You can't cycle that far!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I have had to claim 4 times in my life from insurance companies each time it has been an easy and efficient job. I really cannot get you guys who just expect the insurers to chuck out money and then complain when the premiums rise.

So many of you see 10 miles as an easy ride, like you I do as well, however this is not the norm nowadays.

The insurers have not say they will not pay, they are just asking for a little more justification.

As for naming and shaming come on this is not what a forum should be about, as personal experiences vary from one person to another.
I think the outrage is caused by the fact that it is a really stupid assumption that the claimant is lying about cycling ten miles to work. They are effectively accusing the claimant of lying based on a totally false premise, which is discourteous to say the least.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The insurance company will want to establish whether this lady cycles 10 miles every day or just occasionally. If she usually cycles twice a week but gets the bus or taxi 3 times a week, then the Insurance company wont be paying for for costs that are usually incurred. Equally, if she cycles in the good weather but gets the bus in the rain, they wont pay extended costs when she wouldnt usually ride in anyway.

As I said above, and lots of others have said, the wording of the letter, if reported correctly, is wrong, but the principle of establishing the true cost of the loss is correct.

Not everyone who works in an insurance company is a cycle expert, and some people do regard 10 miles each way as a huge obstacle. What would you do if faced with a claimant who said they cycled 30 miles to work every day? You would probably think, 60 mile round trip every day, Hmmm, that sounds a bit fishy, maybe they do that occasionally but not every day, lets see so proof to support the claim. But that is because we know that 10 mile is very manageble but 30 is harder.

Dmcd33

Definate case of stalling and trying every possible way of making you think "oh, I give up".

I do 8 miles without breaking sweat now, but people still can't believe I cycle that far. I used to think London to Brighton was something you needed to train for months to do, but now I do it for a sunday training day. It's all about perception of the other person.

to be fair though, I know people who find it amazing that I would consider walking 2miles on a sunny day???? I once refused to get in my brothers car as he wanted to drive 300yards to the laundrette on a campsite in the sun?????

400bhp

Guru
Definate case of stalling and trying every possible way of making you think "oh, I give up".

Well, actually no. The letter (if the wording is along the lines given by the OP) is likely to have angered the insured and make them try even harder to get a succesful outcome

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, actually no. The letter (if the wording is along the lines given by the OP) is likely to have angered the insured and make them try even harder to get a succesful outcome

This.

If the rider is like anyone on here, they will probably return, "well I only live 3 miles from work, so cycle the long way". Still baffles most of my colleagues and friends.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'd struggle to get any taxi fare if there was alternative transport.

I ended up using the bus for two weeks after my shoulder op - wasn't wise to drive far anyway, and bus was 'cheapest' option. The insurers expect you to mitigate your losses. The buggers also ask if you have access to other bikes. In that stance, you should claim 20p per mile for cycling.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not the case that all insurance companies are intent on delaying/not paying out.

I had occasion to claim on a travel policy not so long ago - not a huge claim, but I got a friendly call straight back from them saying if I provided another bit of paper they'd waive the excess and pay the full amount of my loss. :hyper:

Guess who I will be using next time ?

ClaireSaud

Veteran
This.

If the rider is like anyone on here, they will probably return, "well I only live 3 miles from work, so cycle the long way". Still baffles most of my colleagues and friends.
That is me!!! I only live 3 miles away but extend my route to 10 miles each way. They all think I'm crackers for doing it :wacko:

Sara_H

Guru
The insurance company will want to establish whether this lady cycles 10 miles every day or just occasionally. If she usually cycles twice a week but gets the bus or taxi 3 times a week, then the Insurance company wont be paying for for costs that are usually incurred. Equally, if she cycles in the good weather but gets the bus in the rain, they wont pay extended costs when she wouldnt usually ride in anyway.

As I said above, and lots of others have said, the wording of the letter, if reported correctly, is wrong, but the principle of establishing the true cost of the loss is correct.

Not everyone who works in an insurance company is a cycle expert, and some people do regard 10 miles each way as a huge obstacle. What would you do if faced with a claimant who said they cycled 30 miles to work every day? You would probably think, 60 mile round trip every day, Hmmm, that sounds a bit fishy, maybe they do that occasionally but not every day, lets see so proof to support the claim. But that is because we know that 10 mile is very manageble but 30 is harder.
Unless they've provided her with another bike, getting to work is going to incur costs ie bus/taxi fare that should be met by the insurance company.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Unless they've provided her with another bike, getting to work is going to incur costs ie bus/taxi fare that should be met by the insurance company.
No one is denying that, but the true cost scale of the extra expense is what has to be agreed.

Top Bottom