You can vote for Sustrans online now!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

john59

Guru
Online voting for The People's £50 Million Lottery Giveaway is now open.

To register your online vote for Sustrans' Connect2 please do the following,

If you have not already registered at The People's £50 Million website you will need to do so before you can vote. Please use this link to go direct to the registration page -
The People's £50 Million Website and complete all the required details.

John

Womble

Good thinking - was about to post this myself. Don't know if it's worth moving this to another forum where it would get noticed more. That amount of money could make a real difference.

domtyler

Über Member
Why would I want to shoot myself in the foot? As far as I know Sustrans is an organisation set up to move cyclists off public roads onto poorly maintained off road cycle farcilities.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I'm sorry, but cycling provision is just one part of the country's transport infrastructure. We spend loads of tax payers money each year on 'transport', and if there's enough money to build the new, but entirely pointless, A1/M62 motorway interchange extravaganza, then no one can claim poor cycling provision is through lack of money. It's just we haven't convinced them to spend it on the right things yet.

I too would vote for either the Dudley Park or Sherwood Forest (although I live near neither). Both would be great long term improvements and probably wouldn't get funded any other way.

Danny

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
Why would I want to shoot myself in the foot? As far as I know Sustrans is an organisation set up to move cyclists off public roads onto poorly maintained off road cycle farcilities.

This is complete rubbish. The majority of Sustrans routes are actually on public roads. They only build off road facilities where there is a need to bypass busy and dangerous main roads.

Most of their off road routes that I have been on are well maintained, though a minority are not - much like the public road system!

Sustrans is a charity and can only do so much with its limited funding - hence the lottery bid.

wafflycat

Dannyg said:
This is complete rubbish. The majority of Sustrans routes are actually on public roads. They only build off road facilities where there is a need to bypass busy and dangerous main roads.

Most of their off road routes that I have been on are well maintained, though a minority are not - much like the public road system!

Sustrans is a charity and can only do so much with its limited funding - hence the lottery bid.

Not true. There's a section down from me where the road is neither busy nor dangerous, yet an NCN route has been put on to a narrow public footpath which is entirely unsuitable and dangerous, as it takes cyclists off the road and straight into a concrete bollard. There's also a large stretch of another NCN which is effectively unuseable by anything other than an offroad bike due to the surface of it - in winter it turns into a mudbath. A town near to me I avoid cycling in (King's Lynn), not due to the roads, but to the sheer abundance of cycle farcilities which are shared use, quite a few of which form part of an NCN route. A white paint outline bike on a footpath does not an adequate farcility make. I avoid cycling in Lynn as on the NCN there's so much broken glass I had three punctures in under half-an-hour last time I tried it. Then there's the hassle from local motorists to "get off the road!" and hassle from the peds to "Get off the footpath!" Sorry, but my experience of several Sustrans routes is a definite NO THANK YOU

wafflycat

Certainly not on yet more farcilities. Could be useful spent on training and on public education that the roads are for sharing and on promoting the fun and health benefits of cycling.... Much easier to stick in yet more farcilities though :biggrin:

Top Bottom