You can't cycle that far!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
This does not sound like a dispute of liability but a cost question. If the claimant is claiming for taxi fares for a 20 mile round trip due to not being able to cycle , the insurance company have a duty to other policyholders to verify the amount being claimed rather than pay the first figure comes in.
Whilst the lady in question is honest , a vast number of insurance claims are over inflated and this costs all policyholders.

400bhp

Guru
This does not sound like a dispute of liability but a cost question. If the claimant is claiming for taxi fares for a 20 mile round trip due to not being able to cycle , the insurance company have a duty to other policyholders to verify the amount being claimed rather than pay the first figure comes in.
Whilst the lady in question is honest , a vast number of insurance claims are over inflated and this costs all policyholders.

So, why not ask for some kind of proof that the bicycle was legitimately used for commuting, rather than sone ludicrous child like response?

Firestorm

Veteran
So, why not ask for some kind of proof that the bicycle was legitimately used for commuting, rather than sone ludicrous child like response?
Without actually seeing the response I would not be able to comment as to whether it was child like or not
Considering the OP gave a second hand summary of what was said. For example I doubt that her evidence was disputed, more likely that the figures claimed for would need to be evidenced, I imagine that what has been requested and how it has been interpreted/ relayed here are two different things.

buggi

Bird Saviour
she only needs to produce receipts. Or a utility bill with address and letter from employee stating work address . You're not gonna take a 20 mile trip to work in a taxi if you don't have to.

jarlrmai

Veteran
What's the deal with the loss of a commuter bike, would insurance companies cover a cab fair for a 20 mile round trip if public transport were available?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What's the deal with the loss of a commuter bike, would insurance companies cover a cab fair for a 20 mile round trip if public transport were available?
I expect that if you use your own private transport to make a journey at a time that suits your requirements then they would be hard pushed to argue that you should use public transport instead. The best thing about lodging a claim for 'expensive' taxi fares is that it will rather focus the mind of the liable insurance company to settle the claim quickly rather than dragging things out and incurring massive incidental costs that in the case of a damaged bike could far outweigh the cost of replacement. 2 weeks of taxis at £40 a day would be enough to encourage any company to pay up quick for a £700-800 commuter bike :laugh:

400bhp

Guru
Without actually seeing the response I would not be able to comment as to whether it was child like or not
Considering the OP gave a second hand summary of what was said. For example I doubt that her evidence was disputed, more likely that the figures claimed for would need to be evidenced, I imagine that what has been requested and how it has been interpreted/ relayed here are two different things.

The insurance company is now disputing her evidence on the grounds that she cannot possible commute 10 miles each way on a Bicycle!

I doubt the OP is making it up as he seems reasonably intelligent from past history.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had my bike nicked from school when I was 13 and I didn't ride a bike again for 20 years. I unexpectedly had to work late one night and missed my lift so somebody lent me a bike and I did this lumpy 14.7 mile ride home ...

Impromptu commute.gif

A 10 mile commute impossible? I did 50% more than that on my very first attempt, on a heavy bike which was 2 sizes too small for me! :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
I have had to claim 4 times in my life from insurance companies each time it has been an easy and efficient job. I really cannot get you guys who just expect the insurers to chuck out money and then complain when the premiums rise.

So many of you see 10 miles as an easy ride, like you I do as well, however this is not the norm nowadays.

The insurers have not say they will not pay, they are just asking for a little more justification.

As for naming and shaming come on this is not what a forum should be about, as personal experiences vary from one person to another.

jarlrmai

Veteran
It comes down to the actual wording, specifically if they actually said it is "not possible" or if this is just someone's interpretation of a simple request for evidence of the distance.

400bhp

Guru
I have had to claim 4 times in my life from insurance companies each time it has been an easy and efficient job. I really cannot get you guys who just expect the insurers to chuck out money and then complain when the premiums rise.

So many of you see 10 miles as an easy ride, like you I do as well, however this is not the norm nowadays.

The insurers have not say they will not pay, they are just asking for a little more justification.

As for naming and shaming come on this is not what a forum should be about, as personal experiences vary from one person to another.

Completely agree fella, however this is more about the suggested language of the insurer. There are far better ways to handle the circumstance which I have alluded to above.

It just goes to show how important communication is in the financial game (irrespoective of the actual wording used, it hasn't been communicated well which has led to the OP posting), which I have to tkink about a lot.

Leodis

Veteran
The mentality of some people never shocks me. I regularly visit the lakes, my wife has a bad back so cant tackle the high level walks so we do some low level and I a couple of times go high alone but the amount of people we see who drive from one café, pub or spot to another without getting further than a few yards from their car has me shaking my head at times.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
One of my staff was knocked off their bike (classic SMIDSY), and has claimed against the driver's insurance.

The insurance company is now disputing her evidence on the grounds that she cannot possible commute 10 miles each way on a Bicycle!

Was she travelling to (or from) work when she was knocked off?

GC

Paul99

Über Member
This just proves what shytes work in insurance. It is neither here nor there as the claim is that their insured was NEGLIGENT. If the remark is in writing and then you disclose it to a court it will look even worse for the idiot insurers. It was probably made by a temp monkey working as a placement in their claims department. Sue them. The claimant cyclist will have the last laugh. This is all.

There are some twats that work in the insurance industry.

There are some twats that don't work in the insurance industry.

There are some twats on the internet.

Top Bottom