York Rally

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I had meant to go for years but other things kept coming up, then this year they switched from CUK to BC so I can't take part anyway (and forcing modern helmets onto a retro ride is just silly, too), so no, I won't be going this year, or any year until/unless they stop using BC.

OP
OP
currystomper
I'll be wearing a helmet as I always do when on the road, but I think like you that making folk wear helmets just isn't required.

The problem is BC us a racing organisation and isn't really interested in normal everyday cyclists.

mjr

I'll be wearing a helmet as I always do when on the road, but I think like you that making folk wear helmets just isn't required.

The problem is BC us a racing organisation and isn't really interested in normal everyday cyclists.
Oh, they are interested, insofar as getting event organisers to pay them per-rider fees. I hope York Rally either use a different organisation for the rides you're interested in (I think Audax cannot be under BC rules/insurance? So that should still be a haven of sanity) or you're not intending to ride the recumbent in your avatar (which is banned by normal BC event rules).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Trikes/recumbents are quite a big feature of the rally - ICE always has a large stand with a demo fleet and a small test track.

The short organised ride down the solar track I did was very laid back.

It never occurred to me to check if it was BC, CUK, or anything else.

Pitch up, go with the flow, and you will have a grand time.

tom73

Guru
Not long had the bike so passed me by last year. Looks like great fun Mrs 73 just looked it up and has just booked us a room over night.
So count us two in :hyper:

Venod

Eh up
I had meant to go for years but other things kept coming up, then this year they switched from CUK to BC so I can't take part anyway (and forcing modern helmets onto a retro ride is just silly, too), so no, I won't be going this year, or any year until/unless they stop using BC.

Are you referring to the Sportive that was on 28th April when you mention the switch from CUK to BC or are you saying all the rides at the York rally are run under BC rules ?

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Are you referring to the Sportive that was on 28th April when you mention the switch from CUK to BC or are you saying all the rides at the York rally are run under BC rules ?
Neither. I was referring to the retro ride which was on the same day as the sportive but I got the impression from the organiser that they'd changed for all rides they could (which makes sense: why would you pay CUK's annual organiser fee and then still pay BC's per-rider fee?). If that's not the case, that would be great.

Venod

Eh up
Neither. I was referring to the retro ride which was on the same day as the sportive but I got the impression from the organiser that they'd changed for all rides they could (which makes sense: why would you pay CUK's annual organiser fee and then still pay BC's per-rider fee?). If that's not the case, that would be great.

I don't know the answer but it would be a big disappointment if helmet compulsion was required on all the rides, perhaps somebody could enlighten us.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
currystomper
The Audax ride aren't under BC, are pretty relexed, I'm sure I have seen some cycling caps on the shorter Audax's up here in Scotland but I'm not 100% sure of the rules on helmets.

Venod

Eh up
Looked on York Rally site and most rides seem to be free, so I assume they are not run under CUK or BC rules, I may be wrong.

OP
OP
currystomper
I would have thought so too, There is a school boy/girl grass track event which maybe BC. There are some self drive route suggestion which really can't be BC.

OP
OP
currystomper
At the York rally, it's a glorious weekend, did the Audax yesterday, after the last control it was straight into the beer tent for a pint with my ride buddy's for celebratory pint!

Top Bottom