You can't go wrong with god on your side.....can you ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
This has a very serious side so I am not making light of a situation. Its more of an observation and to see the general consensus.
A friend of our is very god fearing....as is her 99+ year old mother.
The mother has just had a serious fall down the stairs.
Among other things she has.....
Broken neck
Fractured scull
Bleed on the brain
Broken leg
She is unconscious.
2 ambulances and a helicopter arrived.
Our friend said....."god must have been with her".
Now I have known the family for 40+ years and confess to shedding a few tears BUT...
such terrible injuries and she believes god was with her.......its beyond my way of thinking.
NB
I am not anti religious (apart from the obvious hard liners that believe it entitles them to hurt others).

numbnuts

Legendary Member
God works in mysterious ways............:angel:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
People seldom make rational decisions or statements under such terrible circumstances.... If such thoughts give comfort... what harm is done?

Personally, I am a total non-believer, but, I am not brave enough to declare I would not, perhaps, offer up a little prayer in such dire personal circumstances.

The problem with that sort of thinking is that it very quickly leads to the old
"I don't need a vaccine because God will protect me"
or even
"If you had been a good person and trusted God then this wouldn;t have happened to you"
and before you know it you are in one of 'those" parts of the USA

quite a dangerous attitude in some ways

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In other news a nurse was forced out of her job and relegated to a more menial job and eventually resigned all because she refused to hide her crucifix while fellow workers belonging to other groups wore religious symbols. She is taking her hospital employer to a tribunal.
Don’t get me wrong I’m also a non believer but there has to be an even playing field for those that believe in this stuff.
I think the older you get and the closer you get to ‘meeting your maker‘ the more you believe. This was certainly the case with my mother.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I am a staunch atheist, and have been since about the age of 16. My dad, always a kind of believer who didn't really take it that seriously, got pretty religious in his final few days. I saw how it genuinely helped him to cope with what was happening to him, and there and then vowed never to use anyone's belief in whatever god as a judgment of their character. I don't share their beliefs, and indeed find them absurd, but there you go.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In other news a nurse was forced out of her job and relegated to a more menial job and eventually resigned all because she refused to hide her crucifix while fellow workers belonging to other groups wore religious symbols. She is taking her hospital employer to a tribunal.
Don’t get me wrong I’m also a non believer but there has to be an even playing field for those that believe in this stuff.
I think the older you get and the closer you get to ‘meeting your maker‘ the more you believe. This was certainly the case with my mother.
I tend to agree with that as logically when I die I just cease to exist but I have had some strange things happen which are beyond logical explanation. Hedging my bets these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom