Yorkshire submits bid to host 2019 road world championships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamma

Über Member
Already a thread about this but yes it would be great if we got it

oldroadman

Veteran
Having the world's here would be good. Last time was 82 at Goodwood, I remember that quite well. Days of Hinault, who sent a domestique up the road, alone, who got through 160 or so lumpy kilometres in about 3-50. Astounded a lot of British TTers. :-)
If it does go to Yorkshire, I think the most important thing will not be the championships, which should be an excellent week, but the £15 million to be invested in new facilities. The sport's popularity increases, so more safe race facilities are needed, and young/new riders can be taught how to race properly, and the unwritten etiquette of the peloton. What I see today are plenty of fit people with no clue about the latter, or decent bike handling. Accreditation scheme just like the tracks perhaps may be needed. That might make it safer for everyone. Just an old fart's opinion....

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Having the world's here would be good. Last time was 82 at Goodwood, I remember that quite well. Days of Hinault, who sent a domestique up the road, alone, who got through 160 or so lumpy kilometres in about 3-50. Astounded a lot of British TTers. :-)
If it does go to Yorkshire, I think the most important thing will not be the championships, which should be an excellent week, but the £15 million to be invested in new facilities. The sport's popularity increases, so more safe race facilities are needed, and young/new riders can be taught how to race properly, and the unwritten etiquette of the peloton. What I see today are plenty of fit people with no clue about the latter, or decent bike handling. Accreditation scheme just like the tracks perhaps may be needed. That might make it safer for everyone. Just an old fart's opinion....
Not the same thing then ?
ToC is a UCI Gran Fondo World Series (UGFWS) event. It is part of a global series of mass participation cycling events comprising the qualifying series for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships. The World Champions in each age group win the coveted UCI rainbow jersey.

oldroadman

Veteran
Not the same thing then ?
No. The Fondo series also has a final. The events are like a mass marathon but without the top pro competitors.
The World champs is for current riders selected by their federations. Nobody can "qualify" by riding a glorified sportive, you have to get selected. Which is why people like G, Yogi (Mr Stannard) and Cav ride the worlds, and "Joe Smith" rides the Fondo thingies in the hope of qualifying to ride a final which he will have to pay for, sort out own travel and hotel, and join thousands of others. UCI are punting this as an "amateur" equivalent championship, fine if that's your thing.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
No. The Fondo series also has a final. The events are like a mass marathon but without the top pro competitors.
The World champs is for current riders selected by their federations. Nobody can "qualify" by riding a glorified sportive, you have to get selected. Which is why people like G, Yogi (Mr Stannard) and Cav ride the worlds, and "Joe Smith" rides the Fondo thingies in the hope of qualifying to ride a final which he will have to pay for, sort out own travel and hotel, and join thousands of others. UCI are punting this as an "amateur" equivalent championship, fine if that's your thing.
No not my thing i just stumbled across it and assumed the amateur event would be run on the same course but obviously without the pro riders .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think there is also a separate Masters UCI world championships for age groups?
I think that's what became the Gran Fido champs. About ten years ago, you could still ride the Masters course in the Tirol which had been used a few years earlier as a marked route, although the roads would be open.

Top Bottom