York Rally

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
currystomper
Yup - booked up and looking forward to the weekend. Just seen that they have my fav cycling podcast author speaking, Jack Thurston of the the bike show pobcast - looking forward to meeting him!!

simongt

Guru
All ready as such, just have to pack tent, kit, food and bike, ready to travel. :okay:
Looking forward to it, just the A.1 bit to York which can occasionally be an issue, but what the hell - ! ^_^

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I've been checking the weather for the past week or so regularly as I'm doing the Lincoln 262 (start from York). The probability of rain in the area is steadily increasing so defo taking the rain jacket.

OP
OP
currystomper
Had a great day at the York Rally, great gravel ride and interesting Lost Lanes talk from Jack Thursdon were the highlights
IMG_20220618_131042.jpg

IMG_20220618_165856.jpg

simongt

Guru
For me, the rally was a 'Curate's Egg' - excellent in parts. Maybe I was expecting too much, but after the covid break, I thought that there would have been more than there was. Would have expected more 'new' trade stands, although there was no shortage of vendors of secondhand / 'vintage' goodies of allsorts - ! ^_^However, I went on two excellent rides; the Retro on Saturday and the Green Lanes on Sunday. a fine selection of bikes and good company on both days. Agree ref. the Jack Thurston talk and the Auction on Satruday afternoon was a real eye opener for the novice - ! Allsorts going under the hammer for some surprising prices; A Freddie Grubb fixie in vgc for £170, carbon front forks for a fiver, but a Curly Hetchin's frame with a fluted seat tube, but very poor paint condition didn't sell. :whistle: Was very tempted with the last, but don't have the facilities or knowledge to do the restoration. :sad:

OP
OP
currystomper
I guess the on/off ride over rode my disappointment in the lack of longer rides this year with both the rally long ride and the audax not going ahead this year. Hopefully these will come back next year, but I may just go on the on/off ride again it was quite a giggle

simongt

Guru
Apparently, there was a new committee this year, so things should improve with experience and encouraging, constructive feedback. :okay:

OP
OP
currystomper
It was a great event, even before taking into account the troubles of the last couple of years, well done to all the organisers including any new folk! Appologies if I offended. Ps the pizzas where great too!

Top Bottom