You can't cycle that far!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Here's a thought... might insurers, once they realise that cycling ~10 miles to work is feasible, suggest a bicycle to car drivers who find themselves unable to commute to work after a crash?

After all, you're duty-bound to mitigate your costs.

GC
That's OK - if you're a non-cyclist they would need to pay for a bike, cycling clothing, helmet*, lights, panniers, shoes etc.

*whether you wear one or not, get them to fork out for it

Sara_H

Guru
That's OK - if you're a non-cyclist they would need to pay for a bike, cycling clothing, helmet*, lights, panniers, shoes etc.

*whether you wear one or not, get them to fork out for it
They could start providing courtesy bikes instead of courtesy cars.

jay clock

Massive member
Any chance of namin'n'shamin the company? I work for a large insurance company based in Norwich and am dreading it being us. If you can't confirm then please just deny...
My most recent insurance company experience (yes the Norwich ones) went as follows
1 Daughter writes off 5 year old Fiesta
2 Like for like identical cars are available from Ford main dealers for 5000 pds (and cheaper from non main dealer)
3 I prepare for Aviva offering me 3000, and having to argue up to 3500
4 Aviva ring up and offer 4850.
5 Oh bugger, I was expecting to haggle.
6 Money in account within 12 days of crash.......

Sara_H

Guru
No one is denying that, but the true cost scale of the extra expense is what has to be agreed.
The cost is whatever it costs - when my car was crashed into it took a while for the courtesy car to come during which time I took and claimed for taxi's for all journeys that I would've usually made by car as the bus didn't go direct and took longer, I didn't get any arguments from the insurance company about that.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think the outrage is caused by the fact that it is a really stupid assumption that the claimant is lying about cycling ten miles to work. They are effectively accusing the claimant of lying based on a totally false premise, which is discourteous to say the least.

They are checking facts, not calling somebody a liar. Have you seen the letter?

Here is one fact for you, there are a lot of false claims going about which push up premium costs.

Most of you are getting shirty purely because it is very slightly cycling related.

screenman

Legendary Member
There are a lot of posts on this subject saying how many people they know of who are amazed they ride or walk or even run their own bath. Maybe that is why the insurers are doing their job properly.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Wonder what would have happened on my 260 mile commute:whistle:
You see me going the other way on my 261 mile commute ;)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I used to get funny looks when I told people I only ride six miles each way to work every day but when I did the college run once a week it went up to forty two miles each way :eek: I wonder what the insurance company would say to that mileage ??? Just sounds like another dirty trick to protect the "poor" motorist !

Top Bottom