Yorkshire Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuee147

i sued to stay in Yorkshire for a bit and some of the hills are just evil i used to hate driving up them let alone trying to cycle lol

NorvernRob

Most of my riding is in the Peak District, and you're either climbing or descending pretty much the whole time. And to get there I need to ride 8-10 miles through Sheffield, which also barely has a flat road to speak of.

Even the road I live on is a 500ft immediate climb if I turn right out of my driveway!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My rule for Yorkshire is to try to avoid cycling up anything that has 'bank' in the name...
There is one bank in Yorkshire that you might have difficulty in even finding, let alone riding up - The Yorkshire Bank! At least, round here anyway ... I joined it years ago because I liked the idea of a local bank, then they went and sold out to an Australian banking group and shut the local branch, so I gave up on 'em. :laugh:

The TdF peloton will be climbing Ripponden New Bank which is quite tough ... link, but it is a great pity that they are not going to inflict the steeper, narrower and partly cobbled Ripponden Old Bank on them - link! :whistle:

KneesUp

Guru
Even the road I live on is a 500ft immediate climb if I turn right out of my driveway!

You must live near me - the hills are a bit reason getting back into cycling is so hard!

On the upside, once I get a bit fit, it's going to be very easy to add some more hills to my commute without making it much longer. I try to think of it as like having a very variable machine in the gym - I don't have to find hours if I want a good workout, I can just choose a route with a few 'Bankn's in it :smile: It'd be nice to just get on the bike and coast along sometimes though!

MarkF

Guru
I live in the Aire Valley, it's pretty flat from my house 10 miles east (To Leeds) and 20 miles west (To Skipton). The hills either side of my training route look wonderful. :thumbsup:

NorvernRob

You must live near me - the hills are a bit reason getting back into cycling is so hard!

On the upside, once I get a bit fit, it's going to be very easy to add some more hills to my commute without making it much longer. I try to think of it as like having a very variable machine in the gym - I don't have to find hours if I want a good workout, I can just choose a route with a few 'Bankn's in it :smile: It'd be nice to just get on the bike and coast along sometimes though!

Definitely! We went to Matlock last Sunday, and the last 5 miles there are virtually flat. We averaged just over 20mph for that section, barely breaking a sweat - it was so much easier than dragging your arse up another bloody hill!

But, having said that, there's nothing as satisfying as reaching the top of a hill, and you also get views that you never could in flat areas. It's just getting there that's the hard part - I curse, swear, call my mate names if he's chosen that way, hate cycling, am set on selling on the bike and want to get off and throw it over a wall. Then it flattens out and I love it again. :bicycle:

Big Nick

I live in (North) Yorkshire and started off avoiding steep hills like the plague but your choice of routes are very limited if you do!

I've only just started embracing the challenge and as long as I can get halfway up before the burn starts I can get to the top of most average hills as big factors in getting up them are mindset and technique.

I hate the feeling of failing to ride up even more than the pain endured of getting up them which helps!

Top Bottom