You and Yours - Radio 4, 13 Feb, noon ; cyclists and trucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I've just heard that the 'You and Yours' this lunchtime on Radio 4 has a feature that might be worth a listen;

what features ought be made compulsory for trucks to enhance cyclist safety (I'm paraphrasing badly!)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm not sure that you have the right day. The programme listing says this:

A new website offering to slash the cost of student accommodation when you choose a university away from your home town. Are unpaid internships exploitative or a great way for young people to get a foot in the door? Would you fancy working for free for ten months, with no job offer at the end of it? And - would you watch a TV channel totally dedicated to shoes? One UK retailer is betting that enough of you will tune in to make it millions.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Well, the trailer they just ran didn't mention and it seemed as advertised on the web? I'll listen anyway but I'm intrigued now!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Yes it is! After 12:30. They've just mentioned it on the program summary.

Edit: you can call the program now if you have any comments.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If anybody is interested, the item came up after about 40 minutes.

When the explanation that some construction lorries are exempt from having side bars because they can snag on rough terrain and construction equipment on construction sites came up, I was left thinking:

How difficult or expensive would it be to fit something like a liftable skirt so that they're site-safe when it's up and road-safe when it's down? Neither difficult nor expensive, I'd wager. Where there's a will there's a way....

OP
OP
Y

yello

Apologies for not updating. Whilst I personally found it interesting there wasn't anything earth shattering.

I don't know what the safety rails are but I could kind of guess from context.

More interesting, for me, was the first section on the haulage company that was investigating sensors and camera etc. They seemed to be taking the issue seriously. The sensors down the side of the truck seemed of particular practicality to me; basically, they detect movement down the left hand side of the truck and alert both the cyclist/pedestrian and the driver.

The haulage fed president (or whatever he was) was the model of diplomacy and wasn't going to be drawn into contentious areas. He gave a very reasoned and measured interview, as one would expect, and very much ran the 'shared responsibility' line.

All in all, worth a listen but nothing to get stirred up about.

dawesome

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bwfy8#p00p4b26

Eilidh's family have done truly amazing things.

Top Bottom