Yorkshire's Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
At every major major games somebody produces a medal list including Yorkshire.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
At every major major games somebody produces a medal list including Yorkshire.

View attachment 601471
You can't claim Matty Lee for a whole gold medal - he needed help from someone outside Yorkshire to win it. On second thoughts, you can't have it at all, unless you can name a diver who would have substituted for Tom Daley and not affected their medal position.

Tenkaykev

Guru
One of our daughters moved to Leeds, our grandson was born in Jimmies, he’s nearly 11 now, a Leeds United supporter and has a Yorkshire burr. I keep trying to get him to speak proper, with a Dorset accent ( Orlroight my ‘ansome ), whenever they visit but he just looks at me as though I’m demented 🤔
Beautiful county, we’ve done a fair bit of walking up there, and had a fabulous time watching Le Grande Depart of the TDF.

T4tomo

Guru
apparently somewhere called Maidenhead think they're worth of a similar table :wacko:

unless you can name a diver who would have substituted for Tom Daley
no problem ... Jamie Vardy:okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
I love the way that the various Yorkshite factions are quite derogatory about Leeds - understandably so to my mind - but are quick to claim the glory when one of its sons does something other than die of a heroin overdose.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
One of our daughters moved to Leeds, our grandson was born in Jimmies, he’s nearly 11 now, a Leeds United supporter and has a Yorkshire burr. I keep trying to get him to speak proper, with a Dorset accent ( Orlroight my ‘ansome ), whenever they visit but he just looks at me as though I’m demented 🤔
Beautiful county, we’ve done a fair bit of walking up there, and had a fabulous time watching Le Grande Depart of the TDF.

My son was born at Jimmy's. He lived in Leeds for the first six months of his life, then in California for the following seven years and now Wiltshire for the past four. Yet apparently he's a Northener!

A Northern Californian? Yep. A North Wiltshirer? Yep. Nope, apparently he's a Yorkshireman, a Northerner and a member of House Stark.

T4tomo

Guru
My son was born at Jimmy's. He lived in Leeds for the first six months of his life, then in California for the following seven years and now Wiltshire for the past four. Yet apparently he's a Northener!

A Northern Californian? Yep. A North Wiltshirer? Yep. Nope, apparently he's a Yorkshireman, a Northerner and a member of House Stark.
My son has never lived anywhere other than Hertfordshire, but gladly claims his Yorkshire heritage and YCCC & Boro as his sporting allegiances.

We still refer to Leeds as Dirty Leeds though...

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I do begrudgingly admire the pride Yorkshire folk take in their home county. It is darn beautiful even if it does rain ALL THE TIME.

(My husband - boyfriend at the time - lured me up to live in Leeds by taking me to Rounday Park on a glorious sunny day, feeding me cake and driving me to the Dales. I agreed, moved to Leeds and didn't see the sun again for six years.)

Top Bottom