You don't pay road tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A reasonable number of cyclists also have a car - so the I do pay "road tax" could be appropriate - then say you are really hard up and can't afford to keep paying these taxes so could you have £5 for some fuel please:biggrin: They don't need to know the fuel you want is CAKE!

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Just shout at them in the style of Father Jack, "Oi Loike CAKE!". Then ride off. ;)

mm101

Roads were originally built for the horse and cart. Then came the bicycle. Then the car. The car because of its very nature needs the infrastructure of traffic lights, carriageways, traffic calming, maintenance ad nauseum so it is right those choosing to drive a car should contribute.

As we know VED is not ring-fenced to pay for the roads. And as mentioned part comes from general taxation and part from local taxation, so all tax payers pay for the roads

I don't think such a fatuous, ill-informed remark from a motorist requires anything but a bemused expression.

OP
OP
L

Lizban

mm101 said:
Roads were originally built for the horse and cart. Then came the bicycle. Then the car. The car because of its very nature needs the infrastructure of traffic lights, carriageways, traffic calming, maintenance ad nauseum so it is right those choosing to drive a car should contribute.

As we know VED is not ring-fenced to pay for the roads. And as mentioned part comes from general taxation and part from local taxation, so all tax payers pay for the roads

I don't think such a fatuous, ill-informed remark from a motorist requires anything but a bemused expression.

Let me try and explain this again - what you say is clearly correct to a point

BUT a motorist to use the road must pay tax - (either VED if requried or fuel duty) - The common parlance for this is 'road tax' - technically not correct for the reason you and others have listed but a neat little short hand.

Therefore to drive he must pay a tax that cyclists don't. So the simple reply of saying to the motorist you are wrong I think is in fact incorrect. Hence the point of this discussion

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a moton's choice is it not that they pay the tax? They don't have to pay it. And if they don't want to pay it then get a bike or use public transport. As someone previously said, owning a car is a lifestyle choice, it's not an essential.

Lizban said:

BUT a motorist to use the road must pay tax - (either VED if requried or fuel duty) - The common parlance for this is 'road tax' - technically not correct for the reason you and others have listed but a neat little short hand.

Therefore to drive he must pay a tax that cyclists don't. So the simple reply of saying to the motorist you are wrong I think is in fact incorrect. Hence the point of this discussion

So what? It is the choice of everyone how they get around. Be it bike, foot, bus, horse or car. If someone chooses to use method that the government take extra cash for, that is thier choice to pay it.

ETA: ian has the faster fingers

mm101

Lizban said:

I see, Liz. As a couple of other posters have pointed out, the only thing the motorist can do is sell his car and get a bike. Is all about choice i suppose. You pays your money you takes your choice.

BLAKEY063

I do pay road tax, on two vehicles, I just want to cycle today!

CotterPin

At the heart of the issue is that some people just cannot conceive of the notion that they might not need, or could reduce their use of, a motor vehicle. For such people, driving is as natural as breathing - and who would put a tax on air????!!!!

Will1985

Über Member
Lizban said:

Yawn :angry:
You don't see people yelling at G-Wiz owners because they haven't paid any road tax do you? We have covered all this before - if the government wanted to issue "tax discs" to all bicycles, they could but we wouldn't have to pay anything for them....a pointless exercise I think you'll agree.
The change to emissions based VED has probably made it easier for the cyclist's argument.

Therefore to drive he must pay a tax that cyclists don't. So the simple reply of saying to the motorist you are wrong I think is in fact incorrect.
But then most drivers are so ignorant that they think that "road tax" gives them the right over cyclists to use the road. We have to reach them on their own level.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :troll: :troll:

PBancroft

Lizban said:

The point of saying "wrong" isn't just a semantic argument. A cyclist does pay for the road, through alternative means of taxation. VED is graduated, so lower emitting vehicles pay less tax as others have pointed out. If bikes were to be taxed, their rate would be £0. The reason that drivers pay this, and cyclists don't, is pretty much a no-brainer - it would cost much more to implement and run than would ever be recouped should cyclists be taxed, because the income would be exactly £0.

Similarly, cyclists don't pay tax on fuel, because they don't use fuel except what they eat (which may already be taxed at various points in its production). The Fuel Price Escalator was introduced as a means of stemming pollution and road building - more cars means more and bigger roads whilst bikes take up comparatively little space. Don't forget that fuel duty is actually Hydrocarbon oil duty, and that some vehicles receive a rebate - specifically bus operators. Would you suggest that cars have a greater right to use the road than buses as well?

There is an argument to suggest that red diesel should be taxed because the effect of its use is the same as other fuels - but that is hardly the fault of the cyclist.

Yes, drivers might feel that they have to pay when cyclists don't, and they may feel that this is unfair. It doesn't make them right, and in my humble opinion they are not.

OP
OP
L

Lizban

Will1985 said:
Yawn :angry:

But then most drivers are so ignorant that they think that "road tax" gives them the right over cyclists to use the road. We have to reach them on their own level.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :troll: :troll:

You've hit the nail on the head

Top Bottom