Yorkshire to Copenhagan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oliverd

Regular
Hi there,

Newby here, looking for a sense-check! I'm new to touring (cycling in general really). I'm reasonably fit currently able to do around 50 miles up and down the Yorkshire Dales but looking to do a fundraiser in April next year so need to get fitter. My plan is to bike the following route from the UK, through Netherlands, Germany and up to Denmark:

Day 1 - Leeds to Hull - 70 miles - 1044 feet climbing
Overnight ferry to the Rotterdam
Day 2 - Rotterdam to Zwolle - 101 miles - 613 feet climbing
Day 3 - Zwolle to Oldenberg - 117 miles - 672 feet climbing
Day 4 - Oldenberg to Hamburg - 99 miles - 1276 feet
Day 5 - Hamburg to Hellgenhafen - 85 miles - 2078 feet
Day 6 - Hellgenhafen to Copenhagen - 121 miles - 2375 feet

I know they're some long distances, but it's relatively flat, do you reckon they are achievable?
What tips/advice would you give me?

Thanks a lot!

Check the wind direction through Holland, 100 miles or so of flat riding with a headwind isnt going to be easy.

best of Luck with the planning and fitness build up

Flat miles are not easy miles, you get stuck in the same position for hours. I did a 90miler to catch the ferry at Cuxhaven, it was a mental battle to maintain speed along an incredibly boring unrelenting concrete road.
I saw a granny bike with aerobars. Wind is a thing.
Back to back centuries are hard to maintain. You dont get to recover so need deep fitness, a well conditioned body and a riding position that had been tested.
Are you camping or what?

OP
OP
O

Oliverd

Regular
Flat miles are not easy miles, you get stuck in the same position for hours. I did a 90miler to catch the ferry at Cuxhaven, it was a mental battle to maintain speed along an incredibly boring unrelenting concrete road.
I saw a granny bike with aerobars. Wind is a thing.
Back to back centuries are hard to maintain. You dont get to recover so need deep fitness, a well conditioned body and a riding position that had been tested.
Are you camping or what?

All very good points! No, I'll stay in hostels along the way, so the bike will be light and I'll travel as light as possible.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I'd echo what others have said about flat miles across open plains - they can be brutal. And the weather in April can be very unforgiving- cold, wet and windy, even snow! Have you thought what accommodation you might be seeking?

I'm curious about about the choice of route. If fund raising is the primary driver, maybe alongside the physical challenge, there are interesting and less precarious ways to achieve both here in the UK. Sadly, I fear travel across borders may still present challenges, even eight months from now.
How about from Britain's most westerley to easterly point? Or around the boundary of Yorkshire? Or between the three GB capital cities?

Personally, I'd do it in reverse - I prefer to get complicated logistics out of the way and cycle home.

Agree with everyone about the distances. And day after day. Headwinds in NL can be cruel.

Breaking day 2 down that's 160km.
At an average of 20kph that is 8 hours, say start at 8am, finish at 4. Add in an hour for lunch, an hour for coffee breaks and that's finishing at 6pm. If you don't have mechanicals, meet nice folks or need a ferry. It's dark at 6 in early April. Then a longer day again the next day!

With those distances I'm assuming you're staying in hotels?

You'll have no time to experience the places you're passing through.

If a fundraiser, be wary of Social Media updates. They can be tricky at the tired end of the day, especially if things are not going well.

If you do a search in the forum here or even just scroll back a few pages you'll find lots of assistance.

Personally I think a first tour is very important - if it's not done right it could be the last and that would be a shame. Touring is great!^_^

Good luck!

I'd echo what others have said about flat miles across open plains -
ditto, as someone who has suffered in the Fens - hell.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I agree what others have said about flat miles being a mental battle. It’s also finding ways to keep moving on the bike to avoid numb hands and sensitive bits. I usually work on 10 mph including stops when doing loaded touring. I start Early have a snack and get some free miles in before a proper breakfast. Psychologically you always feel ahead of the game.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have never done anything approaching this, on a bicycle, however, I have driven Amsterdam - Hamburg - Middlefart - Copenhagen - Malmo - Sunne, it is a long way!

I am a little puzzled by the place name Hellgenhafen, I cannot find it!

Am I missing something?

I was puzzled that in your route, there was no mention of ferries or bridges (other than Hull-Rotterdam), and, the time delay they may introduce.

Also, do your timings allow for:

slow going in congested areas? Having cycled in several Dutch towns/cities, you do get "traffic jams" or perhaps, I should say "cycle jams". ;)

actually finding your Hostel Accommodation, and, finding food/eating places

Edit. OK, I see it Heiligenhafen

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’ve cycled to Copenhagen - solo camping, no route planning to speak of. My path was roughly Hoek, Den Oever, Groningen, Bremerhaven, Flensburg, Kolding, Odense, Copenhagen. That’s the bigger towns, not where I stopped, but just to give an idea of the route. I rode for eight days on a road bike with rear panniers.

Unloaded your route is definitely doable, especially if the weather is good and the prevailing SW wind remains kind. Whether it will be enjoyable is another matter. Will you be solo or in company? Are your overnight stays fixed or can you be flexible?

OP
OP
O

Oliverd

Regular
I'd echo what others have said about flat miles across open plains - they can be brutal. And the weather in April can be very unforgiving- cold, wet and windy, even snow! Have you thought what accommodation you might be seeking?

I'm curious about about the choice of route. If fund raising is the primary driver, maybe alongside the physical challenge, there are interesting and less precarious ways to achieve both here in the UK. Sadly, I fear travel across borders may still present challenges, even eight months from now.
How about from Britain's most westerley to easterly point? Or around the boundary of Yorkshire? Or between the three GB capital cities?

Thanks a lot for your tips! I definitely take your point about cycling cross borders.

My plan is to go for hostels of some description or cheap hotels. I want to pack as light as possible so wont be camping.

I'd originally planned LEJOG, but a few things factored in: I'd like to cycle somewhere that I actually want to go, Copenhagen is somewhere both my wife and I want to travel to (she'll fly out and meet me there and we'll fly back together). I figured cycling through Europe on cycle paths would be enjoyable as well. The second was that with work I've limited leave, so have to cram it in as quickly as possible and the minimum I thought I'd be able to do LEJOG was 10 days, but it's more hilly. So my thinking was that I could reasonably do c100 flat miles per day... hopefully. Backing it up day after day is another thing though.

OP
OP
O

Oliverd

Regular
I’ve cycled to Copenhagen - solo camping, no route planning to speak of. My path was roughly Hoek, Den Oever, Groningen, Bremerhaven, Flensburg, Kolding, Odense, Copenhagen. That’s the bigger towns, not where I stopped, but just to give an idea of the route. I rode for eight days on a road bike with rear panniers.

Unloaded your route is definitely doable, especially if the weather is good and the prevailing SW wind remains kind. Whether it will be enjoyable is another matter. Will you be solo or in company? Are your overnight stays fixed or can you be flexible?

That's really encouraging, thanks!

I'll be solo which means I can go at my own pace. I was planning on booking accommodation ahead of time so that it's locked in and I don't need to worry about finding anywhere, would you advise keeping it flexible in case of issues?

Top Bottom