Yorkshire puddings.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Mrs P is struggling to get Yorkshire puddings to rise.No not mine.So lard is in a shallow tray turning blue but they turn out like disks.Come on help let me be the one to do a tray of four perfect puddings.Get yer thinking caps on.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Sounds like Sr flour instead of plain - that's what I did wrong last week!

140ml flour, 4 eggs, 200ml milk (semi skimmed). Mix up with some salt and leave to stand.

Put the lard in the oven at 220ml and heat until it is smoking. The mixture should be room temperature and should sizzle when it gets poured into the oil. If it doesn’t sizzle, the lard isn’t hot enough. Oh and do not use olive oil due to the very high saturation point.

Should come out like this
FAA2AA43-3D85-4FA1-8501-67DA5D393336.jpeg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Sounds like Sr flour instead of plain - that's what I did wrong last week!
Seems counter-intuitive, but absolutely this. We don't even give house room to self-raising, as plain flour can always be converted if necessary.
140ml flour, 4 eggs, 200ml milk (semi skimmed). Mix up with some salt and leave to stand.

Put the lard in the oven at 220ml and heat until it is smoking. The mixture should be room temperature and should sizzle when it gets poured into the oil. If it doesn’t sizzle, the lard isn’t hot enough. Oh and do not use olive oil due to the very high saturation point.

Should come out like this View attachment 558383
:okay: Four eggs seems more than enough, but it's been a while since I made Yorkshires.

alicat

Legendary Member
Is this a new problem @postman? If so, what has changed? Has she swopped to (semi)-skimmed milk or bought smaller eggs or is she using a new oven/baking tray etc?

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
What whisky is it ?
I am having a bog standard one with lemonade at the moment.
Is this a new problem @postman? If so, what has changed? Has she swopped to (semi)-skimmed milk or bought smaller eggs or is she using a new oven/baking tray etc?
No we have been buying Aunt Bessies from the shops.She fancied doing her own.But she is from Preston Lancashire so at a disadvantage straight away.:rolleyes:

alicat

Legendary Member
I've always struggled with Yorkshires and I'm a Leeds lass. My mum told me to use full fat milk and that helped. What really improved them was increasing the number of eggs.

so maybe try that or else go back to Aunt Bessie's. :whistle:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Is semi-skimmed moo a problem? I use Soya milk because my better half has dairy allergies. Works quite well (9/10).

Don't use Oatley.

Been using the Marry Berry recipe for a few years now, works very well.

We use olive oil instead of lard in the tray though and get that really hot, they take about 12-13mins @ 210º fan

raleighnut

Legendary Member
1/2 a pint of Milk, 4 tablespoons (heaped) of Plain Flour, a large Egg and a pinch of Salt. Whack it in the blender for a minute then let stand for a while before pouring into a fairy cake tin (12 cake version) with hot Sunflower Oil* never failed to make lovely 'Yorkies'

* What I do is half fill one of the cake bits in the centre of an end with Sunflower oil then tilt the tray so it runs to the other end equally filling the centre row then tilt backwards to fill another row and forwards to fill the final one then a quick 'twizzle with a finger in each to coat the whole surface with oil before whacking in the Oven to 'preheat', this gives the same amount in each not too much that they're swimming in fat but enough to stop them sticking. :becool:

Top Bottom