You can't cycle that far!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Wow that's hilarious how does one go about supporting this claim is it possible you wild have to provide evidence of you cycling that distance somehow?
It would be easy if you upload your Garmin/GPS device ride data to any of the logging sites.
Although in this case they're having a laugh.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tell your colleague to send in pics of her sat on top of a mountain with her bike, and go "na na na nah na "!

Un-blooming-believable !

10 miles is the magic number !!

L14M

Über Member
What a stupid insurance company, perhaps get her to send them a strava segment etc?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Tell them to lend her a bike (same value or greater) and if she can cycle the 10 miles she gets to keep it!

I assume she hasn't ever logged her rides online? At least I now have a valid reason for doing so! As proof I can and do cycle 10 miles!!! Thinking about it from the opposite angle ... shouldn't they question why someone has an accident driving to pick up the paper just down the road ... because no one would be so stupid to do that presumably!!! (And any of the other short unnecessary journeys that are made by car!)

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
i was going to say, if the claimant has endomondo or strava they should be able to prove it, failing that have them go online and ask for people to provide logs to prove that the distance is not only possible but quite normal.

also solicitor sounds completely off his head, cheeky to even try this one.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
That will just be a letter written by some oik processing the claim. No one of any seniority within the organisation will have read the letter before it w3as issued, it won't be company policy to issue such a letter either.
If a polite response doesnt work then raise it with management as a complaint.
If it's a large insurance company they probably have a cycle to work scheme and there will be plenty of people within the organisiation who commute over 10 miles per day who can educate the author.

Oh please FFS EVEN even I could manage that (providing no big hills!) :bicycle:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Wow that's hilarious, how does one go about countering this claim? Is it possible you would have to provide evidence of you cycling that distance somehow?

I'd invite one of the numpties to do the trip with me. I'd even lend them a bike and I would take my "Man Scooter"

Steve

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I hope your employee is OK.

I expect if the company have to admit she was riding, their next claim will be she was clearly at the limits of human endurance and was in no fit state to be on the road, she probably veered uncontrollably from exhaustion straight into and over the car bonnet of the poor driver, who had to be treated for shock and took a few days off work to recover fully from the trauma. The cyclist will no doubt be billed for this loss of earnings in due course:wacko:

Crankarm

Guru
This just proves what shytes work in insurance. It is neither here nor there as the claim is that their insured was NEGLIGENT. If the remark is in writing and then you disclose it to a court it will look even worse for the idiot insurers. It was probably made by a temp monkey working as a placement in their claims department. Sue them. The claimant cyclist will have the last laugh. This is all.

Archeress

Veteran
:surrender: I think the insurance company is being awkward, I'm cringing though as my new job is with a car insurance broker. We have a separate claims dept with our parent company so we don't deal with the claims.

Hugs
Archeress x

Davidc

Guru
Invite them to canvass commuters on here, YACF, and any other cycling forum they like to choose, as to the distances people commute!

As Crankarm says, if they try that in court it shouldn't be difficult to make them look idiots. Trouble is that many people believe that cycling 10 miles is impossible for normal cyclists. The responses I get when I mention the short trips I routinely make are bad enough, commenting that I regularly ride 30 or 40 miles and up to 108 last year gets open jawed amazement.

Top Bottom