Yorkshire Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey we have estates like that,Gipton ,Seacroft,Miggy and Chapeltown.
Yes it’s on the signs as you go onto those estates enter at your own risk & abandon hope all ye who enter here
Around Wakefield, we have Lupset, Portobello, & 'Peacock'

Then, as areas
South Kirby
South Elmsall
Hemsworth

I once took a wrong turning in the car, in Middleton & ended up on (looking at the map, & working from memory) Throstle Lane, to the east side of Middleton Park Avenue
There were fridges, settees, bits of car on the pavements
Granted, this was 20+ years ago, it's hopefully changed now

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Wishing everyone a Happy Yorkshire Day from across t'pond!
Yes that's nice of you, but it's not actually a national holiday like Christmas Day or Good Friday, though if the Tykes had their way it would be!:rolleyes:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes that's nice of you, but it's not actually a national holiday like Christmas Day or Good Friday, though if the Tykes had their way it would be!:rolleyes:
Well all the schools are closed for it.

As for national holiday, aye, if you're from Yorkshire. Otherwise nay.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think I've mentioned it on CC before. The local library has or had a red rose sign outside the building which faced south, so over the years it's faded in the sun and turned a ghastly white! :eek: I'm going to contact my local councillor and demand that someone from the council gets up a ladder and repaints it Lancashire red!!:thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member
Apparently in York it's still legal to kill a Scotsman on the city walls after sundown.

This could explain why my wife never goes into town after it gets dark. She's from Glasgow!
Longbow only though. Kind of hard trying to explain that one to the police, when they ask why you're carrying one.

Apparently in York it's still legal to kill a Scotsman on the city walls after sundown.

This could explain why my wife never goes into town after it gets dark. She's from Glasgow!
So it goes, as a never repealed legislation, hence my remark to my Lancastrian... erm….. collegue - as I quote below
Not, I suspect, used as a defence in a Court Of Law

The same alleged statute is also (again, supposedly) in force, for Welshmen in Chester between sundown & sunrise

Rather oddly the first person I saw today, on arrival, was one of the Lancastrians I mentioned in my original post, who stated "Happy Yorkshire Day!"
(the one married to a Wakefield girl)
I'm not sure if he believed me, when I stated that on 1st August (only), it was still legal to shoot any Lancastrians found within the (pre-1974) West Riding boundary

postman

Legendary Member
I once took a wrong turning in the car, in Middleton & ended up on (looking at the map, & working from memory) Throstle Lane, to the east side of Middleton Park Avenue
There were fridges, settees, bits of car on the pavements

I used to work in Stourton,one morning my Motor Scooter broke down i pushed it to Startright's Motor Cycle shop. I passed a street named Sharp Lane i think .I was stunned to see the same stuff on the street and i was well over forty years of age by then,i had never seen anything like it,how people could live amongst that crap .

Top Bottom