable public transport arrangements which would be a good reason to bash on regardless.

I'm content to go with the majority view, if Colin and slioch want to cancel it, that's fine by me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Looking at the numbers who now can't make the original date, I wonder if delaying by a weekend or two might be better? The problem with changing the date is that it would be unfair to anyone who couldn't make the new date. So ... I propose that we try to find a new date that suits everyone. If that isn't possible then choose a new date that suits all of the original riders plus the maximum number of other riders. If that isn't possible either, then stick to the 8th!

So, @busdennis, @Buck, @Slioch, @Kestevan, @gbs, @Pale Rider, @Littgull, @Oldfentiger (no appearance in the thread yet, but he did the ride last time) ... Could you please post below saying Y/N to the 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th July?

I am currently free every weekend in July except the first one so my choices are 8th -Y; 15th - Y; 22nd - Y; 29th - Y.

I agree that there shouldn't be any problem finding our way around. I would have to double-check how we got in and out of York but the rest of the route was straightforward with GPS assistance.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looking at the numbers who now can't make the original date, I wonder if delaying by a weekend or two might be better? The problem with changing the date is that it would be unfair to anyone who couldn't make the new date. So ... I propose that we try to find a new date that suits everyone. If that isn't possible then choose a new date that suits all of the original riders plus the maximum number of other riders. If that isn't possible either, then stick to the 8th!

So, @busdennis, @Buck, @Slioch, @Kestevan, @gbs, @Pale Rider, @Littgull, @Oldfentiger (no appearance in the thread yet, but he did the ride last time) ... Could you please post below saying Y/N to the 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th July?

I am currently free every weekend in July except the first one so my choices are 8th -Y; 15th - Y; 22nd - Y; 29th - Y.

I agree that there shouldn't be any problem finding our way around. I would have to double-check how we got in and out of York but the rest of the route was straightforward with GPS assistance.

This could get complicated, although for me it's simple - I could do any of the July Saturdays.

ColinJ

This could get complicated, although for me it's simple - I could do any of the July Saturdays.
I think my 'formula' copes with most possibilities without making we original riders lose out.

The one eventuality that I didn't consider is 2 new dates which suit all original riders and an equal number of different new riders on those dates. If that happened I propose the first of the dates in case that one gets re-postponed due to dire weather, which would leave us the option to switch to new date #2!

I know from experience that asking everyone what they want can cause problems.

I haven't bought any tickets yet. If anybody HAS committed spending to the original date then obviously we should stick to it!

Slioch

Guru
Evening all,:hello:

Pushing the date back from the 8th would suit me better. Unfortunately Mrs S has not been well and, although I've been ok to get out for a couple of hours or so here and there, leaving her on her own for the full day has not been possible.
She is now on the road to recovery and, being a gregarious Glaswegian lassie, is starting to get her social life back on track so has got friends coming to stay the weekends from 15th July onwards, thus freeing me up for longer days out. Not that I'm thinking of myself or anything like that of course.....:whistle:
So my availability is as follows...........
8th July - Unlikely.
15th - Yes
22nd - Yes
29th Yes.
August Saturdays - Yes

The route, as @ColinJ says, is fairly straightforward on the whole, however I would be more than happy to show the way from the Minster to outside of the Outer Ring Road.

ColinJ

I'm glad that Mrs S is on the mend!

Current date choices:
  • busdennis: 8th - N; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
  • ColinJ: 8th - Y; 15th - Y; 22nd - Y; 29th - Y
  • Buck: 8th - N; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
  • Slioch: 8th - N; 15th - Y; 22nd - Y; 29th - Y
  • Kestevan: 8th - N; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
  • gbs: 8th - N; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
  • Pale Rider: 8th - Y; 15th - Y; 22nd - Y; 29th - Y
  • Littgull: 8th - N; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
  • Oldfentiger: 8th - ?; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
Slioch's 'maybe' for the 8th has been counted as a 'no' - things start getting really complicated with maybes! :laugh:

ColinJ

Think I'm out for the whole of July unfortunately.
August not looking good either.

Sorry.
Oh well, maybe see you for a September ride, or for Season of Mists in October? :whistle:

Current date choices:
  • busdennis: 8th - N; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
  • ColinJ: 8th - Y; 15th - Y; 22nd - Y; 29th - Y
  • Buck: 8th - N; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
  • Slioch: 8th - N; 15th - Y; 22nd - Y; 29th - Y
  • gbs: 8th - N; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
  • Pale Rider: 8th - Y; 15th - Y; 22nd - Y; 29th - Y
  • Littgull: 8th - N; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
  • Oldfentiger: 8th - ?; 15th - ?; 22nd - ?; 29th - ?
Not able to ride in July:
  • Kestevan

Buck

Guru
I miss got be able to do 22/29 but whilst my diary is free I need to check with Mrs Buck to see what else is happening in Buck house!

I'll confirm once I've spoken to Mrs B

I'm interested in this ride, but don't hang your decision on me as I will only come along if the weather turns out to be fine on the day (I do enough cycling in the rain as part of my commute to want to do it in my free time too). As I live near Hull I'd just be joining for do part of it anyway - my plan would probably be to ride out early and meet you somewhere around Howden, then bail at North Cliffe.
If rearranging then the other dates that work for me in July are Sunday 16th or Saturday 22nd. Cheers.

Buck

Guru
What start time do we think? Is it still 9am

Mrs Buck is out on the 22nd which I could still do but can't be too late back...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What start time do we think? Is it still 9am

Mrs Buck is out on the 22nd which I could still do but can't be too late back...

Start needs to be no later than 9am so we can get to the lunch stop at the bridge before they stop serving hot food at either 3pm or 3.30pm.

That's about 64 miles, so with a short stop at Tesco in Goole, the elapsed time will be around five hours.

We ought to be at Howden to meet @EasyPeez around 10.30am, or a bit after.

Still 40 miles to do after lunch, probably be about 3.30pm by the time we restart which should see us back at the Minster around 7.30pm.

Although it was later for last year's wet ride because no one could summon the spirit to make any pace in the downpours after the bridge.

And Colin had a puncture which took a bit longer to fix than it might have done, not least because by that time we were tired, soaked, and not properly nourished having missed the hot food deadline at the cafe.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...ecc751bc7!8m2!3d53.6969923!4d-0.4418778?hl=en

Just catching up with this thread after a few days away. I'm still unable to do the original date of 8th July but I'm ok for 15th July. I will also be ok for one of either the 22nd or 29th July but won't know exactly which one until a bit nearer the time.

Top Bottom