You don't pay road tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

Lizban

HJ said:
Evidently you are not a tax accountant, cars that are electric, or with very low CO2 emissions of 110 grams or less per kilometre (g/km) driven, qualify for a 100 per cent capital allowance until 31 March 2013. Also cars in VED Band A (CO2 Emission up to 100 g/km) pay £0 VED. Of course there are other taxes which apply to these vehicles, such as 15% VAT when you buy them. Strangely enough this is the same rate of VAT as you pay on a new bike, but you don't get a £2000 subsidy when you scrap a ten year old bike...

No.

Once upon a time, long, long, ago there was a thing called the road fund, well from 1910 up until 1936 when it was abolished by Winston Churchill (who was Chancellor of the Exchequer at the time). For some strange reason many driver think that they still pay for the road fund, they don't roads are paid for out of general taxation. We all pay tax and the same proportion of that tax is used to pay for the roads. QED we all pay for the roads.

Now if you do know of a way in which riding a bike make you exempt from tax, my account would very much like to know about it....

Red diesel is a tax exemption for certain industries, such as agriculture, you can not legally drive a vehicle using red diesel on the roads.

HJ thanks for the long expansive reply it has some good history in it, sadly it misses the point, I fully understand VED - and if read earlier in the thread that's clear - but you are missing the key element in fuel duty.

So I repeat I don't know a way you can drive on a UK road without paying tax to do so. (Unless there is an electric car I'm unaware of that actually is practical)

So I further repeat the motorist saying you don't pay road tax have a point (they are simply not very precise with their language and we are trying wriggle an answer based on this lack of precession which I don’t think furthers the argument.

wafflycat

Lizban said:
So I further repeat the motorist saying you don't pay road tax have a point (they are simply not very precise with their language and we are trying wriggle an answer based on this lack of precession which I don’t think furthers the argument.

No it's not that they are just not precise with language. They are this: wrong.

And I say that as a motorist as well as a cyclist and a pedestrian.

EDIT: New member, 18 posts.. 15 of which are arguing about a non-existant tax which is used to erroneously berate cyclists about using the road. Do I smell a hint of troll here?

OP
OP
L

Lizban

wafflycat said:

So how does a motorist drive on the road and not pay tax?

(don't forget fuel duty before spurting the £0 VED band line )

OP
OP
L

Lizban

wafflycat said:

EDIT: New member, 18 posts.. 15 of which are arguing about a non-existant tax which is used to erroneously berate cyclists about using the road. Do I smell a hint of troll here?

Or someone who presents an alternative view to the majority to create debate - that's for people to decide - personally I think it has been a good discussion with different views presented you clearly don't (and haven't answered my previous question)

BSA

Lizban said:
So I repeat I don't know a way you can drive on a UK road without paying tax to do so. (Unless there is an electric car I'm unaware of that actually is practical)

I dont see how you can live as an adult without paying tax.

PpPete

Legendary Member
TwickenhamCyclist said:

The alternative view is that we are all citizens (or to be more accurate, subjects) of the UK

Hello ! this the pedantry thread?
TC - we are Citizens of the UK - we are subjects of her Britannic Majesty
Sure my passport used to say something like that...

OP
OP
L

Lizban

BSA said:
I dont see how you can live as an adult without paying tax.

Agreed. but if you pay more for somthing than someone else is it not human nature to want more from it?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Lizban said:
Agreed. but if you pay more for somthing than someone else is it not human nature to want more from it?

To want, probably. To actually have a valid claim? Not necessarily.

Cars (by and large) are about ease and convenience. If you wish to pay a little extra for these "comforts", then go ahead, but don't presume that they are rights.

PpPete

Legendary Member
My favorite riposte (not mine - just copied from elsewhere)

"You're right mate - cyclists should pay twice as much road tax"

pause for bafflement on part of eejit motorist

"after all, we've got 2 accelerator pedals"

Lizban said:

VED is a small part of a large general taxation pot, out of which roads are maintained. The far greater part is made up of income tax. I (and many other cyclists) earn more than the average wage, as we are better educated, fitter, healthier and less stressed. So we contribute more to general pot, while causing less damage to roads, the air, people's eardrums, buildings, the rivers, the geopolitical situation, and human rights in resource-rich-but-democracy-poor countries. So cyclists are already paying more for roads. So get your nasty smelly car out of my way, like a good chap.

Ranger

OK, so taxes are a pain in the arse and we don't like paying them. Tell me something new

However the fact that motorists have to pay tax is due to the cost to society for this activity (externalities remember) and so the people taking part in this are penalised financially.

Try to remember that the money taken in taxes from whatever are used for all sorts of things, some of which you may not agree with (e.g. wars in Iraq, propping up banks, animal testing) but frankly that is just tough, get on with your life

Top Bottom